Remove fan?

Thank you all again for the help id'ing this engine as a 300TDI. It was suggested to me that it might make sense to remove the fan on the engine (circled in red), as the truck has an electric fan installed. It doesn't seem like the fan on the engine really does anything - except perhaps be poised to cut through a coolant line that the prior owner secured away from the fan with a zip-tie... I wanted to get the groups' opinion if removing the fan on the engine would make sense. Thank you!

image.jpeg.5155318a1c1cc29fc788df4823588d18.jpeg

The "nut" is on the back of the fan. There is a special spanner for it as it's quite awkward to get to, but I think I managed mine with a slim spanner (but it's been a while so not 100%). It's worth Googling 300tdi fan spanner to see its thickness and shape. 

I think you need to give the spanner a knock to release it, but make sure you are undoing it in the right direction. 

I haven't got a great deal of experience with this but hopefully someone will be along soon with more help.

I find it odd that it's still fitted due to electric fan being there. I would keep it to one side just incase the electric fan gives up, but you will need a cowl for it to be efficient. 

Good luck with the task. 

Remove it. My 200 Tdi was a lot quieter and used less (only 0.2l) Diesel. The Visco was stuck.

But dont´t forget to put an electric fan on the Intercooler as well ! This is often forgotten and was on your setup too, as it seems. If you place a big blowing fan in front of the intercooler it covers a third of the rad as well and can run permanentely.

Edited by Sigi_H

You could probably make a spanner if you have some 3mm plate, it just needs 2 tightish fitting jaws and a handle long enough to hit with a hammer. They normally unscrew easily after a good smite. 

Edited by fmmv

2 minutes ago, fmmv said:

You could probably make a spanner if you have some 3mm plate, it just needs 2 tightish fitting jaws and a handle long enough to hit with a hammer. They normally unscrew easily after a good smite. 

Thats why I removed it permanentely 😄

I have dim memory of someone posting that you could use a shorter belt, and bypass the fan pulley thus removing the bearing wear on the timing cover, but I can't find it just now.

Edited by fmmv
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, fmmv said:

I have dim memory of someone posting that you could use a shorter belt, and bypass the fan pulley thus removing the bearing wear on yhe timing cover, but I can't find it just now.

On the 200 the fan runs off the water pump, so it needed to stay, is it different on these?

google says yes !  Is that why people say their heads are prone to being cooked? With the water pump so high I’d guess you wouldn’t need the level to drop much for it to be a problem? 

image.jpeg.2dadf89adb07a139ac94440e4176bfae.jpeg

looks like the belt would run very close to the PAS pump if you didn’t use the fan and tensioner though.

• Like 2

Its worth looking at because the timing cover bearing is difficult to source and difficult to replace, or you have to replace the whole cover. Yes 300 tdi are very vulnerable to low coolant, probably its biggest Achilles heel. 

• Thanks 1

For the record,  the fan bearing on the timing cover is I think is Koyo 885802 RS  ( I have made a note of it from somewhere else) and can be replaced by a John Deere waterpump bearing  part number JD9257 superseded by JD9448 ( both of which needs a bit of the shaft cut off). I also have a note of SKF 374056B  against this bearing.

• Thanks 2

My preference if you can get the bits would be to refit the shroud and get the original fan running and remove the electric fan.  Failing that, if the electric fan works ok, then remove the original one.  Two is overkill, but the engine driven fan does nothing without the shroud.

• Like 4

The fan is now removed. Luckily I had a slim 32mm wrench still lying around that I had used to tighten a bicycle head set about 35 years ago... (posting a pic of the wrench in case in helps out someone else). Thank you all again for your help!

image.jpeg.4ed477f42fa83dd74134f2fdd711c8a5.jpegIMG_5072Medium.jpeg.1b3d32c6b244b2cbdd2bace9a4c3511d.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, steve b said:

The engine is in the 200 Tdi position

It's much further back than my ex-Disco 300TDi. What has determined that? The bellhousing maybe - will the gearbox have also moved across to this vehicle? I tend not to look at those sorts of topics but now I'm interested!