Sad day CSK

Simon_CSK

10 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Have you looked at how bad it is underneath? 

Just wondering if it could be cleaned up enough to use, and then do it as a rolling resto? Spreads the cost over time.

Needs a new shell at the very least, Cills, inner wings, slam panel, a pillars and inner wings are dist. Chassis is still good. 

3 hours ago, Simon_CSK said:

It has been hurting me for a number of years and feel very guilty letting it get that far.

It will sound cheesy but moving it on to someone who can spare the time/cash/energy is the next best thing to doing it yourself. Much worse to let it rot further.

No point feeling guilty about something you can't change.

Anyone else want uninvited opinion while I'm at it?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Simon_CSK said:

Daan

I feel that mine if properly restored should be of higher value to that one because mine has unique paperwork with the car, and the original private registration.

Not meaning to be negative, but just to add a dose of reality  - as far as I’m aware, no CSK’s have sold for £150,000 - I don’t recall even seeing one sell for over £100,000, so the price they are asking seems to be unrealistic. Graeme Hunt is always top end of the market in asking prices and even they balk at advertising very good condition CSK’s at over £100K. They currently have one for sale, asking for ~£97K. Obviously with companies like them and Kingsley you never get to publicly know what they actually sell for.

I suspect if you auctioned a fully restored CSK today, you’d be looking at getting around the £80,000 mark rather than £100K+. It’s hard to tell as ones like the one linked above have failed to sell when they’ve come up on auction sites. So even this may be too high. 

As advised before by several people, to get maximum offer/bid it would pay to pull it out and at least wash it, confirm that every part is there (or list if anything is missing) describe or show condition of interior and fully describe and show condition of chassis. 

Again, not trying to be negative just offering a point of view.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

SteveG is spot on, every time I've sold a vehicle the #1 thing is as many good clear pictures as possible so people can see exactly what they're buying - even the bad bits, because it shows them exactly how much work they're in for and that you're not hiding stuff.

It's risk. Remove as many unknowns as possible for a buyer by letting them see what they're getting, and they will feel they are putting their money at less risk.

• Like 3

At then end of the day if I get what I want for it then I am happy, if I don't then I keep it longer until I can restore it myself then I'm happy. To some extent this is a fishing exercise to see if it will sell.

The cars listed for sale I have no doubt are in good restored condition and Kingsley are very good at upgrading their cars so what is a concours car with full documented history worth? Even concourse cars very rarely have all the logbooks with the car. Maybe I am overvaluing it and maybe that will disappoint me to some extent but then again I will get an indication of the value others place on it.

I was told off on Facebook for letting it get in this condition and not letting others enjoy it before it did. My response to that was Whatever. It is my car and ultimately my decision what I want to do with it going forward.

The advice about washing and listing faults are both very valid and correct. 

21 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

It's a bit niche, the right person will value it and pay good money but to everyone else it's a hell of a project.

I'd be sorely tempted myself if I didn't already have a crusty 2-door awaiting restoration :lol:

There is a 1992 LHD 2 door from Spain Just come up on Ebay. If I had the free cash at the moment I would but it for the shell and be ready to go with my CSK.

7 hours ago, Simon_CSK said:

At then end of the day if I get what I want for it then I am happy, if I don't then I keep it longer until I can restore it myself then I'm happy. To some extent this is a fishing exercise to see if it will sell.

The cars listed for sale I have no doubt are in good restored condition and Kingsley are very good at upgrading their cars so what is a concours car with full documented history worth? Even concourse cars very rarely have all the logbooks with the car. Maybe I am overvaluing it and maybe that will disappoint me to some extent but then again I will get an indication of the value others place on it.

I was told off on Facebook for letting it get in this condition and not letting others enjoy it before it did. My response to that was Whatever. It is my car and ultimately my decision what I want to do with it going forward.

The advice about washing and listing faults are both very valid and correct. 

This appears to be a TwentyTen Engineering restoration.  Having visited them, I think their work is very good.  Whether any RRC is worth that kind of money is debatable.

On 6/13/2023 at 5:44 PM, Simon_CSK said:

There is a 1992 LHD 2 door from Spain Just come up on Ebay. If I had the free cash at the moment I would but it for the shell and be ready to go with my CSK.

I haven’t bought off him, so not a personal recommendation, but this guy is constantly posting in range rover classic Facebook groups with RR’s and parts that he brings back from his place in Spain. A few months ago he had at least two rust free 2 door body shells already in UK…

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100024917016942

IMG_2348.thumb.jpeg.7832ffd565d629e41cb3f7bb5c8e26a6.jpeg

• Like 2

There is a bit of a myth about Spanish and Portuguese Range Rovers being rust-free because the roads aren’t salted in winter.  Unfortunately, many of these vehicles are driven on beaches or used to launch boats, so while some of them are in very good order, some of them are shocking.  Just like buying from anywhere else, you need to check the specific vehicle and not make any assumptions.  That Facebook link should be a good source though, given that it is unlikely he’d bother bringing back bad shells after dismantling them enough that the rot spots are so easy to inspect.

• Like 3

£16k for a rotten Range Rover with only 4 pictures of the vehicle sitting in a scrap yard I thought was quite strong money despite the provenance. Did anyone come and view it before they bid to see the condition?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One guy came to see it. He knew the reserve and I did state that I wouldn't part with it for less. So while strong money I know how much now it is worth to someone but not enough for me to be parted from it. It isn't as bad as I thought it was. When he came to see it I got a chance to look at things more closely that I did when I put it on Ebay. Things for me have dramatically improved on the finance front which was one, if not the major reason for putting it on Ebay. 

At the end of the day try and find another one? As soon as I have the money from the property I have invested in I will be able to resolve the CSK issue. And will enjoy the time doing so. 

• Like 2

On 6/22/2023 at 5:20 PM, L19MUD said:

vehicle sitting in a scrap yard 

My brother would be most upset by that comment, It his his place of work and while there are vehicles that look like scrap he stores vehicles and transports them. Doesn't scrap them. Well not many that is.

5 minutes ago, Simon_CSK said:

My brother would be most upset by that comment, It his his place of work and while there are vehicles that look like scrap he stores vehicles and transports them. Doesn't scrap them. Well not many that is.

Not meant to be offensive but the pictures only show damaged/partially stripped vehicles which is exactly what my local breakers/scrap dealer looks like. Just does not give the right image considering what the car is

Only my 2p. Others may disagree

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

Not meant to be offensive but the pictures only show damaged/partially stripped vehicles which is exactly what my local breakers/scrap dealer looks like. Just does not give the right image considering what the car is

Only my 2p. Others may disagree

No offence taken. I agree about the vehicle and the background however my own place isn't much better and have 9 cars outside that need to be sent to be weighed in. Maybe get round to is before the winter sets in and I cannot get into the field.

• 7 months later...