Gazzer's "101-what have I done" Fairlead Build

Stellaghost

A wee bit more on this if only to tease @Gazzar....lol

Inner face's cleaned up with die grinder

20231220_151227.thumb.jpg.4a191685f51bd5e92f23a6389f7a2a7f.jpg

Started cutting in top webbing

20231220_150608.thumb.jpg.3c7abcf26e0b607b1816a78224250c72.jpg

Shape is about right but still needs to go slightly deeper and then a clean up with die grinder/ dremel, but you get the idea

20231220_151154.thumb.jpg.532fe1e2d34dd1f50033c4407bcc5ca2.jpg

Have also started making a pulley blank to make sure it all fits

20231220_151710.thumb.jpg.cf1f994fe17000a569626106f6914d36.jpg

That's it for now, nightshift  calls

Regards Stephen 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's going to be so much stronger than the cast original.

4 more days before the stitches come out and I can start doing some light work. I've a target of getting the overdrive done before next year.....

On 12/24/2023 at 12:32 PM, Stellaghost said:

Some more done today, still needs a wee bit finishing off but that's one side nearly done

20231224_120652.thumb.jpg.f35a10626f905fa02c6dba9385ac1dc2.jpg

also just to give myself an idea what it will look like

20231224_122706.thumb.jpg.e37dd3070f3296f6144eeec7e2782d09.jpg

holes are still to drill to 16mm, but you get the idea

Regards Stephen 

Merry Christmas!

On 12/20/2023 at 6:12 PM, Gazzar said:

Oh. My. Word!

This is great! Once my wrist is fixed, I had better get spannering. 

(Carpel tunnel decompression surgery last week)

I had my right hand done late October and I'm struggling with it, to be honest.

I still can't put much weight on the palm of my hand, like pushing up off a chair, and wrist mobility is still slightly limited at the extremes, but on the plus side, all the tingles and electric shocks are gone now. I guess I'm being impatient, but I really want to find out if I can get back on my Guzzi now the second paw is fixed....

Sorry to hear that. Is it the wound?

Mines doing very well, still nervous about putting much pressure on it, torquing stuff, but so far so good. I cup the wound by wrapping my hand in duck tape but that's it.

On 1/1/2024 at 11:12 AM, Gazzar said:

Sorry to hear that. Is it the wound?

Yes, it is weird, because the pain is deep inside of my hand directly under the cut, so I'm putting it down to the after effects of the actual surgery.

I'm going to see the Doc when he returns post holiday season for a follow-up and will ask him then. He did say that it was one of the worst cases he'd seen with the nerve very badly compressed, so I guess he had a bit more chopping and dicing to do than expected. My other hand was not as sore a few years ago when it was done.

I've read that it can take a year to recover in bad cases.

Mine is nearly there, the wound is sealed, and, while it hurts at the carpel ligament when I hold stuff tightly, I'm able to use my left hand for most work.

I saw my physio yesterday and the carpel tunnel came up in conversation. 

He's told me to massage the scar twice a day to ease the scarring, and promote healing/ reduce pain etc.

@JohnnoK you told to do that? I wasn't.

• Like 1

It’s a completely different injury, but I had nerve damage and subsequent surgical tissue scarring from when a spinal disc collapsed, the disc material squeezing out the back between the round sections of the vertebrae into the void for the spinal chord, compressing that, and the two vertebrae closing together and pinching the sciatic nerve hard on the right side.  The combination lead to paralysis of my lower right leg (as well as the pain in the spine and leg).  The surgery removed the pressure, but the nerves took a while to heal.  The bulk of it was recovered after about three months, though I do have what looks like a big dent in the shin muscles because the nerves to that part of the muscle died and that section of muscle atrophied.  The rest takes up the slack and so I have full movement and strength of the leg and foot, just operating slightly differently than before.  So, if you do have any persistent or permanent nerve damage, there is still a good chance that you will have full hand operation once it all settles down.

It is important to do all exercises that are laid out for you - the post surgical physio made a big difference for me, though the pre-surgical physio (before the complete collapse of the disc) did nothing.  I did have returning symptoms of stiffness and sciatic pain over the last year or so, but following a very long walk around the hills on holiday, I did some stretches on the rail platform that resulted in my back making a crack so loud it turned quite a few heads.  Since then, the back has been almost asymptomatic.  So, it is going to be important to keep using the hand and to keep doing any exercises that involve wide movements and stretching, not just for the ligaments and tendons but for the nerves themselves (they also shrink if movement is not stretched for some time).

• Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 12:06 AM, Gazzar said:

@JohnnoK you told to do that? I wasn't.

I was told by the doc that did my left hand a few years ago, so it is part of my routine.

I'm a fiddler anyway, so I'm always picking and scratching at scars etc which is a variation on massaging. When I fell off my motorcycle I was almost obsessive with picking and working at the scars/scabs and I have almost zero scarring as a result of that.

23 hours ago, Snagger said:

It’s a completely different injury, but I had nerve damage and subsequent surgical tissue scarring from when a spinal disc collapsed, the disc material squeezing out the back between the round sections of the vertebrae into the void for the spinal chord, compressing that, and the two vertebrae closing together and pinching the sciatic nerve hard on the right side.  The combination lead to paralysis of my lower right leg (as well as the pain in the spine and leg).  The surgery removed the pressure, but the nerves took a while to heal.  The bulk of it was recovered after about three months, though I do have what looks like a big dent in the shin muscles because the nerves to that part of the muscle died and that section of muscle atrophied.  The rest takes up the slack and so I have full movement and strength of the leg and foot, just operating slightly differently than before.  So, if you do have any persistent or permanent nerve damage, there is still a good chance that you will have full hand operation once it all settles down.

It is important to do all exercises that are laid out for you - the post surgical physio made a big difference for me, though the pre-surgical physio (before the complete collapse of the disc) did nothing.  I did have returning symptoms of stiffness and sciatic pain over the last year or so, but following a very long walk around the hills on holiday, I did some stretches on the rail platform that resulted in my back making a crack so loud it turned quite a few heads.  Since then, the back has been almost asymptomatic.  So, it is going to be important to keep using the hand and to keep doing any exercises that involve wide movements and stretching, not just for the ligaments and tendons but for the nerves themselves (they also shrink if movement is not stretched for some time).

My journey with carpal tunnel ultimately led to the discovery of 2 collapsing discs in my neck and a C5/6 C6/7 fusion as well as the left carpal and now the subsequent right carpal surgery. The surgeon said he hadn't seen such bad compression of the nerve for a long time and that he had to spend more time clearing it than he'd expected, so I guess it all adds up to the discomfort and longer healing than my left paw had.

You've convinced me to get my left hand done. I was humming and hawing, but best get it done whilst fixable!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gazzar said:

You've convinced me to get my left hand done. I was humming and hawing, but best get it done whilst fixable!

That is always the case - early treatment is always smaller, less risky and has better outcomes than leaving it late, plus it minimises the duration of the issues of the injury.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

That is always the case - early treatment is always smaller, less risky and has better outcomes than leaving it late, plus it minimises the duration of the issues of the injury.

My Nanna is a prime example of what not to do…. Leave joint issues and put it off so long it caused other problems and now she can barely walk.

So  I'm more or less just cleaning this up now  whilst doing that I was thinking about how to achieve a sand cast look...

This is what I came up with, first picture is just dressed  up a bit with die grinder and a rotary burr the second is after a wee bit play with a needle gun

Thoughts would be appreciated 

Regards Stephen 

20240112_181359.thumb.jpg.6daca5d14ef86a93280282d8a903d0d5.jpg

20240112_181409.thumb.jpg.b27cd5770b64f7a2d2746280eb60df41.jpg

• Like 4