Suspect defender identity

Good evening,

I went to look at a Defender for sale today, eBay classified, and found the chassis number was not factory stamped, it was badly done, and the chassis batch number year did not tally with the supposed vehicle year. What’s the best way to report this to the authorities, namely police and DVLA so they can flag the logbook.

Edited by Dudley909
Added more info

17 minutes ago, Wytze said:

According to my mate , on defenders the chassis number is allso stamped in parts all over different parts of the chassis

I have also heard this, I believe it was later trucks to combat theft etc but I've never seen it or been able to verify it.

Mike

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

I have also heard this, I believe it was later trucks to combat theft etc but I've never seen it or been able to verify it.

Mike

For a little while back, he bought a early 110 V8, he didn't share much of it, but he say's there are various chassis number parts on gussets you can't reach to alter after welding up the chassis...   The rdw (dvla)  seems to use that to verify the id.  Could be bull crapp..  

I did read that later vehicles had dot-matrix style VIN markings in multiple locations, but I’m not sure if that was locations like axles and transmission or multiple chassis locations.  I understood it to be the latter.  But that may have been for other models and not Defender - I didn’t see more than one standard punched VIN on my 2009 Defender.

When I did the Defender factory tour I only witnessed them stamping the chassis at one point (the OSF chassis leg) as it had always been done, it was a fantastic machine but quite noisy and took longer than you might expect. As far as I could see there was no way it was going to fit anywhere else on the chassis and I didn't see them do it elsewhere, just move onto the next vehicle. 

There are serial numbers on the axles etc but I think they are entirely separate to the chassis number.

2 hours ago, Litch said:

When I did the Defender factory tour I only witnessed them stamping the chassis at one point (the OSF chassis leg) as it had always been done, it was a fantastic machine but quite noisy and took longer than you might expect. As far as I could see there was no way it was going to fit anywhere else on the chassis and I didn't see them do it elsewhere, just move onto the next vehicle. 

There are serial numbers on the axles etc but I think they are entirely separate to the chassis number.

As far as I know, the axle numbers were never logged either.