Ground Anchor?????

russ3120

I was in B and queue the other day and they have ground anchors which look like coiled springs which u screw into the ground.

It had me thinking- the smaller ones were about 9 inch in length and about the same in pounds. Could you use these, say 3 of them in a row and linked? Just like pegging to the ground???

I was in B and queue the other day and they have ground anchors which look like coiled springs which u screw into the ground.

It had me thinking- the smaller ones were about 9 inch in length and about the same in pounds. Could you use these, say 3 of them in a row and linked? Just like pegging to the ground???

I don't see how 9" is going to offer any grip, nor will they be made to hold 1000s of KGs.

We use two 2" x 4 ft stakes for cliff/mud rescue, in the classic 45 degree rig, and we've moved the front one a bit on hard pulls, with almost 3ft of it in the ground.

I don't see how 9" is going to offer any grip, nor will they be made to hold 1000s of KGs.

We use two 2" x 4 ft stakes for cliff/mud rescue, in the classic 45 degree rig, and we've moved the front one a bit on hard pulls, with almost 3ft of it in the ground.

here's one i found on the seabed :D

post-1803-1176927719_thumb.jpg

though it's a bit heavy at 4.5tons :)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :unsure:

Yeah

JW and I played for a while (read made various versions none worked) :lol:

The key is

1. the angle of entry (ooer) of the blade

2. The point / shape of the balde and the stylee of same.

3. Strength vs weight

4. IF you can get the unit to dig deep and therefore be surrounded by earth then its "Cocooned" and doesn't bend

5. Ease of use, the Military ones are grerat but MASSIVELY HD / Heavy and a real time consumer to prepare and disassemble

So, eventually we did make some that worked, BogBrush managed to bend his by being a Ruffar*e :lol:

but I belive it still lives, he'll prob be along to post pics of the nice "Curves" he shoved into the main rail :lol:

Pics here (on the old now "Dark Side" Pre Lr4x4.com :lol: sort of "Destruction Testing"

http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/index.php?topic=277052.0

More here inc the "Warranty" dispute :lol:http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=1156&hl=

Mr Warne had me make him a 'super HD One', ..........may be for sale,... er, if it is its is "as New" and unused methinks :P

post-22-1176931025_thumb.jpg

post-22-1176931090_thumb.jpg

post-22-1176931306_thumb.jpg

Here are a few pics of the batches I made up,

and the answer to your 2 questions are ..

"No I am Not" and "Definately" :lol:

From memory..............

Initial ones made were

3.2mm Spade, 60x30 spine 2.5mm wall, and all plates at joints 5 - 6mm top rail 30x30x3.2mm

These were all OK for elecric winch use, BUT PTO and Mech / Hyd winches did "Reshape" them

(are you listening BB) you KittyGripper Killer you :P

The next batch incd some 'HD' Versions

5mm Spades with deeper joiners,

30x30x4mm rail 60x30 spine 4mm wall all bolt holes thick wall tubed, and all joint plates 6mm

To my knowledge NOBODY has bent these..................... (inc me :lol:)

Nige

:ph34r:

Bent my spade double :blink: , so as I have NO spade now <_< , It gets used to prop open the shed door... :lol:

Hint...Hint :ph34r:

I may have the Odd HD spade around that I bent and never made up.

I'll have a peek this weekend...........

Thats the prob with an 'H14' innit ................You assistant trainee ruffar*e :lol:

nige

Has anyone made thier own and if so did you by any chance do a draming with the angles? long shot i know

You can download drawings from Danish Land-Rover Club's website http://www.dlrk.dk/s/r.asp?wurl=30 as eighter AutoCad or PDF drawings. The anchor is of the Danforth type and quite strong, but I have seen a Mile-Marker bent the spade badly during a double line pull.

So, eventually we did make some that worked, BogBrush managed to bend his by being a Ruffar*e :lol:

but I belive it still lives, he'll prob be along to post pics of the nice "Curves" he shoved into the main rail :lol:

[snip]

More here inc the "Warranty" dispute :lol:http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=1156&hl=

[snip]

30x30x4mm rail 60x30 spine 4mm wall all bolt holes thick wall tubed, and all joint plates 6mm

1. Oi who are you callin' Bogbrush, ruddy cheek Barking mader :angry:

2. Ah yes the Warranty dispute the pictures of the "adjustments" I made to the design are in there somewhere :lol:

3. Send me one of your HD ones to try?

Yes the original still lives albeit not the same shape and with the strengthened spade, I must admit I haven't used it for quite a while, haven't been stuck anywhere for a couple of months, spend too much time playing out in the boat on nice days but I suppose I will have to go and "Christen" the new 110 at some stage :)

Forget about "hammer in and rope together type" stakes in the ground if it is remotely interestingly soft as they are a complete waste of time. The screw into the ground ones are just about as useless unless the ground is much, much too hard to get stuck in/on, unless you want to make lots of "imitation boreholes" from pulling them out and then break your/somebody elses/a horse's ankle in them.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :unsure:

Yeah

JW and I played for a while (read made various versions none worked) :lol:

The key is

1. the angle of entry (ooer) of the blade

2. The point / shape of the balde and the stylee of same.

3. Strength vs weight

4. IF you can get the unit to dig deep and therefore be surrounded by earth then its "Cocooned" and doesn't bend

5. Ease of use, the Military ones are grerat but MASSIVELY HD / Heavy and a real time consumer to prepare and disassemble

Pics here (on the old now "Dark Side" Pre Lr4x4.com :lol: sort of "Destruction Testing"

http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/index.php?topic=277052.0

Mr Warne had me make him a 'super HD One', ..........may be for sale,... er, if it is its is "as New" and unused methinks :P

post-22-1176931025_thumb.jpg

post-22-1176931090_thumb.jpg

post-22-1176931306_thumb.jpg

Here are a few pics of the batches I made up,

and the answer to your 2 questions are ..

"No I am Not" and "Definately" :lol:

From memory..............

Initial ones made were

3.2mm Spade, 60x30 spine 2.5mm wall, and all plates at joints 5 - 6mm top rail 30x30x3.2mm

These were all OK for elecric winch use, BUT PTO and Mech / Hyd winches did "Reshape" them

(are you listening BB) you KittyGripper Killer you :P

Nige

The cheek of it - Its certainly not for sale as the alternative I had my eye on failed with a less powerful winch than mine!!! May I also ask, Barker, how many complete thread should be showing through the back of a lock nut??? :ph34r:

P.S. Normal service will be resuming shortly - I tucked the truck up for 6 weeks yesterday. Shame really as the rear shock mounts were coming on very nicely.

I had one and never got on with it. My co-driver found it a pain to set as it used to plow rather than dig. It is a nice small package, though.

Jez had mine for a pair of trailing arms before he went to Ladoga for the first time. I never found out how he got on with it.....