OT: Please take a moment...

BogMonster

...to remember those who gave their lives in the Falklands in 1982.

14 June is the 25th anniversary of our liberation

space-2c2.jpg

They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them.

Garden of Remembrance

poppy-1.gif

Guest diesel_jim

I've been listening to it most of the day on the radio. Great to listen a decent British triumph where no politicians were worried about upsetting some ethnic race or another.

Congrats lads for a job well done.

As ever a job well done under very difficult circumstances.

- seeing the images of HMS Sheffield on the news burnt out after the exocet attack is one of those real "can you remember what you were doing when moments..."

I remeber sitting watching the TV news as is if it was yesterday transfixed as I think everybody was just astounded we could take a hit like that from what had been portrayed as a bit of 'rag tag and bobtail' outfit. Certainly brought everybody at home up sharp realising it might not be quite the walk over we all hoped for.

The campaign produced some real heros and hats off to Mrs T. for having the balls (well you know what I mean) - to sink the Belgrano - can you imagine the ruddy outcry now if our troops in Iraq killed so many in one fell swoop - they'd probably be had up for some sort of war crime.

Thanks for the reminder Stephen - will be watching out for stuff tonight on the TV

Guest WALFY

I can remember running home from school everyday to watch the news and see what was going on. Perhaps thats what drew me to my career. Not sure if that was the reason or not.

We will never forget or should be allowed to.

- seeing the images of HMS Sheffield on the news burnt out after the exocet attack is one of those real "can you remember what you were doing when moments..."

Were lessons learned? I wonder....

Saw Simon West tonight - lucid, intelligent comment. Top man. If I could be one tenth of the man I would be proud.

I used to know a man who stood up and charged a machine gun position on Mount Longden - he made three paces and was shot in the leg. Andrew Bickerdyke - again - If I could be one tenth of the man I would be proud.

Heroes one and all - and DEFINITELY a just cause.

Well done to all of you. I for one, will never forget you.

TwoSheds

Saw the retrospective by Brian Hanrahan on BBC last night. Surprised that 21 years have already passed since that unfortunate event. The Islanders seem to be doing very well and it appears to be an idylic place to live, due in no small part to the brave servicemen who put their lives on the line to liberate the Falklands. It would be remiss not to also spare a thought for the poor Argentinian conscripts that lost their lives serving under a brutal military Junta in a conflict not of their own choice.

Bill.