Another Newbie stupid question

Gringo

I apologize for a silly question, but I have never owned either a diesel vehicle, nor a UK built automobile before. (I have owned a bunch of Brit motorcycles, but thats different.)

I had always assumed that one of the nice little side benefits of driving a manual transmission was that I could push-start a vehicle with a dead battery by rolling it down a hill etc. with the ignition on and popping the clutch in 2nd gear at about 10 mph or so. I have had a number of 4x4's that would do exactly that. My samurai will.

But those were all gasoline ( petrol), and now I have a diesel and no experience with such.

I was re-educated by one of my last motorcycles, a Honda 650 Nighthawk. It does not have a kick starter, its an electric start only. I found out that if the battery is dead, the engine cannot be push started. The electronic ignition needs battery juice to function. No battery, no spark.

So my question is, can you push start a 300 Tdi with a manual transmission if the battery is dead? I know its a dumb question, but I dont have the manual for it, and would like to know these things before rolling off down a steep hill expecting to be up and running before reaching the bottom.

Yes but you need to push it bluddy fast is the answer!

If the battery has enough life in it to light up the dash lights then it will hold the fuel solenoid in OK, but if it doesn't, then you need to get the engine spinning fast enough for the alternator to wake up and provide some electricity - and bear in mind it is also feeding a dead battery too. You would never really push start it - bump starting on a reasonable hill is possible (you'll probably need 10-15mph before you let the clutch out), as is a tow start. It isn't something to attempt in your driveway...

Pah. If the engine is healthy then it'll start fine - you need a lardy mate or a very slight slope. At Uni when I was too poor to buy a new starter, I'd park facing out of a space in a car park with a slight rise on it - open the door, heave ho and get up a fast walking pace before diving in, knocking it into 2nd and the 300Tdi would burst into life.

Can't say I've done it so much since I went auto though...

When I had a poor battery on my old Series I could bump start it by my self on flat ground with my feet out of the door pushing along flintstones style, It would start within one car length

Lewis :)

I've push started my 90 a couple of times, due to a flat battery (due to a dead alternator, but thats a different story).

A PP3 9v battery will hold the solenoid open, if push comes to shove (pun intended).

As has been said before, a slight gradient, or a couple of mates, and off you go. 2nd gear is the one to use.

Yep, no probs at all. The disco has suffered duff battery for past few weeks and I have had to bum it many times. Best was in a carpark, in reverse with about 8 feet of room to play with. She fired up and I managed to stop it before hitting the next parked car! I find the tdi to be one of the easiest starting motors I've ever had in a vehicle whether petrol or diesel.

You farmers, just can't help yourselves! :lol:

I was not going to be the one to mention backing up to strange vehicles in parking lots to get bumped....me being new here, and all...

Guest diesel_jim

You don't know how lucky you are...

when i "was a lad", we didn't have engines, had to push the cars along... none of these fangled internal cumbustion engine thingies... :lol::lol:

You don't know how lucky you are...

when i "was a lad", we didn't have engines, had to push the cars along... none of these fangled internal cumbustion engine thingies... :lol::lol:

Oh, the way you guys talk...pshaw. I probably got Levi's older than you are.