The FlyingSpanners Ladoga '07 Blog Thread

Superb stuff Jez n Kim , Dan n Charlotte n Julia , what a result and more importantly WHAT A FEELING this will live on with you all forever. If anyone needs picking up from harwich as a foot passenger i'd be more than willing , if not would like to see you back so let us know when you are all coming back. The fortunes that put you in the right place to help your fellow competitor Prit are to be thanked .....the chi of Petal must be strong :P

cheers and again WELL DONE

Steveb

Morning everyone! :P

This has been one hell of a holiday :D

Just about alive again after driving for 14 hours straight yesterday from Ladoga to Helsinki. Getting onto smooth tarmac was a real shock to the system - I tried to shoot some video of the Russian roads but unless they were the good ones I couldn't hold the camera 'cos I needed both hands to grip the wheel!

The final result was Jez & Kim came in 4th by 4 minutes - the last minute change was due to another team's GPS logger spitting the dummy so they were given a DNF which pushed us up to 3rd, then appealed it last minute and were bumped back up to 1st. It was so last minute they literally ran into the prize-giving waving a bit of paper! Still a damn good result though - just getting something to the starting line-up is more than most manage, getting it across the line in one piece at the other end is a huge achievement never mind troubling the podium.

The guy who got snogged by Jez is Pritt Aus, he came in 5th in the end probably due to emotional trauma :lol: although if you see pictures of him it must've taken some guts on Jez's part to snog him :lol:

Dan & Charlie came in 16th with the 2nd fastest time of the day for the beach race, not bad for a rattly old diesel on skinny tyres! They are also the highest placed UK team beside Jez & Kim :D The RR is in need of a damn good polish now :huh: but it looks like it will live on and Charlie seems rather keen to do TR2 next year.

As for the 109, it's made it to Russia and back (give or take the drive to the ferry which is yet to come :ph34r: ) carrying a load of stuff and, by Dan's estimation / p*ss taking at every fuel stop it's hit between 15 and 20mpg all the way which I reckon is respectable for a poncy little V8. Having fuel at 39p/litre (for 98 octane too) takes a big sting out of it. Teething troubles were a lot of loose nuts & bolts and the never ending arse of the PAS pipe leaking/popping off due to the hydro monkeys selling me the wrong hose/ends. Lockwire stopped the popping off but no amount of jubilee clips could stop it leaking under the abuse of russian roads.

Not bad for a first test-drive me thinks :lol:

We have thousands of photos (I think Dan took about 500 just of the winch on Frog) which will take a while to collect, sort out and upload but as soon as I get home I'll be adding stuff to the website as fast as I can. Got quite a lot of video too.

There are lots of people I/we need to give big up massive thanks to (and probably owe money too) but I can't remember them all right now :unsure: so will do it later :P

Well what a tour! its all good and some guest navigation from Milla on beach race seemed to do something, even if it was just a grin stuck on her face still now i think! a few decisions have been made and some plans a little altered, but all fro the greater good!!

Aw Ra Best to all

James "wanna buy my Vit" Robertson

Don't you mean 2008 - you've got a year to finish George, should be plenty! :ph34r:

Don't you start - I think you should start preparing the 109 again as soon as you get home, in fact, I think I'll make you! ;):lol:

5 months of that year I have will be in Canada/America...and you may have almost tempted me with Portals before you went, but I really, really can't buy anything before we've done the trip! Although with all the mountain biking we're planning on, I could use that as 'fitness training' time ... :huh:;):lol:

Good to hear from you bloke, we've missed you! :D

sorry i am suffering from a little sleep starvation,

On the beach race Charlotte didnt want tyo race to Milla (my lass) stepped in to navigate for dan, well point at the course, and they scored 2nd place in the class.

I have decided notr to compete next year but to add more support to a team effort, thus i am selling my portal axled Vitara to fund buying a Volvo laplander as i can use this for both going on Safari and support truck next year.

U think that was everything?

Looking through the pictures again, amazing shots, but when i go back to the finish table, i read that truck 418 won, but i can not see it in any of the pictures put up so far?

Has anyone spotted it in the pics so far, i have seen 318, and 118, but not the winning truck?

I geuss the flying spanners boys will have it, but wondered if anyone else had seen a pic of it, just out of interest really?