Lake District Campsites

Mo Murphy

Has anyone got any recommendations for campsites in the Lake District that accept dogs ?

It's not for laning just for a battery recharging holiday in the summer. I know I can google but I'm hoping that some of you could give me the benefit of your experience :)

Cheers

Mo

The campsite that Chris has mentioned is lovely. We stayed there a few weeks ago and did lots of walking- it's very very quiet, but has some truly lovely walks and the drive to eskdale over the highest road in the UK is truly wonderful on a clear day. you are also close enough to town so that shopping isn't totally impossible!

If you don't have one then i recommend you buy a copy of the good pub guide as there are some really good pubs that way but also some really poor ones too!

Guest dew110CSW

If you're heading up this way give us a bell, always up for a brew and a chin wag :)

Can't help with the sites I'm afraid.

if you have a slightly higher budget then i can totally and utterly recommend this self catering cottage: http://www.lakelandstonecottage.co.uk/cottage.htm

it is one of the nicest places i have stayed in for a long time and are dog friendly- the ownners are as frienldly as possible and have spent alot of love on the place.

I can't recommend it enough.

P1010024.jpg

sykeside campsite at the rear of the brothers water pub

we stayed here many time when on laneing trips site and pub owned by same chap

dog friendly can even take them in the pub first class food, the facilities are very clean,shop on site tel 01768482239

sykeside campsite at the rear of the brothers water pub

we stayed here many time when on laneing trips site and pub owned by same chap

dog friendly can even take them in the pub first class food, the facilities are very clean,shop on site tel 01768482239

I can also recommend the Sykeside campsite. Make sure you put any food away in your car overnight as tent raids by badgers are commonplace. The other campsite just down the road at Glenridding isn't that bad either but Skyeside would be the campsite of choice if staying in this area.

The Great Langdale campsite is also very nice (the Old Peculiar at the Old Dungeon Ghyll is top quality.) There's also a nice campsite just a hop over the Hardknott Pass at Boot.

Any particular area? Basic or luxury shower blocks? Tent or caravan/camper?

There are lots of sites in the Lakes, most seem to take dogs. The camping and caravan club site near Windermere is their flagship one and has very good facilities - it's large but quiet. It's a fair way out of Windermere itself, though, near Staveley. I'm just back from their site at Kendal, which is smaller, just outside town. Bit close to the road but not bad and you can walk into town. Outside the main tourist area of the lakes and there's actually very good walking to the north round Kentmere, Longsleddale etc. There are a couple of sites right next to each other at the south edge of Coniston - one takes campers and caravans, the other tents. Caravan site is good, I've not stayed on the tent site (think it's fairly basic), both are great for walking out of - you're right between Coniston Water and Coniston Old Man, easy walk into the village which has good pubs, huge variety of walking without ever getting in the car.

For more basic sites the National Trust ones are a good bet and usually in really nice locations, but I don't think you can book in advance for any of them - just have to gamble on getting there before they fill up.

we always stay at the camping and caravan club site at keswick, you don't have to be a member, and the tents are all at the front right next to derwent water, and it's just a 5 min walk to keswick and loads of pubs ;)

and they take dogs.

Al

Although if you aren't a member, ask them what it'll cost if you join. If you're there for a few days you'll probably about break even but then you'll save money if you use a CCC site at least once more in the next year :)

There's also a private farm camp site at Langdale before you get to the Nat Trust site. Basic but good. Try get as near to the farm as possible. Less of a walk to shower and less likely to get flooded if it rains heavy!! They take dogs. Pub within walking distance.

One thing to beware of is that both Langdale sites get v busy so not great for a quiet weekend away.

Kev

My favourite of the Lake District Campsites would be the National Trust Great Langdale one too. It gets very busy on summer weekends, but generally isn't too bad during the week. If you are into walking or climbing at all, you can easily fill a week with some great routes walking out from the site (did that a few years ago), and has already been mentioned the nearby pubs serve good beer, and local food (best bit of lamb I have ever eaten was in one of those pubs).

Facilities are good as well, including a drying room (which can be very welcome in the lakes!)

If you want somewhere quieter, the National Trust site at Wasdale head is equally as good facilitity wise, but as it is further from the motorway doesn't get anywhere near as busy.