Double Garage Outfitting

ThreePointFive

It’s worth signing up to Facebook just to use their Marketplace sales space / even just to look for stuff for this.

I signed up under my dogs name* and made no ‘friend’ connections - I literally just use it for groups and market place.

Market place does have loads of obvious fraud - especially tractors and toolboxes it seems !  But there are loads and loads of kitchens that people are taking out and don’t want much money for at all. 

*the problem with that is that now half my village thing I’m called Bernie…

• Haha 1

On 6/28/2024 at 7:53 PM, jason110 said:

The LED battens from Screwfix are good quality. I would not bother with fluorescent tubes today 

Same here - working in the shed yesterday it became VERY obvious how much heat fluorescent tubes emit too! :blink:

On 6/28/2024 at 9:23 AM, FridgeFreezer said:

There's a few recyclers around, we used an outfit in Portsmouth for our last office but I forget the name.

That was this mob https://recycledassets.co.uk/

A few bits from there have been re-recycled into other offices and garages. If you have the space, one of the most useful things I have from there is a 25 quid industrial trolley with biggish wheels on it. Nothing fancy, just a welded steel frame, but it's not at all floppy (unlike the £100 Machine Mart equivalent). Handy for taking  the tools to the job, moving large or heavy items out to the car etc., and cheap enough that it's almost throwaway. I wouldn't hesitate to drill holes in it, weld things onto it or cut it up to make a 'thing', and go looking for another trolley at a later date.

• Like 1

The other thing about lighting is you cannot have too much and whatever you fit, you will also often need task lighting so don't over think it - throw a load of LED battens up.

• Like 1

Local general auctions and farm sales are sometimes a good source for decent storage and benches but of course you never know from one week to the next what is going to turn up. Having used kitchen units in the past one observation I'll make is that the faced chipboard stuff can be susceptible to absorbing damp.

I need two pairs of workshop / garage double doors to replace some side opening wooden ones here that are past their best. I had a couple of site visits and quotes for roller shutter jobs back in 2020 but a national and then personal medical event meant they were put on hold. I should not have waited as prices have increased significantly. I've recently had quotes for two pairs of side hung openers in steel, a snip at 4-6k 🙄🤢

6 hours ago, bishbosh said:

The other thing about lighting is you cannot have too much and whatever you fit, you will also often need task lighting so don't over think it - throw a load of LED battens up.

You can do sometimes, so I’d have it split into different sections. Over my bench I’ve got 3x 2ft twin tubes and it can get annoying with my welding mask dimming sometimes when it isn’t needed so I’ve got that split so I can knock each one off. Also useful when I’ve got a migraine coming and get light sensitive - but that’s rather niche! :lol: