P38 winch bumper build

elbekko

10 minutes ago, Wytze said:

It read's like it's the liner of the torch.

These liner things. Are they universal, you think? I'd love to replace it, if it's not half the price of a new torch.

5 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

BFH TIME.

Maybe. Or some disassembly and see what's actually bent, and try to straighten it.

49 minutes ago, elbekko said:

These liner things. Are they universal, you think? I'd love to replace it, if it's not half the price of a new torch.

Had a quick look on google,  between 6 and 12 euro, so prettie cheap😁

3 minutes ago, Wytze said:

Had a quick look on google,  between 6 and 12 euro, so prettie cheap😁

Yeah, that's alright. There seems to be a few different types though? I'll pop the one that's in there out, and see if they have anything at Metaleuven.

5 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Apologies, I'm getting people's forum names muddled up, must be my age :blush:

That's alright, no offense taken. Equally deranged, but in different ways :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@elbekko just be sure it's the liner not the feed motor. Not sure how you'd check - the torch is normally just a switch so perhaps you can remove it to eliminate all resistance and then short out the appropriate contacts to get the feed motor turning.

See whether it still stutters or if its the resistance of the liner doing it.

With regards to gas I normally start at the lower end of 10-15cfm and see if it's making nice welds. If you back off the gas it's obvious when it's too low so maybe get some scrap, turn down the gas and run some tests. Then increase it slowly until you're happy with it. At least eliminate that as its easy enough to do so before spending money and time replacing bits.

4 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

@elbekko just be sure it's the liner not the feed motor. Not sure how you'd check - the torch is normally just a switch so perhaps you can remove it to eliminate all resistance and then short out the appropriate contacts to get the feed motor turning.

See whether it still stutters or if its the resistance of the liner doing it.

With regards to gas I normally start at the lower end of 10-15cfm and see if it's making nice welds. If you back off the gas it's obvious when it's too low so maybe get some scrap, turn down the gas and run some tests. Then increase it slowly until you're happy with it. At least eliminate that as its easy enough to do so before spending money and time replacing bits.

I just replaced the feed motor, and it does fine in some torch positions, so I don't think it's that. And it's had wire feed issues since I got it (which is why my friend wanted to get rid of it).

1 minute ago, landroversforever said:

Looking good Ben! Only thing I'd possibly want to do, is more weld on the eyes if you can? the amount welded might be deceptive though.

I'd love to. But right now I'm just making things worse with how the welder is acting. There's a good 5cm of heavy weld on each side of the bars to the side plates, plus heavy welds all around where they stick through the front plate.
Looks are deceptive indeed, they're sticking ~16cm into the bumper, so a large portion of them isn't welded. Also not sure how well I can reach in there to weld them further...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, elbekko said:

I'd love to. But right now I'm just making things worse with how the welder is acting. There's a good 5cm of heavy weld on each side of the bars to the side plates, plus heavy welds all around where they stick through the front plate.
Looks are deceptive indeed, they're sticking ~16cm into the bumper, so a large portion of them isn't welded. Also not sure how well I can reach in there to weld them further...

Ahh! Well it certainly looks nothing like 16cm in that picture :lol: should be good for now at least :) 

17 minutes ago, elbekko said:

Today was mostly bodywork... winching to a column, pulling up with the transmission jack, hammering, and a shim under the body mount...

Fits much better now.

Cut out the top plate, and test fit the winch. And threw it on the car again to have a final look.

20230620_213652.thumb.jpg.b3d6c9d6a2f0b8d8e93aa8d759480863.jpg

20230620_213655.thumb.jpg.b9eeaefe0444ca917d2f54c99223a21e.jpg

20230620_222549.thumb.jpg.84bdd3bf36a8cd287a794456c5ac41a8.jpg

Pretty happy with the result. Should do some more grinding of the welds on the bottom plate. And cut out the wings so the big tyres don't eat into them.

Then probably throw some paint on... and wire in the winch. The end is nigh!

Look's very nice!

• Thanks 1

Cut some more metal out.

Replaced the liner in the welder (badly).

Ground down more welds (badly).

Painted it (badly).

Tried to drill the mounting holes oversize for some more adjustment, failed, drill dulled, and I suddenly couldn't manage to sharpen it anymore, even though I managed fine last weekend.

20230621_203246.thumb.jpg.5dc02a7162856a1d646224a5c9861fd9.jpg

I wonder how terrible this paint will be. It dried quickly, at least.

20230621_204421.thumb.jpg.1d076093391111c53145ccae9d3f3774.jpg

• Like 4

So, that paint is useless. It scratches off by looking at it. Whatever, it's not the colour I wanted anyway.

Finished it up today. Drilled out the mounting holes to 16mm to have some alignment leeway. The S355 at a brand new drill bit :( But much cursing and an hour and a half later, I managed to drill 4 holes. Wired up thanks to @Escape. It worked well to spool up, at least.

Modified the freespool lever to clock it 90°. If you redrill the stop bolt, it'll go side to side instead of up and down. Managed to get the hole just barely straight enough to work.

Fitted the skidplate, as well. Took a bit of modifying to fit it around the tow hook on the chassis. And it doesn't fit very well because everything is crooked :angry2: It's on with a few bolts and a few self-tappers, it'll do. Looks nice, though, even if it was a right pain to fit.

And clamped the front plate with the fairlead, works ok. Would be better if the top screws were countersunk as well. Or move it to the side. Maybe some day. We'll see.

Only took pictures once I got her loaded up on the trailer:

20230622_201606.jpg

20230622_201612.jpg

20230622_201614.jpg

20230622_201618.jpg

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, elbekko said:

So, that paint is useless. It scratches off by looking at it. Whatever, it's not the colour I wanted anyway.

Finished it up today. Drilled out the mounting holes to 16mm to have some alignment leeway. The S355 at a brand new drill bit :( But much cursing and an hour and a half later, I managed to drill 4 holes. Wired up thanks to @Escape. It worked well to spool up, at least.

Modified the freespool lever to clock it 90°. If you redrill the stop bolt, it'll go side to side instead of up and down. Managed to get the hole just barely straight enough to work.

Fitted the skidplate, as well. Took a bit of modifying to fit it around the tow hook on the chassis. And it doesn't fit very well because everything is crooked :angry2: It's on with a few bolts and a few self-tappers, it'll do. Looks nice, though, even if it was a right pain to fit.

And clamped the front plate with the fairlead, works ok. Would be better if the top screws were countersunk as well. Or move it to the side. Maybe some day. We'll see.

Only took pictures once I got her loaded up on the trailer:

20230622_201606.jpg

20230622_201612.jpg

20230622_201614.jpg

20230622_201618.jpg

Nice sturdy bumper... Have fun over there.  

• Thanks 1

It works really well, quite happy with everything. The winch had a good workout pulling a dead Sid out of the swamp, with the only drama being popping my tyre off the bead...

Didn't need to recover myself at any point, started to once, then realised I only got stuck because viscous couplings only work with viscous fluid, and drove out with the handbrake pulled (front had traction, rears were in the air).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2023 at 12:42 AM, elbekko said:

Almost done now!

Started off with fitting the other front plate. A bit of pondering later, and I decided to tack in some small pieces of plate to act as stops for the bend.

20230618_151752.thumb.jpg.a3868ff9b29123e3939872c9eb43ad76.jpg

A bit of help from the jack, as master Yoda I am not:

20230618_155826.thumb.jpg.c03d7246d06b3f612ae9a7d2dbc01dd3.jpg

And that worked beautifully. Half an hour of prep, five minutes of fitting. Had to adjust the tabs a bit, as measuring twice is obviously no use when you fail to read a ruler. Nothing the welder and grinder couldn't solve.

20230618_160557.thumb.jpg.1c7fd85b542cfa90d09f7f3557a9a0a7.jpg

The word of the day is "clamps". I brought some more from home today, and was still constantly looking for more clamps.

All tacked up and ready for welding.

20230618_162015.thumb.jpg.7243dcaea861a5c7178d6f4a68000397.jpg

Welded the outside of the seams, and threw some heavy stitch welds on from the inside as well.

This is where the welder started to act up again. It just didn't want to get a good weld going there, just sputtering and generally being stupid. I thought maybe impurities had been blown into the back, and was contaminating this weld. Cleaning seemed to not help much. But I managed with perseverance.

And then on to fitting the tow hooks. Bit of lay-out work, drilling out to 15.5mm (biggest drill I could find in the workshop). Then some filing to make it fit, along with some mild persuasion of Mr. Hammer.

20230618_182944.thumb.jpg.8a2e949f6312be795dad40d6c9d3ef7a.jpg

Both fitted and welded in.

20230618_192658.thumb.jpg.c25745de544a9b0f891885e33c43161e.jpg

And then welded from the back as well.

20230618_201446.thumb.jpg.7ecaf481878a93724b2c9e257ebeb5d4.jpg

Nicely in line with one of the chassis bolts. That's not going anywhere :)

Of course the welder wasn't loving life here either, and the other side just refused get a proper weld started again.

I'm wondering now if maybe I have the gas set too high and it's blowing out my puddle in enclosed spaces? On the other hand, I can hear the tone of the wire feed motor change when the torch isn't in the sweet zone, so the torch probably is dead. Seems like it gets worse as it heats up. So probably the liner? Or the whole torch, but it'll need a conversion to euro torch... gets expensive quickly :( Somehow the adapter seems to cost almost as much as a torch...

Started grinding the welds. Thick disc leaves a very uneven surface, but the flap discs die fairly quickly :(

20230618_205254.thumb.jpg.6cfd5cc2a72e8e676389f0a64aedb773.jpg

To finish off, I tried fitting it on the car. I wanted some motivation.

That failed :( The twist in the body from previous accident danage is too much, and is stopping the bumper from seating properly.

Rest day tomorrow, more on tuesday...

Can you not strip it back far enough to get a length of scaffold pipe with a suitable bracket made up for the front of the chassis rail to persuade it to regain its initial form?

In other words, bend it straight...😁

7 hours ago, elbekko said:

I tried. Everything is very twisted, I think it'd need a proper chassis rack to get it straight.

I managed to get it mostly ok by slotting the holes in the bumper.

Know anyone with any decent lumps of structural steel? Mate has straightened a few things chaining or welding it along one end and then jacking/pulling from the other. 

32 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Know anyone with any decent lumps of structural steel? Mate has straightened a few things chaining or welding it along one end and then jacking/pulling from the other. 

Like these?

IMG_20220831_175505_997.thumb.jpg.77ba7b0d5eb99f1630ddc9fb045d83bc.jpg