200/300tdi converted series landy's ?

Cornish Rattler

38 minutes ago, Snagger said:

It’s best to keep the standard 88deg type as it’ll be better for fuel efficiency as well as heater effectiveness, but it seems it’d be worth trying a few different brands.  Sadly, even the better brands seem a bit hit-and-miss with thermostats, so patience is required.  You can save a bit of effort by testing new stats with a cup of boiling water and a thermometer before fitting them.

👍🙂

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

It’s best to keep the standard 88deg type as it’ll be better for fuel efficiency as well as heater effectiveness, but it seems it’d be worth trying a few different brands.  Sadly, even the better brands seem a bit hit-and-miss with thermostats, so patience is required.  You can save a bit of effort by testing new stats with a cup of boiling water and a thermometer before fitting them.

Old colleague took something like 7 stats to get one which actually worked….that was a waxstat branded one from allmakes. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Ok i mite order a few different make ones and see how i get on 

don't bother ordering a  Britpart and All-makes one  , they are exactly the same !

13 hours ago, Shep The Disco said:

It's all very well testing thermostats in a pan with a thermometer but the s2a heater is small and if you want it to create any sort of heat from a TDI engine then it will need to be replaced with a bigger unit.

Good luck...😂

Will you knock it off?  You could fit a heater that takes up the entire rear tub and it’ll still be cold if the coolant has no heat in it.  If the air coming from the heater, whatever its type, is cold, then the heater matrix is not getting hot fluid.  If it works at low road speed but not at high speed, then it is the coolant temperature,  not the amount of fluid flow (ie blocked heater matrix or pipes) that is the cause.  If you really are a mechanic, then you should comprehend that.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Shep The Disco said:

It's all very well testing thermostats in a pan with a thermometer but the s2a heater is small and if you want it to create any sort of heat from a TDI engine then it will need to be replaced with a bigger unit.

Good luck...😂

My last 2a i converted to a tdi had the round smiths heater and it was always toastie using the 88° tdi thermostate same rad setup 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Can confirm from experience that the round 2A heater works surprisingly well if there's an LS6 in front of it, Jez reckoned it even created a warm current while underwater :lol:

:hysterical: 

Steve

Just remind me, what rad, header tank and pipe layout do you have ? Also which Tdi is it ? 

A couple of my Tdi Defender customers run with a partially covered grille all year round and fully covered in the winter.

Steve

7 minutes ago, steve b said:

Just remind me, what rad, header tank and pipe layout do you have ? Also which Tdi is it ? 

A couple of my Tdi Defender customers run with a partially covered grille all year round and fully covered in the winter.

Steve

Defender 200tdi engine ( dressed as a Disco 200tdi engine ) 200tdi rad and Defender 200tdi header tank 

22 minutes ago, steve b said:

Steve

Thats interesting, i did consider partially covering the grill but decided against it 

8 minutes ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Thats interesting, i did consider partially covering the grill but decided against it 

It shouldn't need that.... My 90 heater pumped out properly hot air even with -7/-8C outside - until I filled it up with water,sand and mud :P 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cornish Rattler said:

I've heard more than a few folks on here who run 200TDi's with no fan fitted all year round.

A draughty cab will not affect the heater output temperature only the air temperature inside.

Is the cooling system plumbed in as per the original design? I’m not sure how it works with the TDi conversion🤷‍♂️

If so then as others have said the issue lies with one of the cooling system components. As far as I can remember these engines have no heating issues when fitted to their original vehicle so in my mind the issue lies with either the conversion setup or a component not working correctly.

It will be interesting to see what you find. 

On 1/4/2024 at 7:27 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

I've heard more than a few folks on here who run 200TDi's with no fan fitted all year round.

A fan is rarely needed, but it is folly to run without one at all except, perhaps, in Arctic conditions.  A long hill climb on a hot day, especially with any significant load, or a drive through mud or sand could cook an engine fairly swiftly if there is no fan to help.  Even sitting in very slow traffic on a hot day can raise temperatures well above where they should be without a fan.

4 hours ago, Bigj66 said:

A draughty cab will not affect the heater output temperature only the air temperature inside.

Is the cooling system plumbed in as per the original design? I’m not sure how it works with the TDi conversion🤷‍♂️

If so then as others have said the issue lies with one of the cooling system components. As far as I can remember these engines have no heating issues when fitted to their original vehicle so in my mind the issue lies with either the conversion setup or a component not working correctly.

It will be interesting to see what you find. 

They plumb in exactly as per SII and SiII engines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

A fan is rarely needed, but it is folly to run without one at all except, perhaps, in Arctic conditions.  A long hill climb on a hot day, especially with any significant load, or a drive through mud or sand could cook an engine fairly swiftly if there is no fan to help.  Even sitting in very slow traffic on a hot day can raise temperatures well above where they should be without a fan.

Even then, my 200 only got hot when the rad was completely full of Welsh mud and even then, only when on the motorway. 

• 2 months later...