Recommend me an electric power steering rack.

Has anyone on here had anything to do with electric power steering racks? 
my build has 16” coilovers and 4 link arms on the front allowing up and down movement only, unlike a panhard rod that moves in an arcing motion. To  eliminate bump steer i intend to use an electric steering rack of something heavy to bolt to the top front of the axle. What i need to know is do they require a module to work or can it be bypassed or something, maybe a potentiometer or resistors? Ideally the rack will come off something with the rack in front of the wheels not behind as i don’t fancy reverse steering😂. The truck is road legal so hydraulic is out of the question, and a conventional box would result in horrific amounts of bump steer. Please only comment if you have some knowledge of electric steering racks. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. 

Octobox

Electric power steering is normally done on the column, not the rack.... So then you just need an unassisted rack of your choice bolted to the axle.

It is doable to get the column down to a rack on the axle, have seen it on a US racer, but it involved quite a convoluted path...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, landroversforever said:

How are you planning on getting the mechanical connection to the rack? Electric racks I've seen are only assisted.

Hi i intend to use a custom made spline arrangement, you can get any diameter up to 4m long made up using delrin a hard acetal plastic as a internal wear resistant sleeve with universal joints either end where it goes into a miter box then up to the steering wheel. 

12 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Electric power steering is normally done on the column, not the rack.... So then you just need an unassisted rack of your choice bolted to the axle.

It is doable to get the column down to a rack on the axle, have seen it on a US racer, but it involved quite a convoluted path...

Hi from what i can tell that how it was being done earlier on, i think most modern stuff has the motor built onto the rack using a ball screw arrangement. Do you know if the column arrangements used an ecm or where they just simple power in jobbies?

7 hours ago, geoffbeaumont said:

Will either of those give enough assistance? Corsa and Yaris are both a wee bit smaller than a land rover....

Brother in law has fitted a Corsa one to his Unimog 404 and says its great. Not quite one finger twirling, but more than good enough.

On 5/11/2022 at 1:55 PM, geoffbeaumont said:

Will either of those give enough assistance? Corsa and Yaris are both a wee bit smaller than a land rover....

I set up a Corsa C box to be radio controlled.  It provides plenty of torque to steer, even a big car remotely.

You can buy boxes on eBay which will fool the built in ECU into thiking it's connected to a car - and to dial up the amount of assistance you want.  On a car (generally) the amount of assistance is inversely proportional to the speed.  If you tell it, its stationary - you get loads of assist!

I believe they provide more torque than necessary for the lane departure warning thingy which lurches back in to the lane when you try & overtake without signalling 😮

• Like 1

I've done the Corsa C mod on a Series. To give you and idea of the output I measured the torque required to move the steering wheel while stationary and the assistance turned off, with 7.50 tyres it was about 35Nm, with the power steering turned up to maximum that dropped to 6Nm so somewhere around 25Nm of assistance is available.

• Like 1

The Corsa B & C stuff is getting very difficult to come by these days from what I hear about. We actually build a fully adjustable control module to plug into those steerings racks. Rotary switch offering 10 different levels of assistance (well 9 and off). In fact I'm just building up another 50 of them for Roger @ Power Steering Solutions.

We've done some fully remote versions as well that have been used for a load of stunt work in big films as well so if you fancy a remote control Land Rover... There is a video somewhere on Roger's Facebook page of a prototype Corsa being driven around my parents farm, Roger was at the top of the field with the remote control and Mum was inside the Corsa doing pedals - she found it very weird.

Yup - this is the whole module, apart from a basic wiring loom to be attached, the circuit board is mounted on the back of the switch which is then plug an play into the Corsa ECU on the steering rack.

IMG_20220520_164126_801.thumb.jpg.55175ff06996b92ea9e6d9f18d99b1d5.jpg

Due to the difficulty in sourcing the steering racks and ECUs we are starting to look into building our own ECU. Basically we (Pi Logic) do the electronics side of things and Power Steering Solutions do most of the mechanical stuff, he's built fully custom steering racks if required.

• Like 2