wibbly wobbly speedo

• 4 weeks later...

Well I fanally made a start too mine today although im doing it back to front and fitting the warning panel first as ive yet to get the transducer, Can i link up the fuel warning light and original guage to work as it used to without the speedo?

Also Ive managed to get the following working

Main beam

Left Indicator

Right Indicator

Fog Light

A few of the wires left on my old loom connecters are doubled up and are the same colours, Do these need to be piggy backed together to plug into the new Td5 Conncetors?

Also some of the colours dont match retroanacondas table is this normal? Im sure ive read that people have had all different combinations.

Thanks

Dave.

existing fuel gauge & low fuel light wire colours are common to your vehicle & Td5, you can connect the fuel gauge direct to tank sender on the Green/black wire.

all the wire colour codes should be in this thread & it should be easy to match up to get it all working

gauge lighting on Td5 is red/orange to your existing wiring red/white

glowplug black/yellow to your existing yellow/black

what others do you need to know about ???

Take the fuel warning light that went to the old bulb and wire it to the new one, no problem :)

When I did mine, if there were two wires on the original bulb's terminal I put them both on the new terminal. Figured that as above, if it worked to light the bulb before it will work after and there is no need to fiddle more. Only exception was the indicator wires, which I split into left and right.

As for colours not matching, a lot of people have mentioned that to me! Unfortunately there's not a lot I can do about Land Rover's wiring variations or (more likely IMO) previous owners' modifications, however what I can suggest is using the relevant wiring diagram for your age of vehicle to ascertain what colour the wires should be for each function. Then it should just be a case of swapping wires over, for the warning light panel at least.

I need to charge my battery before i can have another go as its been stood for 3.5months and its gone flat, wouldnt start this morning managed to jump it but alas i have run out of electrical juice, the indicators are struggling to blink, will let you know how I get on.

cheers guys

Dave.

Dave,

I must say that the Haynes manual came in very useful for looking at what wire colours did what on my one. BUt as said above i also did it one wire at the time, looked at what bulb it was attached to then crossed ref to James' guide for the correct plug and terminal.

Chris

Dave,

I must say that the Haynes manual came in very useful for looking at what wire colours did what on my one. BUt as said above i also did it one wire at the time, looked at what bulb it was attached to then crossed ref to James' guide for the correct plug and terminal.

Chris

After taking a read through the thread I saw a comment about using the wiring diagram for your own vehicle and hadnt thought to look at it (stupid moment) :angry::lol:

Anyhow ive now printed it off my LR manual and it already makes more sense with my wire colours! :)

just waiting for my battery to charge so i can have another crack at it.

Thanks

Dave.

Its amazing how much more sense it makes with the appropriate wiring diagram for your vehicle makes :lol:

Most of the warning panel now works :) Couple of minior niggles, when I put the 4 ways on a few of the warning lights blink with them :angry: I think i know where 1 of the problems lies but its too dark too sort it out now.

a couple of questions

Ive yet too get the brake warning light on yet but I havent supplied the 16way plug with 12v yet I assume thats going to sort it? (I dont seem to have 2 white/green wires though? I do have a purple orange but have yet to check if it is 12v I cant find it on my wiring diagram)

Do the 'park brake warning light' and the 'brake warning light' need to be put into the same pin?

Cant wait to get the speedo done now, might also look out for a Td5 county steering wheel too :) loving the more modern feel already!

The brake warning light is earth-switched, so you'll need that 12V feed on pin 1 of the 16-way for it to work yes. Just bridge from the other green/white if you can't find another ignition-switched feed. The amp draw for the LEDs is minimal.

Park brake light and brake warning light are one and the same, so attach them to the same pin. It just earths the LED through either one to light it. Don't forget the bypass looms for non-ABS/TC vehicles (pin 6 to pin 10, and pin 9 to pin 13).

The improved lighting is a revelation ^_^

Its amazing how much more sense it makes with the appropriate wiring diagram for your vehicle makes :lol:

Most of the warning panel now works :) Couple of minior niggles, when I put the 4 ways on a few of the warning lights blink with them :angry: I think i know where 1 of the problems lies but its too dark too sort it out now.

a couple of questions

Ive yet too get the brake warning light on yet but I havent supplied the 16way plug with 12v yet I assume thats going to sort it? (I dont seem to have 2 white/green wires though? I do have a purple orange but have yet to check if it is 12v I cant find it on my wiring diagram)

Do the 'park brake warning light' and the 'brake warning light' need to be put into the same pin?

Cant wait to get the speedo done now, might also look out for a Td5 county steering wheel too :) loving the more modern feel already!

correct wiring diagram for the vehicle helps loads as you've found. :D

with hazards switched on, you should also see L & R green indicator arrows, a red triangle [hazard lights on warning] & trailer [indicator] light [green] & the red warning light within the hazard switch should flash in unison with the afore mentioned lights, if all are on then system is sorted :D

the park brake light goes to the red (!) exclamation mark in a circle, this is also your brake fail/low fluid level light,

I kept my park brake seperate & wired it to the unused ABS amber light, top row right of warning light panel.

Well all wired up now on the panel, cant wait for the clocks to go forward it still gets dark too early! :P

One problem though, glow plug warning light wont work!! It worked on the old panel, I checked the relay was working, and I linked the oil warning light over too it to see if that would bring it on but all it did was make both lights go out :huh::(

Can the LEDs be replaced easily or should i just look for another panel?

Now to sort the bits out for the speedo I recon, still yet too power it up, whats the best way?

Thanks for everyones help so far.

Dave.

Does anyone have any experience of changing the LEDs? or can they not be replaced?

My glow plug warning light doesnt work and my oil warning is also not working anymore although it did. Im sure I saw the LED panels for sale somewhere but i cant find them now.

thanks

Dave.

• 7 months later...

I posted this in here - http://forums.lr4x4....showtopic=72002

But it's probably more relevant in this thread.

I have a small quantity of the correct Sumitomo 14-Way HD090 Female Connectors (and Terminals) that fit on to the main harness and connect to the 14-Way Male Connector on the TD5 instrument harness -

th_DSC01849.jpg . th_DSC01850.jpg . th_DSC01851.jpg

th_DSC01852.jpg . th_DSC01853.jpg . th_DSC01854.jpg

With MOQs, shipping and import taxes, I've got be asking at least £12.00 each for these, in order to cover my outlay.

PM me if you're interested.

Or you can buy the big 14 way male and female AMP connectors here:

http://www.simtekuk....p=12&cat=129636

If you're going to change the connectors for a matching male/female set, then I would suggest that the one you've linked to at Simtek is a bit undersized.

Those AMP Multilock connectors use 070 (1.8mm) terminals, whereas the original Sumitomo connectors use 090 (2.3mm) terminals.

A better choice would be the 15-Way AMP Mate-N-Lock series -

http://www.simtekuk....p=12&cat=133588

1094_1722563.jpg

These are what James uses in his Technical Blog -

http://www.retroanac...a-200tdi300tdi/