'off-road' bucket seat options

Bowie69

Yeah, they have gone up a bit since then! ~£368, but with rails that is still very good value.

Good seller, asked a couple of questions came back with more detail than needed and very polite!

Diddnt get to the work shop today but the clubman’s are in my garage…..as is one Monaco, plot twist!(don’t tell the mrs)

7C92C56B-4B1A-4A5F-9F31-3DE020C56F9F.thumb.jpeg.74615ed8d3fad0dc237fdbf1cf7f86ac.jpeg

B3053BA1-D6E9-4817-9332-DB178A2FEB25.thumb.jpeg.68d4e0471cc0556b1e4f6fca10ac4336.jpeg

Those are dimensions of the Monacos for some reason the file is too big to upload the one of the clubman but it measures 16” across the hips and 10 across the back, however due to the massive cushion you can see In the pic you don’t sit as deep into it so those measurements are kindof pointless. They don’t hug you as much as the Monaco but they are 100x comfier.  

22DCA123-A29E-42BE-89B8-8E1F11F15960.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Whipping the tape measure out again, where you've measured the Clubman seat, above the belt holes (so essentially the hip measurement) my seats are ~12".

Methinks these are skinnies and I may well be perfectly fine with a set of Clubmans, or even the Monaco Pro.

So now it is comfort vs holding -probably comfort will win in this case.

Devils advocate bit.

You aren't getting any younger or slimmer. If your back isn't shot yet, it soon will be. I know from personal experience that getting in and out of the Little Green Machine is not easy. Partly because of the seats. Unless you are going to comp it or undertake hill climbs, do you really need deep buckets. A nice set of comfy recliners out of a Mazda, Smart Car etc, would seem worth a punt

1 hour ago, Nonimouse said:

Devils advocate bit.

You aren't getting any younger or slimmer. If your back isn't shot yet, it soon will be. I know from personal experience that getting in and out of the Little Green Machine is not easy. Partly because of the seats. Unless you are going to comp it or undertake hill climbs, do you really need deep buckets. A nice set of comfy recliners out of a Mazda, Smart Car etc, would seem worth a punt

It's a good point, I've managed to work out a good way to get in and out, and my back is not complaining too much yet.... I've considered a recliner, however it adds depth to the seat back, and I'm tall-ish, and really, really don't want to be any closer to the steering wheel -the pedals are comfy as they are, again any closer and reckon it would be causing me difficulties, not as much as the steering wheel, but just trying to think ahead.

I've had a bit more of a conversation with @Stellaghost's supplier, options and sizing, very helpful again, and have plumped for a pair of these:

image.thumb.jpeg.472774c422f76a292df6d8669888030e.jpeg

A few reasons: 

• They take a 5-point harness, so I don't have to replace what I have at £££s extra expense
  • Come with side-mounting brackets/hardware
  • Wider than some others
  • More modern material (see next screengrab), hopefully harder wearing
  • My son loves sitting in the bucket+harness, and probably good for him not to be thrown about.
  • They are red. ;) 

image.jpeg.31a2a548eca963488b47e40df681b720.jpeg

Also, with one eye on the future, who knows what may happen, it could be that I enter an event just for fun (suspect this would never be competitive these days, but who knows?), at which point I'd need to think about seats all over again.

Was in two minds about vinyl, yes very practical for mud, but in reality this is never going to be roof deep through a bog hole, partly me being a bit grown upperer nowadays, and partly not wanting to spend the next 3 weeks pressure washing it off.

Many thanks to all who helped/contributed, it really did make it a LOT easier.

• Like 1

Don’t underestimate it’s competitiveness, I’ve seen the results of a race featuring a leaf sprung lightweight fitted with a v8 do a lot better than a lot of coilers. That car was also “not competitive”

obviously a lot I’ve people put a lot of money into winning but it’s still nice to go out and have fun

great seat choice, they look a lot like an unbranded upmarket cobra

• Thanks 1

I try my hardest not to be, that said, I think I am happy with what I have :)

There were a couple round here on FB marketplace, but honestly my time is valuable, and chasing a few pounds here and there and then finding they are trashed can just not be worth it sometimes.

3 hours ago, bishbosh said:

I am amazed nobody has asked how the fcuk did @Exmoor Beast get into those seats......... not even going to mention Senor @Nonimouse 😁🤣

I will admit, I was drunk. Getting in was easy, getting out was hilarious. It was Will's fault and the 'Mariner was involved

• Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 2:32 PM, miketomcat said:

And it's not mine I've only got jems now, mind I'm loosely looking for a domino pimlico.

Mike

There was one, unfinished, sat in a scrapyard in Brampton for a year or two circa 2019, wife said NO....

21 hours ago, miketomcat said:

I'm trying to convince the wife a domino pimlico is a good idea.

Mike

Theres a nice GTM on ebay in Seaton at the moment, I'm sure I could find a parking place for that.... 

• Like 1