Weighty problem....

Mr. BG 200tdi

Hello Fellow Sufferers!  Can anybody (and there must be somebody) give me the weight carrying limit for the rear "boot area" of my 200tdi Disco 1994 Manual model? This might sound a  daft question, but I've just 'won' an R380 gearbox from a mate, and I'm a bit worried about bringing it home without using a small trailer. The floor of my Disco is sound and I've got plenty of thick plywood, before anybody screams! Help and advice would be appreciated. Many Thanks.

You can lift an R380 on your own, so the Disco will hardly notice it. 🙂

I've carried between 600 and 1000kgs of stuff in the back of my Range Rover on more than one occasion... I don't think the EAS likes me for it, but it did the job!

• Like 1

Escape, Thanks for the reply. I posted the question only because I'd been scared off putting much weight above the fuel tank, which seems reasonable I suppose. I've since discovered that I was given advice by a person who uses only the heaviest-duty, triple-wall cardboard to reinforce the rear floor of his 300tdi. Genius! (number deleted!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's not wrong to have a thought about the state of the rear floor, as they can (will) get rusty. But there are plenty of reinforcements, so the rust needs to be really bad before there is a risk to the fuel tank. Most importantly, a gearbox isn't that heavy.  😉 Once you start putting in several 100kg, you do want to look at weight distribution (mainly for handling) and avoid concentrating the load on a small surface so as not to overload the (possibly rusted) floor. A pallet is great for spreading a load and to avoid pointy metal bits digging into the floor.

On 11/20/2022 at 5:02 PM, Mr. BG 200tdi said:

Escape, Thanks for the reply. I posted the question only because I'd been scared off putting much weight above the fuel tank, which seems reasonable I suppose. I've since discovered that I was given advice by a person who uses only the heaviest-duty, triple-wall cardboard to reinforce the rear floor of his 300tdi. Genius! (number deleted!)

I'd be more worried about the spring mounts. Actually I wouldn't , becuase my Disco had a new chassis in 2007... Generally the carpet in the rear of a disco 200tdi has the same load bearing ability of two sheets of 18mm ply stuck together with wood glue