The Grenadier footrest.

Daan

So the footrest is the most talked about problem of the grenadier: I did sit in one at Goodwood FOS, and I cannot say that would be a deal breaker for me. Perhaps it is on longer journeys?

But it seems it is the deal breaker for a lot of people.

So I presume it covers the exhaust. I took a piccy as there was one elevated:

large.IMG_7178.jpeg.0bd0b9568399132d6ba342102dd902dc.jpeg

I can see a grinder/welder-based solution turning up before too long, looking at this picture.

Taking out the floor insulation lowers it by about an inch:

image.png.7a68c4d79f05c53dc3d932328061af4f.png

Any one had a go at this yet?

• Like 1

I drove one recently and thought it was a non issue. Maybe a long haul would say differently, but I'm not convinced it would be an issue. A tall and/or big person might have issues I guess, I'm not tall, so can't really vouch on behalf of someone who is, but again I'd be surprised. But I do wonder if it just media hyperbole more than anything, most auto only cars have some sort of footrest these days, including the new Defender.

ESdynBNh.jpg

Maybe all that is needed is an aftermarket option to add an additional upright section to change the angle of your foot. As per the new Defender above.  

There is significantly more intrusion than in a Defender, however it is highly individual. I did find it noticeable and a bit annoying how much my left leg was bent, but I only drove it for a few hours and would need a proper length drive to really get an idea of whether it would cause me a specific issue or not. It will be a deal-breaker for some people and others won’t even notice it, much like some people find classic Defenders cramped and uncomfortable while others can drive them all day with minimal issues.

It provides space for the exhaust, and is only there on RHD models so I can’t imagine Ineos will dedicate much resource to fixing it given it’ll only be an issue for a subset of owners within the minority market in terms of LHD/RHD. They’d be better fixing the steering as that affects everyone :lol:

The steering seems to be another individual thing. 

On an Individual level I’ve never driven anything where I truly liked everything about it - it’s just the balance of what you love to what you don’t that determines if it’s right for you (or if you even let yourself notice the problems!).

I guess how many people, of the right demographic, that leaves who would buy one is what determines if it’s a success or not at the market level. 

That we’ve yet to see for the Grenadier, though I am seeing a good few of them about. 

23 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

I drove one recently and thought it was a non issue. Maybe a long haul would say differently, but I'm not convinced it would be an issue. A tall and/or big person might have issues I guess, I'm not tall, so can't really vouch on behalf of someone who is, but again I'd be surprised. But I do wonder if it just media hyperbole more than anything, most auto only cars have some sort of footrest these days, including the new Defender.

ESdynBNh.jpg

Maybe all that is needed is an aftermarket option to add an additional upright section to change the angle of your foot. As per the new Defender above.  

Non issue to you maybe but obviously, as has been said, it is an individual thing. Those with a sensitive / iffy back / leg / foot or who simply bear the effects of aches and pains that often accompany aging may find the feature somewhat more of an issue. 

• Like 1

These issues are very subjective, but it is also surprising just how quickly an irritation can fade.  I initially found the slope of the floor towards the sills in RRC and Discovery annoying, but soon adapted and stopped noticing it.  Same with the hand brake lever in my 109.  I doubt many Classic LR drivers would have difficulty in becoming comfortable in a Grenadier.

• Like 3

Hmmm... I was driving "Classic" LR's nearly fifty years ago when they were current models - and owned umpteen different ones since - but sadly I'm still not sure my pins would take kindly long periods piloting a Grenadier with that lump in the footwell. But I can see I am probably in the minority here 🙂

You may be right.  Certainly, it’s a pity that the issue exists at all because the journalistic noise around it will already be putting some people off and others will try the car out looking for that fault with primed sensitivity to it, along with the steering feel.

I suspect they will deal with the press feedback over the lack of steering feedback by simply adding a bit more castor angle.  As for the bulkhead bulge, perhaps Drumstick’s suggestion of adding a wedge to its top to give a more comfortable foot rest angle would deal with it very effectively, or maybe even fitting an adjustable pad?

20 minutes ago, Happyoldgit said:

I suppose there could well be a cut, fabricate and weld solution but I wonder what warranty implications there might be?  

If you start re-routing the exhaust, and your DPF starts clogging up, they will wash their hands of it. Plus the galvanized body would start rusting in the area where you cut it.

These would not be things that particularly worry me, but I cannot leave anything alone, so probably not representative of the average customer that just spent 60k+.

• Like 2