What year did Discos switch to 24 spline axles?

Can't find a straight answer on the web!

I want a D1 complete rear end (disc to Disc) but must be a 24 spliner!

I'm in Australia, a fair few wrecks, but none nearby where I can just pop in and check.

Once I have a date range I can seek one out!

Cheers

Dave

Sadly there is nothing definitive, as LR used whatever was in the parts bin for years , it was the same for the RRC. 

That said, from 300tdi is fairly safe to say they are 24.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1994 with the D1 update.  ie the Change to the 300TDi and R380 gearbox or the 3.9V8 Serp also with R380 gearbox.

Be aware the the pre update was also sold in Aust in 94 with a 200TDi Lt77 gearbox or the 3.9V8 V belt with the LT77 box - these were 10 spline.

Garry

• Thanks 2

You will be able to tell by a photo of the hub.  If it has a domed drive flange, it’s 10 spline.  If it has the five bolt star shaped flange with a plastic center cone, it’s 24 spline.  Defenders used the same front axle parts (except 110 brakes) on 24 spline axles, but their earlier 10 spline axles also had five bolt star shaped drive flanges.  They are much thicker and have a bigger plastic cone, though, so should be distinguishable in photos. 

• Like 1

Discovery rear half shafts look the same from outside between 10 and 24 spline. Both are one piece with flatter mushroom on the end. From memory I think the disco front drive flange are also the same between 10 and 24 spline but I maybe wrong. Either way 300tdi on were all 24 spline it only random last year of manufacture 200tdi's that are 24 spline. I've have four 93-94 200tdi's two were 10 and two were 24 none had any visible differences outside that I recall.

Mike

• Like 3

Sorry but that's not right, I have some slim integral flange 10 spline shafts in my garage.... Came off a D1, were fitted for just a couple of years and hard to find. 

Also, my RRC was on 10 spline and had thin 24 spline separate flanges on the rear with rubber domed caps. 

Like I said, it's a minefield. 

9 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

There are differences. The later ones are slimmer.

10 spline Disco/RRC rear shaft:

IMG_8438.jpeg.2cbb5f3f66d955adf661c6130af97838.jpeg

24 spline Disco/RRC shaft:

IMG_8439.thumb.jpeg.bf19a150f0f8ca711a3c6d76cc5180fa.jpeg

The top ones are very early 10 spline disco and range rover up to about 1990, I think these are imperial too. The fronts of the era have a short stub shaft from hub to CV with the same mushroom head.

Mike

• Like 1

The only way to be sure is to pull the shaft out and look at the splines. The drive flange end, as explained above, will not give you a definitive answer.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2024 at 9:46 PM, Bowie69 said:

Sorry but that's not right, I have some slim integral flange 10 spline shafts in my garage.... Came off a D1, were fitted for just a couple of years and hard to find. 

Also, my RRC was on 10 spline and had thin 24 spline separate flanges on the rear with rubber domed caps. 

Like I said, it's a minefield. 

Sounds like those were 90 rear shafts fit by accident.

The diff is a good indication, 24 spline had the 3 bolt flange with rubber donut. I have never seen a 10 spline with rubber donut but i'm not going to say one never existed just the 24 spline/300 fell in line with the NVH upgrade circa 1994.

• Thanks 1