Bye Bye Rangie

landi41

from the Halifax, N.S. Chronical Hearald:

Seized luxury SUV meets demise

By NASREEN GULAMHUSEIN

Derek Ross shook his head as he watched his car-crushing machine flatten a 2006, fully-loaded $95,000 Range Rover on Wednesday morning.

The windshield shattered, the metal body bent like tinfoil and pieces of the car flew into the air as the machine’s jaws bit into the metallic orange vehicle.

Debris lay scattered in the mud below the crusher.

“What a mess,” said the 31-year-old owner of Rosco Crushing and Recycling Inc.

He was hired two months ago to destroy the illegal Range Rover.

Mr. Ross said the man who owned the U.S vehicle had a permit that ran out and he was unable to take it back into the United States.

The car, which is built in England, is considered illegal in Canada, “because it is an American vehicle. It is not a Canadian version of the Range Rover,” said Mr. Ross.

Jennifer Morrison, a spokesperson for the Canada Border Services Agency, said she did not know why the vehicle was seized at the border or the name of the owner.

“I do not have that information and even if I did, I would not provide it to you,” she said, adding that, “in these types of situations, when something is here temporarily into Canada, we have to know whether it has been destroyed or has left the country.”

An officer from the Canada Border Services Agency, who refused to provide her name, was present Wednesday to witness the crushing.

“All she was concerned about was that the frame got damaged,” said Mr. Ross. “Once the frame gets damaged, you cannot rebuild the vehicle.”

However, Mr. Ross wanted to make sure the entire car was crushed.

“Someone could have taken everything out of that vehicle and sold it for parts or built a new car,” he said. “We would have been responsible for it. We’re not going to take a chance.”

With leather seats, touch-screen GPS navigation system, rear-view camera and TV screens, the Range Rover is considered one of the most luxurious vehicles in the world.

It took 15 minutes to flatten.

“It should take 30 seconds to crush a car,” said Mr. Ross. “Big difference in quality from the American cars we usually crush.”

Rosco Crushing is not paid for its services; it makes money by selling the scrap.

“Eventually we will ship it out to Montreal. Put it on a flatbed and send it to our shredders,” said Mr. Ross.

“We’ll probably get a couple hundred bucks for it.”

newsroom

What a waste, there must have been a better solution than crushing it. :(

Yes there was............... they could have given it to me :) :)

I liked the line where the guy say it took much longer to crush than an American car........... probably had Jeep in mind :) :)

mind you the yankee dude probably told his insurance that his car was written off in a foreign country and they've paid his flight back and given him enough to buy another one...

I suspect he didn't want to be anywhere near any sort of law-enforcement officers!

Canadian customs do not issue destroy orders lightly, legitimate owners are given ample opportunity to export their noncomplying vehicles. However if the vehicle has been involved in the commission of a crime than all bets are off.

John

MOG, Did you have to bring up the Italian job, its taken decades to get over seeing the front end loader do the biz on the drop top DB4 :(:( , I still wake up screaming at nights ;), rather watch a brand new rangie being crushed :D:D

Cheers, Steve.

MOG, Did you have to bring up the Italian job, its taken decades to get over seeing the front end loader do the biz on the drop top DB4 :(:( , I still wake up screaming at nights ;), rather watch a brand new rangie being crushed :D:D

Cheers, Steve.

didn't they destroy a muira as well? I heard that one of them they had to do more than one take so more cars than were actually on screen were trashed :angry:

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

And my 90 is somwhere of the coast of Africa om its way to Australia and their customs,

Don't make me worry about customs any more than i already am :blink::blink::blink:

Be worried if it's destination is Freo (Fremantle that is!). A friend shipped out a nice MGB packed with goodies some years ago and when he went to pick it up they said it wasn't off the boat.

As he drove out he spotted it partailly hidden behind old containers near the unguarded gate!

When he went back to the office they denied all knowledge of its whereabout and they may well have been innocent, but he was damn sure someone had their beady eyes on it and he was probably right.

Good luck.

Alan H

Be worried if it's destination is Freo (Fremantle that is!). A friend shipped out a nice MGB packed with goodies some years ago and when he went to pick it up they said it wasn't off the boat.

As he drove out he spotted it partailly hidden behind old containers near the unguarded gate!

When he went back to the office they denied all knowledge of its whereabout and they may well have been innocent, but he was damn sure someone had their beady eyes on it and he was probably right.

Good luck.

Alan H

Certainly from what I saw of the N Atlantic run you've done the right thing putting it in a container.