aproche angle problems

series3_mad

i agree u can chop the ends of the bumper off, the wing is the next thing u can hit though :o

i would spend my money on tyres and suspension, or if u really want a bumper then buy a welder and make it, then u've still got it for making lots of other bits when u dream them up

ive got longer shackles with the old spring and shocks hopefull getting some rm paras and pro comp shocks

So in other words with the old saggy springs and the 1" lift you might just about be back up to standard ride height if your springs arent too knackered.

Spend your money on a set of parabolics. Think about some bigger tyres 31/10.50 are only about as tall as a standard 7.50x16. Think about something more around the 33 - 34" tall and now we're talking.

Forget the bumper - I've only ever bent mine the once thankyou chaps - easily straightened with Nige's sledge hammer! At least i know if i hit something the bumper will bend which is cheap and easy to replace - Tonk just bends the chassis when he hits something!

So what have you done to correct the castor angle on the front, and also sort the front prop out?

Jon

ive got longer shackles with the old spring and shocks hopefull getting some rm paras and pro comp shocks

So in other words with the old saggy springs and the 1" lift you might just about be back up to standard ride height if your springs arent too knackered.

Spend your money on a set of parabolics. Think about some bigger tyres 31/10.50 are only about as tall as a standard 7.50x16. Think about something more around the 33 - 34" tall and now we're talking.

Forget the bumper - I've only ever bent mine the once thankyou chaps - easily straightened with Nige's sledge hammer! At least i know if i hit something the bumper will bend which is cheap and easy to replace - Tonk just bends the chassis when he hits something!

So what have you done to correct the castor angle on the front, and also sort the front prop out?

Jon

jon,

u had the grumpy pill this morning? ;)

agree with wot u're sayin though

7.50*16's are normally 31.8" tall officially, they do vary though between makes

tonk ive got a welder which is about 30 years old but is one of those stick welders and ive try welding with it and every time i do something goes wrong, such as i tried to make a swingaway spare wheel carryier but i couldnt get the welds right so it ended up looking rubbish and i keep trying my hardish to get my welds to be strong enought not to break but i cant

tonk ive got a welder which is about 30 years old but is one of those stick welders and ive try welding with it and every time i do something goes wrong, such as i tried to make a swingaway spare wheel carryier but i couldnt get the welds right so it ended up looking rubbish and i keep trying my hardish to get my welds to be strong enought not to break but i cant

Just because your welder is 30 years old means nothing, in fact some of the oil filled ollies are superb.

Stick welding is an art, as is any welding.

Metal, needs not just to be clean but preped, this means a flap wheel or grinder cleaning off so you can see nothing but clean shiney metal.

Erath, must be 100%, again clmap onto a cleaned shiney silver bit

Rods, you need the right rods (dry) for the job, and the right current.

Then you need to know what you are doing, without being rude can you weld ?...its not just a case of plug and go, if you don't know find someone who does and have some lessons, if not find a night class at college, worth every penny, you won't be a cetrified welder, but you will be able to gas / arc / tig / mig / cut / plasma etc dependant on course contents, how much you pick up and how much you practise, Gas and Tig particularly are something practise make better, I am fairly rubbish at TIG, my mate can do it whilst talking and eating a Big Mac (shoves the rod through it and eats and tigs at the same time, and the welds are beautiful, I asked him what the secret was and he said

1. Be taught

2. 50 years practise

I pointed out that he was only 45 - 50 years old - said yeah, still learning :blink:

Nige

series3_mad,

definitely what Nige said about welding tuition, welding is not an instinctive passtime for most of us & a few "how tos" will never go amiss. As regards your tyres, 31 x 10.5s are nominally 30.4" tall, the same as 700 x 16s & 245/75r16s, 750 x 16s are nominally 31.8" & 236/85r16s & 265/75r16s are 32" Any of these latter are a better bet for a bit of clearance that your 31 x 10.5s [rant] which I think with the white spokes should be relegated to duty on Toyota Hiluxes : :angry: [/rant] :D:D

A point to consider & there will be others smarter than me on this, it was suggested to me once that a bumper that can bend will save your chassis, that if you have a super solid bumper & hit something hard with it you risk mullering the chassis, never done it but it sounded sensible to a degree :( Could be that if you hit anything that hard you've stuffed it anyway. :D

Cheers, Steve.

Michele that truck is actually a 109" SI. It is an even more impresive in the metal :lol::D

The current owner will sell/ build you a NICE :D bumper here: http://www.pangolin4x4.com/pangolin4x4/pro...rs/bumpers.html

and the previous owner could probably pull it off :ph34r::P:D as well, this is his site:

http://bcboffroad.com/

shipping from the colonies may be a bit dear thougth :rolleyes::o

cheers

John

Michele that truck is actually a 109" SI. It is an even more impresive in the metal :lol::D

(...)

shipping from the colonies may be a bit dear thougth :rolleyes::o

cheers

John

Hello John,

I may be wrong but the SI came in 107" wheelbase IIRC,not 109"...?

Or you mean it's been stretched?

I saw an auction on Ebay time ago,they asked 25K USD?

Chevy 350,SPOA,upgraded diffs and so on...wow!

B)

As to the bumper I made mine

:)

I see you're in Colorado.

Great place.

I regularly search for wheeling pics and always envy.

Do you know Keith at RT?

I bought a set of rear HD axles and I'm in touch with him

about Rovers and upggraded parts.

Hello John,

I may be wrong but the SI came in 107" wheelbase IIRC,not 109"...?

Or you mean it's been stretched?

I saw an auction on Ebay time ago,they asked 25K USD?

Chevy 350,SPOA,upgraded diffs and so on...wow!

B)

As to the bumper I made mine

I see you're in Colorado.

Great place.

I regularly search for wheeling pics and always envy.

Do you know Keith at RT?

I bought a set of rear HD axles and I'm in touch with him

about Rovers and upggraded parts.

It is a late Series I after they lengthened the wheelbase but before they changed the designation to Series II. I had the same "argument" with Timm Cooper when I saw the truck.

Yeah BCB want real money for the trucks that they have built but those are probably some of the few that deserve that kind of money as they have done A LOT of work on the engineering of turning Landies into perfect 4X4s.

Oh yeah I know Keith, I have not yet had any work done by him but he does great stuff.

The local club has some good shots on the website and several local members with good websites of wheelin. You should try and join us in Moab next fall [Avis will rent you an LR3 which was proven at this years rally to be quite capable].

cheers

John

You should try and join us in Moab next fall [Avis will rent you an LR3 which was proven at this years rally to be quite capable].

cheers

John

Wow, must be a different Avis to the UK one. :o Can't imagine getting away with renting one here for the weekend and taking it for a jolly at Slindon.

I have a winch bumper on my 90 which i think is 6mm, but it looks like a standard 90 bumper as far as the ends are concenred, so far it has not bent. I can not afford or be bother to raise the bumper or chop it around and find it far easier to just use a pair of Waffles instead to decrease angle that i am climbing. This is a lot cheaper and are useful for a load of other things too.

Jonathan

I had the same "argument" with Timm Cooper when I saw the truck.

The local club has some good shots on the website and several local members with good websites of wheelin. You should try and join us in Moab next fall [Avis will rent you an LR3 which was proven at this years rally to be quite capable].

cheers

John

Tim Cooper was the name behind,yup.

As to Moab and pleasure trips I'd love to come,

but my budget doesn't stretch that far...

:angry:

Re:renting a LR3?

I could never do that!

:lol:

Also,I did not take a pic (which I am afraid of right now),

otherwise I could show you how to get trapped in a traffic jam

while entering a trial course,thanks to a LR3 which went bellied out

on the first climb and needed to be pulled down...

:rolleyes:

I wonder of what the Avis guy would think when returning a brand new LR3

with scraped and dented body?And a "GOT MOAB?" sticker on the bumper?

:blink:

:P

No offence intended to LR3 owners,

I'd prefer to rent Tim Cooper's 109 instead,more my kinda truck

;)

Tim Cooper was the name behind,yup.

As to Moab and pleasure trips I'd love to come,

but my budget doesn't stretch that far...

Re:renting a LR3?

I could never do that!

Also,I did not take a pic (which I am afraid of right now),

otherwise I could show you how to get trapped in a traffic jam

while entering a trial course,thanks to a LR3 which went bellied out

on the first climb and needed to be pulled down...

:rolleyes:

I wonder of what the Avis guy would think when returning a brand new LR3

with scraped and dented body?And a "GOT MOAB?" sticker on the bumper?

:blink:

:P

No offence intended to LR3 owners,

I'd prefer to rent Tim Cooper's 109 instead,more my kinda truck

;)

The trick with the rental is to not tell them :ph34r: that you are taking the truck off road :ph34r::P and run it through the carwash when you are done to hide the evidence :lol::D [that and not incuring any scrapes/ dents :) ]

cheers

John