The Taxman and the Ineos Grenadier

jeremy996

Came here to day the same... That will be a nice feather in their cap! 

See if this works: 

If this e-mail is not displayed properly, click here.

md_17691.png

md_36626.jpg
Hi Ross,

Introducing Grenadier Commercial. With a flat floor and a full-height cargo barrier behind the front seats, you’ll have over 2,000 litres of loadspace, and be able to carry a standard Euro pallet.

Aimed at businesses that need a capable 4X4, it boasts the same great capability and specification as the original 2-seater Utility Wagon it replaces. But with specific changes that mean HMRC has confirmed you’ll be able to reclaim VAT.
md_36620.png
To be the first to find out when Grenadier Commercial orders open, follow the link below.

Ineos Automotive sent me (and presumably lots of other people), an e-mail this morning:-

"Introducing Grenadier Commercial. With a flat floor and a full-height cargo barrier behind the front seats, you’ll have over 2,000 litres of loadspace, and be able to carry a standard Euro pallet.

Aimed at businesses that need a capable 4X4, it boasts the same great capability and specification as the original 2-seater Utility Wagon it replaces. But with specific changes that mean HMRC has confirmed you’ll be able to reclaim VAT."

I guess they have finally been able to twist HMRC's arms the same way JLR did for the new Defender Commercials.

Just about to post a copy of the email but I see I have been beaten to it. A promising development, all they have to do now is sort the steering, loose the transmission tunnel bulge / pseudo footrest in the RHD models, increase the fuel tank capacity and poor ground clearance at the rear etc... oh and list some prices.

Well that was quick... 

Quick run down (if I can understand my own scribbles) was rear seats and belt mountings remvoed, fixed panels for rear windows (no window option), fixed panels in the rear side doors and windows now non operable, and then the flat floor through from front to back. The latter I assumed was always the case? All done by a 3rd party to Ineos and then certified for HMRC. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hope it sells a lot in the UK and consider yourselves very lucky.

Holland from 1/1/2025 has decided that no longer there will be a difference between "commercial" and "passenger" vehicles.

This means both in purchase and road tax everybody will pay the high rates.

On a proper van, this can easily be € 20.000 more to buy and € 1.000 annually in road tax.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Arjan said:

This means both in purchase and road tax everybody will pay the high rates.

It's a bit more nuanced than that over here, if you are VAT registered (so a business) you can claim the VAT back, if you are a private individual then you can't claim it, it just goes into the governments purse. This even applies to second hand vehicles sold by a garage, which always feels a bit odd that on a £1K vehicle you have to pay £200 to the government for the privilege, a VAT registered buyer can still claim it back though. However the annual duty/tax/road fund licence/vehicle excise duty is based on emissions (mostly), and not dependent on whether it is a van or a car.

Lorries are more again, of course, last time I heard which was about 10 years ago was of the order of £4K p.a., bound to have gone up by now.

They’ve confirmed you’re able to reclaim VAT, but you could do that already as long as it was 100% for business use. One assumes that it is now possible to claim it back on a vehicle purchased for mixed business/personal use.

The email doesn’t mention the benefit in kind situation though. I presume from this email, that it would now be okay (in terms of lower BiK rate) with the 2-seater commercial models. 

I thought you couldn’t claim VAT back unless it was on their list ?  If that’s not the case what is the point of the list ? 

It is all rather confusing ! 

9 hours ago, Anderzander said:

I thought you couldn’t claim VAT back unless it was on their list ?  If that’s not the case what is the point of the list ? 

The list people refer to is to do with benefit in kind status.

As above the VAT can be claimed back on any piece of equipment, vehicles included, which is for the use of the business. We have loads of cars in the fleet at work, all 100% business use and not used for any personal journeys by staff.  

On 5/3/2024 at 9:21 AM, Anderzander said:

The list is so out of date it is a bit of a joke. HMRC have been described in parliamentary committee as "not fit for purpose" and I struggle to disagree!

• Haha 1