COG for Defender 110 on 2-post lift?

twodoorgaz

Hi folks.

after a number of failed attempts, we’re finally completing on a new property with space for a big workshop.

We’re fitting a full height 2-post lift and the biggest thing we’ll be lifting is a Defender 110.

we’re designing the roofline and ridge height around the requirements of the lift, with the underside of the chassis rail set at 1900mm from the floor.

we’ve measured up and have modelled both the 110 and the lift but the X-Factor that the architect’s draftsman needs is the Centre of Gravity of the 110 in relation to the position of the lift uprights.

that might not be the right terminology. What I mean is: where in relation to the length of the 110 (both SW and truck cabs) will the columns of the lift be when everything is balanced up?

in his original CAD drawing he had the lift posts sitting in the exact centre of the 110’s length. But when I’ve seen pictures of them on lifts, I’ve noticed that the posts are commonly positioned close to the front bulkhead door pillar line (in other words the overhand at the back of the vehicle when lifted is much longer than the overhang at the front).

Hope that makes sense, if anyone could give a guide then we can update the building model and set the eave and ridge height.

Thank you.

Edited by twodoorgaz

From experience, the further you can get the arms apart, the more stable a vehicle is on the lift. For a 110, if you can grab it around the the trailing arm and radius arm mounts, it should be pretty stable.

CoG will depend heavily on the type of 110 and the kit fitted. I wouldn't design too exactly around it.

Probably depends a lot on what engine and many other variables. Up to 200tdi the engine is behind the front axle line, and with 80L of diesel in the tank it's probably not far off 50-50 weight distribution. A Td5 with an empty fuel tank however is probably quite front heavy. 

I agere with Muddy, you more or less sit in/on/just beside the COG line 🙂

The arms are VERY narrow when an 90 is i on the lift if you grab it as Elbekko says... but I always do it that way anyhow 🙂 it is relative stable, but mind you, some times you do lift it of one of the arms, trying to undo things... -nothing you cant work around if you remember the physics from schooltime...

I have a 4 poster and my mate has a 2. There are pros and cons on both, but for general servicing, tirechanges and rustwork the 2 post is easier to be around and it takes up a lot less space when not in use. 

Just my 2 øre 🙂

/mads

thanks very much everyone - that was just what I needed. We've redrawn the initial sketch with the centreline of the lift running through just to the rear of the middle of the front doors. There's still plenty of space around it for different loadings, etc but wanted a reasonably representative model for a 'normal' loading position.

Miketomcat - good shout. The lift is centralised in the workshop and the 110 can be loaded in forward or reverse.

Steve B - I went backward and forwards on this, but the flexibility of being able to lift bodies off chassis (not just land rovers) makes a 2-post a winner. plus it takes up less space. I've worked on both and prefer a 2-post for the sort of work I do.

18 minutes ago, twodoorgaz said:

Steve B - I went backward and forwards on this, but the flexibility of being able to lift bodies off chassis (not just land rovers) makes a 2-post a winner. plus it takes up less space. I've worked on both and prefer a 2-post for the sort of work I do.

Fair enough, I see your reasons. Would be lovely to have one of each to cover everything

Steve

The OneTen that sits here is 55 % rear axle - 45 % front axle : total about 2.690 kgs. with the 300 Tdi and fully loaded.

The Series is almost 50 - 50

We are looking into a lift and I deleted the 2 poster from my list as we have seen some serious incidents over the years at various places.

Totally understand the advantages of a 2 poster but I will not put a Series / Defender on one if I can avoid it.

Steve/Arjan. You've had me thinking over the weekend about the 2-post lift. I'm still leaning towards 2 post, but am considering all the options.

Its true, a 4 post won't suit my needs - but I'm starting to reconsider a scissor lift by way of a half way house. As its a new topic, I have started a new post and if you have any further insights I'd love to hear from you on the new thread which can be found here: 

Another thing to consider, is that you say the biggest thing you want to lift is a 110. But is it ? You say that now, but in the future you may become a LWB Sprinter van or Motorhome enthusiast.

My point is, dont make the space too custom if at all possible.