Pfff Is nothing decent anymore..

Eightpot

1 hour ago, Eightpot said:

It's one supplied via our britpart trade account so pretty sure it's legit.  Surprising really as I'd have thought stuff like this would be both highly automated but also quality checked, being a brake thing...

It will have been hand made in China or India by unskilled labour and the QC is all signed off fraudulently.  That’s just how it is in those parts of the world.  They wouldn’t sell in the volumes that needs an entire automated factory line or real QC testing and inspection, so the cheapest methods would be employed in much the same way as the wheel bearing grinding in the video recently posted.  Expecting proper QC and differentiating between standards on parts because of them being for safety critical systems like brakes is a first world mentality.  As for Britpart, there is also a thread talking about bean counters ruining engineering companies.  It’s not just at Boeing…

10 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

A week ago I discovered a failure on a very, very expensive radiator supplied by a very well regarded manufacturer of aluminum products. And it's out of warranty. 

So the answer to the question is no. Nothing is any good any more. 

That would be infuriating at their prices.  Was it the core?  Those would be bought-in, the one part they don’t manufacture themselves, but it doesn’t excuse their failure to pressure test the rad.

At the moment I'm not sure, I'll post photos in my build thread when I can be bothered. 

They want it back for investigation and remediation (at my expense). I'm debating buying a cheap Chinese one off eBay and treating it as a consumable, I can get several for the price of this one. 

I've gone through two cheap Ali radiators, one failed after 18 months. No rhyme or reason to it, split where the core meets the tank. Both needed the aperture inside the oil cooler fitting opening up from 6mm to 10mm because they didn't flow enough and caused oil pressure problems. I now have a brass radiator.

Mike

2 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

They want it back for investigation and remediation (at my expense). I'm debating buying a cheap Chinese one off eBay and treating it as a consumable, I can get several for the price of this one. 

Tempting though that is I don't like buying cheap brake bits, at least more local manufacturers stand to get in trouble if their part kills you :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, miketomcat said:

I've gone through two cheap Ali radiators, one failed after 18 months. No rhyme or reason to it, split where the core meets the tank. Both needed the aperture inside the oil cooler fitting opening up from 6mm to 10mm because they didn't flow enough and caused oil pressure problems. I now have a brass radiator.

Mike

Was this a fully welded radiator, or the plastic endcap version?

20 hours ago, Eightpot said:

Pfff Is nothing decent anymore..

We're talking Land Rover here... I'm not sure it ever was.

I spent 45 years in the motor trade, roughly 25 working for British Leyland/Land Rover main dealers and independents and the rest on various Japanese makes.

As much as I love a Land Rover (and I've had a few over the past 40 years), they really are utter garbage compared to the Japanese offerings.

18 hours ago, Snagger said:

bean counters ruining engineering companies.

As always.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pat_pending said:

I spent 45 years in the motor trade, roughly 25 working for British Leyland/Land Rover main dealers and independents and the rest on various Japanese makes.

As much as I love a Land Rover (and I've had a few over the past 40 years), they really are utter garbage compared to the Japanese offerings.

As always.

We love the character, not the quality!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pat_pending said:

As always.

It is because we want a car that a 4 year old could draw.

Recently though, other car makes are having a lot of problems too, look at Ford with the ecoboost engine, someone thought letting a rubber belt run in oil is a good idea. Several million are now produced and it turns out, that was not such a good idea.

VW, PSA and others are also using this system.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, miketomcat said:

Fully welded.

What I thought; I must admit, I was reluctant to accept the plastic end tank radiators, but All my road cars had them and they have never failed me. The argument of them being hard to fix in the field when they go wrong is true, but equally, I never had to fix one, ever. So I fitted one to my land rover as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

And yet somehow we all love them, and no-one smiles & waves at a Land Cruiser...

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

We love the character, not the quality!

How true!

There really is no other vehicle like it, I recently considered replacing both the 110 and the Freelander with a Hilux, it would be far more practical, however... I just couldn't imagine life without a Land Rover.

But lets not kid ourselves just how bad they can be, not necessarily unreliable (all mine have been great in that respect) but just the general quality of everything. 

Currently I'm just wishing they could have made headlinings that didn't sag!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pat_pending said:

But lets not kid ourselves just how bad they can be, not necessarily unreliable (all mine have been great in that respect) but just the general quality of everything. 

One of the nice things is that parts are readily available (even if of dubious quality) and it's all very simple to work on. I just watched one of the Kimberley episodes of 4WD 24/7 where a rad was punctured in an 80 series. They said it was a 2h job to get that out! I've done a complete engine swap (admittedly with an engine crane in a barn) on my 110 in 6h, about 2h to remove the engine, rad, etc., and then 4h to lift the new one back in, connect everything up and test drive it.

• Like 1