The FlyingSpanners Ladoga '07 Blog Thread

it was a frog 1-2 and a Daihatpoo on volvo portals that came in third. IIRC 418 was the green frog this year.

Ummm, now i am confused, in the pics linked by petergg, green frog seems to be 417. Fine, ok.

Soo, what the heck is 406, i thought that was the other 'frog', as it looks so similar, or were there several 'frogs'?

The daihatsu on portals is easy to spot.

jock monkey - less irish whiskey and more looking at your pics!!

it was a frog 2, 6

Green frog 417

Orange Frog 406

418 is a Range Rover buggy (Black and silver) driven by big bloke with grey dreadlocks out of St Pete

.........which means we beat orange frog by 12 hours and green frog beat us by less than two...

more frog hunting to come :) shame they wont come to Estonia :(

Looks pretty extreme Jez - sit ups whilst the crew service the waggon! Respect! :lol:

The guys next door to us at last camp were doing weights & chin-ups on the service wagon while we drank beer :lol:

For those who wanted to know we get into Harwich at 6.30am tomorrow. Thank god for Gerda (Mrs Leo) who had comfy beds waiting for us this morning after a 500k drive from Rostock to New Amsterdam.

Well I'm home in one piece, which would make the 109 the only vehicle to make it back to the UK under it's own steam :ph34r: (Dan's RR had plenty of steam but not much go :lol: ) I have to admit I'm more surprised than anyone that it was me towing Dan off the ferry, I never thought I'd make it there and back without something major going wrong B)

PAS pipe has properly given up now so the last ~500k have been good exercise :rolleyes: Dan's RR croaked it in the p***ing rain 15k outside Hook Of Holland and the 109 has developed a strange cough on over-run since I took all the stuff out of the back, probably just a hint that I should probably tune it properly at some point :lol:

Rather worryingly other UK crew (Inc. mr Mcleary) weren't on the Hellstinky ferry, they were supposed to be on the same one as us but left camp a day later and had, like us, to negotiate the hostage release of their trailer at the rusky border - it took some superhuman patience, a lot of rubber stamps and top flight translation efforts from Zuz to get ours back - they don't have a Zuz so I hope they got on OK, I don't envy them at all and as I understand it if you miss the boat you have to pay again :o

Good to see you back safe Dude B) Knew Eddie wouldn't let you down.

Let us know when you're available for annoying so I can see pics! :ph34r:

If you're serious about needing bodywork Moo's (Mark with the P38) is breaking his old yellow 3door at the moment, good condition, it's round Steve Clother's place (same close as Paul Knight) as he's stripping a few bits off. Not sure if there'd be a few bits left? If you're not serious just ignore me.. up to my ears in American import paperwork and going slightly mad... :blink:;):lol:

Well what a top event. I am totally hooked. :blink:

I was invited to just tag along to see what the event was all about. I offered to assist in a mechanical manor where possible as I wanted to get stuck in.

I ended up building a Land Rover 90 in a car park in St Petersburg in 4 days, fending off muggers at our appartment, avoiding lumps of brick thrown by the local youth into the compound we were working in, Witnessing fatal car accidents, rescueing Russian Tourists from the Lake, avoided drowning in the Proto Bogs, swatted Mozzies the size of dinner plates away from my taters whilst hovering :huh:, hung off the back of various TR3 cars whilst hitching to view the stages, nearly rolled the Iveco Service barge I was driving several times, bounced along in the same iveco like some sort of low rider as the front shocks had boiled due to the corugations in the roads, howld along the road hiding from the DPC on the back of a truck trying to get ourselves back to camp, got chased by the Police, ate some strange things, and so on and so on! Crazy, crazy Russia. :D

We spent a couple of days back in St Petes sight seeing including the Tropy House off road club bar(Very Cool). We then took a train from St petes to Riga in Latvia where we stayed the night in a 4* Hotel. ;) We flew out the following moning into Liverpool where I had an emotional re-union with my Sara and my boys.

Top marks to Team Jez. Cracking bunch and very, very dedicated. Jez and Kim deserved better than 4th in my opinion. I have no doubt in my mind that they will be bringing a Trophy home with them next year. If I only end up a 10th as good as them I will be more than happy.

For those that don't know, James doesn't make cocktails in his bar........apparently. :P

I learnt so, so much about what seems to work, what to avoid and all the must haves for next year, so thanks to everyone who was so freindly and offered hard earned advice as it can only make my attempt next year easier.

I'll be lobbing some pics up in the next couple of days.

Paul. B)

Hooked and in the boat by the sound of it Paul! Must admit to aiming at tourist/grand tourist myself for next year ....got one or two mates tentatively interested for crew...chatting to fridgefreezer n dirtydiesel n pinkdiesel this morning at Harwich has only got me closer to the baited hook :blink::)

oh yeah and a nice milemarker raider off *blag yesterday B) just need some shafts n cvs to go with a 4 planet for the front and then its just money / time n kahunas :o

cheers

Steveb

Ladoga__132.jpg

situation normal

Ladoga__128.jpg

pebbly beach to drive on

Ladoga__149.jpg

Despite a west country supplier dicking them around so they couldnt race Tr3, Thoosh and LrFun had 2 weeks to build another car and did well in a 130 in Tourist class - ugyesekek fiuk!

Ladoga__217.jpg

more swamp - fortunately no side slopes or the portal trucks would fall over :lol:

Pictures from Leo & Benny are through now, got to sort them before uploading but here's a couple:

Signing up in St. P - it started strange and carried on getting stranger for the next week :unsure:

post-21-1182009306_thumb.jpg

Camp 2:

post-21-1182009429_thumb.jpg

Left-to-right: Vince, Leo, James/CosZuki/Skirtmonkey, me, Benny, Mariana sat down with Andy (I think) and Paul stood up.

The flying dutchmen teamed up with the Madagascar crew for some bridge building:

post-21-1182009709_thumb.jpg

Since CosZuki has most of our photos on his laptop he needs to get his finger out and upload some :P