P38 steering box in Defender/Disco

uninformed

Not sure how it would mount on the chassis, I expect a fair amount of modification and fabrication would be required, I think it has been done on series vehicles to add power steering so might be worth a search for info there.

They do work at a higher pressure though so you would have to fit a new power steering pump as well, not sure how this would work out. Depends on what engine you are running and what you are starting with.

Does depend on why you want to do this anyway, if you have a scrap P38 and want to use the bits then just transfer the lot pumps and pipes included, if not just buy or repair the standard power steering box then its all simple, not sure about parts availability or prices over your way which might also be a factor.

There are a few reasons. 

It has been stated that its a stronger box the the standard 4 bolt Def'r/Disco type. It mounts outboard which allows more room for engine swaps and their ancillaries. In particular for me, the M57 and the AC compressor.

There is at least one company that makes a bolt in bracket including Panhard mount.

Downsides are, longer drag link, shorter pitman arm and apparently higher operating pressure...

More turns lock to lock is a disadvantage. I have looked at it, Blackbird industries does a kit, but LHD is a problem.

I have considered it, as the defender steering box is a bit of an turd. Land rover actually did this conversion on the works V8:

image.png.53d5143abff57b97d52296547022cf08.png

Not sure if the outside the chassis location would work for me, as the wheel gets quite close at max articulation and steering.

Daan

• Like 1

Thanks Dan,

do you know if the box has more overall angle of operation (to make up for the shorter pitman)?

more turns lock to lock sounds like slower steering?

clearance should not be an issue for me as my axle housing is 150mm wider than factory. 

10 hours ago, Maverik said:

There was some good discussion on this very topic on here when LR announced the works V8 - just need to find the Thread.

I’ve seen a little bit but not much in-depth. Most are putting them in Series. I never heard it mentioned regarding the different operating pressures, and only found out about the shorter pitman arm yesterday. 

I found the Works V8 thread Bowie69 linked and there is little tech regarding the steering box.

Ill keep searching the web…

Just to throw the cat among the pigeons - I run a Disco 2 box on my 109 as someone told me those were stronger in the sector shaft, and it's entirely possible they run very similar pressure to the P38 what with sharing engines / PAS pumps.

The mounting bolt spacing is different to the usual RRC/Disco/Defender, but it does sit inboard unlike the P38 box.

2006-11-26-22h13m06.jpg

Yes I believe the D2 box is ment to be stronger than the older 4 bolt. A mate contacted Adwest years ago and that’s what they had advised him.

Operating pressure for the D2 could be either way considering they also shared the same engine as Defenders…

If I find out anything I’ll post it up 

The sector shaft is stronger compared with the defender box, however, the worm is made out of cheese. As a result the improvement is not major.

It does have fewer tuns lock to lock though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daan said:

The sector shaft is stronger compared with the defender box, however, the worm is made out of cheese. As a result the improvement is not major.

It does have fewer tuns lock to lock though.

Are you referring to the D2 steering box?

On 7/21/2022 at 5:54 AM, uninformed said:

Operating pressure for the D2 could be either way considering they also shared the same engine as Defenders…

The V8 PAS pumps in the P38 and D2 look similar but have different part numbers. Could be different internal valving for different output pressures. Same for the TD5, which surprised me. I feel it more likely the D2 would match the TD5 as in the Defender than the higher pressure used in the P38.

On the other hand, there are plenty of engine swaps out there using P38 V8s in a Defender or RRC, some with the P38 PAS pump. And they seem to cope without problems, so the other way round should be possible as well. Maybe the steering would be a bit heavier, but that shouldn't be a real problem.

On 7/18/2022 at 12:25 PM, uninformed said:

Thanks Dan,

do you know if the box has more overall angle of operation (to make up for the shorter pitman)?

more turns lock to lock sounds like slower steering?

clearance should not be an issue for me as my axle housing is 150mm wider than factory. 

I don't have the option of measuring angles accurately, but the swing of the ball joint is about 200mm lock to lock.

Daan

• Like 1