i cant say if its better or worse longterm, it certainly gives more space in the engine bay going to the P38 box, with my conversion with the electric turbo actuator, it is really close to the steering box but still has clearance

2 hours ago, RedLineMike said:

i cant say if its better or worse longterm, it certainly gives more space in the engine bay going to the P38 box, with my conversion with the electric turbo actuator, it is really close to the steering box but still has clearance

is there any chance you could post pictures of your steering set up please.

1 hour ago, smallfry said:

What do you do about the panhard rod mounting ?

I don't like the idea of cutting away the spring pan fillet.

the blackbird kit has the panhard rod mounting as part of the adapter to fit the p38 box

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SteveG said:

Blackbird Industries Ltd P38 steering kit information pack.pdf 1.03 MB · 11 downloads

Blackbird fitting instructions. Not sure I understand the concern on removing and infill of the small corner section of the spring mount, but maybe I misunderstand you.

its not the infill as such, its the removal of the fillet that braces the spring pan to the top of the chassis, especially as it is the larger of the two. I would say this is structural, and a high stress area in hard use.

2 hours ago, smallfry said:

its not the infill as such, its the removal of the fillet that braces the spring pan to the top of the chassis, especially as it is the larger of the two. I would say this is structural, and a high stress area in hard use.

Sorry, I get the question now - my confusion was due to nothing else being removed. Either all or some range rover classic chassis don’t have the fillets on the front, just rear…

IMG_0925.jpeg

IMG_0922.jpeg

• Like 1

I remembered that Defenders have this fillet, I guess intended for more heavy duty use. Have a couple of Discos and RRC in the yard. Will have a look at them tomorrow, just out of interest.

Slight tangent but how does the P38 box affect turning with the tyres? Does it sit inside the wheel arc so to speak so doesn't affect it?

Just curious because a 1UZ with factory aircon etc., is very tight to a standard 4 bolt setup.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2024 at 7:39 AM, Ed Poore said:

Slight tangent but how does the P38 box affect turning with the tyres? Does it sit inside the wheel arc so to speak so doesn't affect it?

Just curious because a 1UZ with factory aircon etc., is very tight to a standard 4 bolt setup.

Been off the air for a couple of weeks .........

The 1UZ aircon compressor is on the passenger side (RHD) its the alternator that might foul the steering box, but it will clear if you get the engine high enough. Easy enough to relocate the alternator to where the aircon compressor was, but getting the belt to work is a bit more difficult.

I guess you want to keep the aircon ?

1 minute ago, smallfry said:

Been off the air for a couple of weeks .........

The 1UZ aircon compressor is on the passenger side (RHD) its the alternator that might foul the steering box, but it will clear if you get the engine high enough. Easy enough to relocate the alternator to where the aircon compressor was, but getting the belt to work is a bit more difficult.

I guess you want to keep the aircon ?

Either to add aircon or use it as a compressor, maybe...

I've got it clearing in a mock-up, just.

In case anyone is at all interested, I have checked the chassis and vehicles we have here .........

The 90/110s and Defenders have the fillets front and rear

RRCs and Disco 1s only have one at the rear

Disco 2s have no fillets at all !

• Like 1