Inspection lamps

My commercial inspection lamp is years old and getting a bit past it. It's a 240v mains but with a 12v transformer built into the plug, the lamp itself takes heavy duty bulbs that seem to last forever. That said the transformer occasionally buzzes  and despite various repairs in the past the ball and socket joint in the clamp is loose again so the lamp itself doesn't stay in position for very long which was a chore when working on the MB transfer box last week. 

I quite fancy updating to a cordless rechargeable LED job so would be interested in what others are using. 

IMG_20230428_105646_HDR2.thumb.jpg.fac07148605e950a8bde491ebb2ae0c8.jpg

Edited by Happyoldgit
Photo added

https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/5637735032/360-7w-cob-led-rechargeable-pocket-floodlight-with-magnet---green

One of these is my current favourite. I paid £35 ish from Amazon for mine. I much prefer it over the handheld torch type as it rotates through 360 degrees meaning you can almost always get it in a good position without it being in the way. Only issue I have had is that I lost one, presumably still travelling about on the bottom of someone's car somewhere!

• Like 1

Best worklight(s) I have are the cheapest possible desk lamps (£3 Asda / Tesco / Ikea) with a decently bright LED bulb thrown in.

That and an LED fluorescent tube replacement - wire live & neutral to one end, cap it & heat-shrink it all and you've got a super bright 5' long plastic tube.

For hand-held I use NEBO Lil' Larry and Big Larry LED torches, they are well made, often found for fairly cheap and very bright. Oh and the magnet on the end is very useful.

• Like 1

I've got one of these at home, along with several at work. https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/inspection-lamps/1864628

They're brilliant. Torch in the end or the flood on the side. Mag base sticks well (other than at work where most stuff is stainless :lol:) and it's got a laser pointer too. My versions just use a micro USB to charge rather than having a base. 

On a more budget side of the scale, I have a parkside rechargeable one. It has a magnetic base with flexible ball joint and the long led is also hinged so you can target the light. It was invaluable when I was fitting my rear crossmember. I can't say how it will compare with the more expensive brands but not quite the same if you loose or drive over the thing! It's also dimmable. Mine is diy use so does not have to be suitable for use everyday, but I think it wad about £8 last year. Unfortunately only available when on their special buys so its get one when in stock.

Edited by Mossberg

Since the rebuild of the Workshop I've been using these. Sorry, no English version but I'm sure the same type will be available from similar suppliers in the UK.

They're cheap and do the job, I've bought 3 in the last 5 years, 2 are still in use, the 3rd one is for spares. The plastic cracks after dropping for the umpteenth time and I've had to resolder the battery connection as a result, but at that price can't fault them and don't need to be careful. One traveled home with a customer after being put upside down on the chassis of his Disco, so the magnet is strong enough. He noticed a light underneath when parking up and to his surprise found my lamp. 🙂 

We have the same at home for general duty as well. If I buy a new one, it will replace the one at home and that one will live on at the Shop. Circular economics.

5 minutes ago, elbekko said:

Yeah, no use spending a lot of money on something that'll equally die when falling constantly. Because the universal truth to a light is that it's always exactly where you also need to be.

Mine above have suffered a few ~5m drops.... and the workshop one has had a flying lesson in frustration - Magnet stuck it to the door quite nicely! :lol: 

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2023 at 3:04 PM, L19MUD said:

https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/5637735032/360-7w-cob-led-rechargeable-pocket-floodlight-with-magnet---green

One of these is my current favourite. I paid £35 ish from Amazon for mine. I much prefer it over the handheld torch type as it rotates through 360 degrees meaning you can almost always get it in a good position without it being in the way. Only issue I have had is that I lost one, presumably still travelling about on the bottom of someone's car somewhere!

To revisit this. I ended up buying one of these and have been using it more than I thought I would. It's a versatile little unit that throws a decent area light and the magnet sticks well too.

LED700P_DFC0335249.png.2618de6e3cb76c96bc5ca14dd1d07907.png

• Like 3