how do you get oil into the gearbox etc

Paddy

I need to get ‘something’ to help me fill up the gearbox and diffs etc. (yeh, I know oil is as good as anything :lol: ) I had a syringe type pump but that only lasted a year before the seals shrunk ! Looking at the diflock oil safe pump, any comments for or against, or any half decent alternatives?

regards

I bought a pump that fits onto my drill got it from machine mart for £11 its a bit wild the first time I used it got oil every where but now its so easy just remember to keep the drill turned low

B&Q garden spray type thing works well. Just remove the spray nozzle and use a zip tie to hold the trigger, just pump the pressure up and leave till its full. Cheap, easy and it works.

Yep, garden sprayer for me too. Just fill with the oil of your choice, remove the nozzle from the end of the wand, pump up the garden sprayer, stick the end of the wand in the relevant hole, pull the trigger until gearbox is full, let go of the trigger.

Job done, no mess no fuss!

Regards,

Diff

I have an easy no need to be under the car type set up.

Halfords sell an orange oil funnel for about £5 this is very good as it has a flexi tube attached to bottom. I've cut an old washing machine hose down and this is a perfect tight push fit onto the funnel pipe and fits perfectly into the axle and gearbox fill holes.

Put funnel in engine bay high up pipe into gearbox and let gravity do the work. Makes it a very simple job no pumping or spraying oil every where.

B&Q garden spray type thing works well. Just remove the spray nozzle and use a zip tie to hold the trigger, just pump the pressure up and leave till its full. Cheap, easy and it works.

Me to. Have one for EP90 and one for ATF. PoP.

;)

Me to. Have one for EP90 and one for ATF. PoP.

;)

I did have two metal Duckhams cans, each modified with a dip/delivery tube and a car schrader valve in the lid. Fill with oil, apply crappy 12v tyre inflator to valve with delivery tube end stuffed in required orifice and that's that ... theoretically pressure can't build up further than the 'head' in the 1/2" delivery tube - a few psi - so it's safe and there's no pumping or running out of pressure. When it's full stop the compressor, job done.

Unfortunately, ep90 in the cold is a bit thick. I was in a prone position, tube end stuffed in diff filler when a can exploded about a foot away from my head :ph34r: Somehow even though the whole top blew out, the can remained standing, 3/4 full of oil and not a drop was spilt ... luck or what? :)

AndyG

Hello,

I have a syringe with a 1/2 litre capacity that I purchased from my local DIY store here in France. I have been using it for 18 months now and the seals are still as tight as they were when I purchased it. Replacement seals are available if they should go, but as yet I have not found the need. Cleaning after every use is the way to go. I have been using it for deisel, EP90, and ATF plus the odd use of Engine oil. It will suck out or put in (if you get my drift.) I have found it the most clean and useful way to replace all oils in my vehicles. It is about 14 ins long with a 12in flexible tube on. The price was 28,00euros.

If anyone is interested in one of these very useful tools PM me and for the cost of postage to the UK I am sure we could arrange something.

Regards

Philip

For a long time I have used an old 5 lb fire extinguisher. I removed the gauge and put a schrader valve in, then clamped a hose on it as it had a short aluminum nozzle. Just unscrew top, fill most of the way up, pressurize and fill. Just don't et confused if there is a fire. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
For a long time I have used an old 5 lb fire extinguisher. I removed the gauge and put a schrader valve in, then clamped a hose on it as it had a short aluminum nozzle. Just unscrew top, fill most of the way up, pressurize and fill. Just don't et confused if there is a fire. :lol:

LOL mate, theres a fire, heres a extinguisher, pour on the oil :D:D

I just go roound to Matt's house, lean on a broom and watch the oils change themselves :lol::lol:

Oi! I resemble that remark!

In that case Bish, I'll give the "helpful" answer... ;)

I use a very old but very functional gear oil pump for EP90 - it holds about 10 litres and stands about 3ft high (so taller than me, Bish...) Put the nozzle in the unit to be filled and wind the handle.

For ATF / MT94 I bought a "Hozelock" garden sprayer - that holds about 3 litres. Fill it with oil, put on the lid and pump the handle to pressurise the container. I've added a short length of washer tube to the end of the metal spray lance to gain access to the gearbox filler. As it pressurised, it's a case of putting the nozzle in the filler hole and holding down the trigger until the gearbox is full...

This type of sprayer is designed for water / weedkiller etc so won't work with thicker oils, but is perfect for ATF etc.

Hope this helps.

Matt (official Bish service crew) Neale

:)

we've got the good old syringe thing for out in the boonies re-fills (aka the love pump) - handy for draining as well as re-filling, in the Lab we found a good source was ex-pub/brewery cleaning tank things, they hold about 30 litres and have a schrader built in and a 4 metre long dong with a trigger on the end, pressurise to 60psi and oil fills take approximately half a cigarette :) bought two on a wheeled trolly for £10...bargain!!