pull pal or PRT ground anchor?

BogMonster

Somebody here has seen my KittyGripper ground anchor and is looking at getting something similar.

The pull-pal distributor claims to be here http://www.blitz4x4.org.uk/pull-pal.htm has anybody dealt with him? just a bit wary of the "could you just put my payment through this other business" bit!

Alternatively does anybody have any experience of the "Portable Rescue Tree" - I see it is sold by the company who cannot be mentioned but I really wondered if it was any good. I know the PP is ok as the KG is based on this but I don't think I have seen any real world reports on the PRT on the forum - any thoughts please? It looks smaller to store.

He doesn't want one of the solid ones (as also sold by the company who cannot be mentioned) because of the amount of space they take up.

Prt works well to get your vehicle out. But then you face the challenge of getting the prt out of the ground- oh deary me. In the end we just had a strap attached to it, drive over it after recovery and pull it out.

I wouldn't buy it again.

Daan

Ta, that tallies with the only time I have "seen" a PRT which was on the Top Gear Discovery 3 test, when they were winching that out it just seemed to plough a shallow furrow across the surface even in what I assume was peat.

Harder type surfaces don't tend to be so much of a problem round these parts though :lol:

There don't appear to be any other UK pull pal sellers, at least not that I can find on Gurgle...? :unsure:

Edited after seeing Daan's reply - that is a problem with all the the spade type anchors I think, if the spade ends up below the surface they are a b&gger to shift!

I tie a rope to the trailing edge of the spade on mine, if I think it is going to go under (which it usually does round here)

Ta, that tallies with the only time I have "seen" a PRT which was on the Top Gear Discovery 3 test, when they were winching that out it just seemed to plough a shallow furrow across the surface even in what I assume was peat.

Harder type surfaces don't tend to be so much of a problem round these parts though :lol:

There don't appear to be any other UK pull pal sellers, at least not that I can find on Gurgle...? :unsure:

Edited after seeing Daan's reply - that is a problem with all the the spade type anchors I think, if the spade ends up below the surface they are a b&gger to shift!

I tie a rope to the trailing edge of the spade on mine, if I think it is going to go under (which it usually does round here)

Simon R and Northern Chris are doing a combined project spade with a weight of about (please ask them I might be wrong) of 8kg. Hopefully the first production run got to Billing without the paint running. By all accounts works in most soil conditions and doesn't give you a hernia picking it up! I had some technical input specifying the high strength steel to reduce weight but increase strength over normal carbon steels.

Simon R and Northern Chris are doing a combined project spade with a weight of about (please ask them I might be wrong) of 8kg. Hopefully the first production run got to Billing without the paint running. By all accounts works in most soil conditions and doesn't give you a hernia picking it up! I had some technical input specifying the high strength steel to reduce weight but increase strength over normal carbon steels.

PM sent to simonr, thanks ;)

x-eng website seems to be broken at the moment :(

Dave

Jusy got home now <_< it has PI**ED it down all day :(

GroundAnchor006.jpg

No wet paint on the anchor's just hot out of the tank from the platers ;) Must say i am VERY happy with the cutting on the Domex very very clean :)

Chris

Thanks Chris, summed up in one word - Trumpf.

Alternatively does anybody have any experience of the "Portable Rescue Tree" - I see it is sold by the company who cannot be mentioned but I really wondered if it was any good. I know the PP is ok as the KG is based on this but I don't think I have seen any real world reports on the PRT on the forum - any thoughts please? It looks smaller to store.

He doesn't want one of the solid ones (as also sold by the company who cannot be mentioned) because of the amount of space they take up.

Ask Moglite, he had one of these Portable rescue tree ones. We took it out to try it and could not get it to work. Phoned up where he bought it ,and they said it was the wrong type of soil .So we took it to differant types of soil and still could not get it to bie into the soil, Just skimmed across the top

The only way we found to get it to work was wrap it around a tree, which defeeted the idea of it :D

I've got a PRT. It's so good JST and TJ101 tried to steal it; Moglite had to eat his words and one or two others who shall remain nameless have tried to buy it off me.

The only Ground Anchor on the market I haven't tried is Si's. The only ones I would use are the DiddyDave system and the PRT. However this is based on real world overland type stuff and NOT competition...

BTW Stephen the PRT is the badgers cojones in boggy ground

I have one made by Tonk

I think on the Pul pal design

but much much stronger.

It has never failed to work when used boggy hard grounds.

like David says this is real world competition stuff none of your overland type usage :)

IMG_0102-copy.jpg

folds up and is easily stored in the 90 lashed to the high lift.

I think Will had the PRT and sold it on here some time back.

TC has a valid point.

I borrowed Ali Reads PullPal, and whilst the design is ultrclever and compact it is flimsy, thin wall (and I mean thin) open ends, holes through RHS with too big a hole really for the bolt and I did return it having straightened it out a lot :lol:

Alis I I think was also the biggest one they make, prob something to bear in mind if buying :unsure:

Nige

I was chatting with Si the other day about ground anchors and there are big differences in usage that greatly effect design. I have a feeling that Si's new anchor will be very good as he has spent a chunk of time developing it. The difference between competitive anchors and 'real world' is huge. I am lucky enough to have spent enough time in both worlds to have experienced this to some degree.

PP and PRT were designed for overlanding, not for competition, they both work very well, just as DD's three bar system works so well. Speed of erection (ooer) is not a worry, but weight and easy; secure and neat stowage are. A D44 anchor would be pointless in an overland situation but seems to be hugley popular in Challenge - having run up and down a few slopes with one, I would rather eat my own underpants than use one but they do work... As for SFS's anchor, don't even get me started!

what is SFSs anchor David?

the D44 one as favoured by a lot of people is no good for me either stowage is no good and I've seen

bent ones and deformed after a blip on the front winch when the rear was meant to be operated.

others have bent them fairly easily to.

I think their design came from seeing the outback ones in Aus

as their website had lots of pics of those in the gallery

from their trip to compete in the OBC

Can some one please explain to me the differences between 'Real World Overland Types' of ground anchor and 'Competition' types?

I thought the name of the game of self recovery was to un-stick ones self by using a ground anchor of any type.

I have been using a Pull Pal for the past twelve years and apart from the weight & un-friendly storage design I love it. My biggest moan is the depth that they can sometimes go before holding fast...this obviously makes then a bugga to get out again....yes! even in sand would you beleive!

I've had an eye welded to the rear end of mine.....a 6 foot strap attached to it makes it easier to hook up to afterwards to yank it backwards and out of the ground.

SFS - Staright Forward Supplies; ask Jim Marsden about it, he was there :blink:

Streaky - I suppose it's like comparing a vehicle designed for deep desert with a racer. You would lose valuable time simply assembling the PRT which wouldn't matter in a 'real world' situation. D44's anchor or now Si's you just grab and go. Those bl**dy dangerous front mounts for the D44 are superb for fast use, grabbing you PP from out the back of the passion bus is somewhat slower. Si's new anchor is (IIRC) almost half the weight of a PRT... Get the drift

BTW Streaky who is a good desert 'tour guide' in your part of the world, a mate of mine is out there soon for a business tour and was wondering. Was going to ask you on the other place but hadn't got round to it.

SFS - Staright Forward Supplies; ask Jim Marsden about it, he was there :blink:

Streaky - I suppose it's like comparing a vehicle designed for deep desert with a racer. You would lose valuable time simply assembling the PRT which wouldn't matter in a 'real world' situation. D44's anchor or now Si's you just grab and go. Those bl**dy dangerous front mounts for the D44 are superb for fast use, grabbing you PP from out the back of the passion bus is somewhat slower. Si's new anchor is (IIRC) almost half the weight of a PRT... Get the drift

BTW Streaky who is a good desert 'tour guide' in your part of the world, a mate of mine is out there soon for a business tour and was wondering. Was going to ask you on the other place but hadn't got round to it.

Hi HH. Understood now ...thx.

I remember the thread yonks ago when Tonk made that yellow anchor.....it's the only one IMHO that looks like it could cope with anything. All the rest look far too flimsey. I guess the weight of the vehicle being winched has alot to do with how much abuse a ground anchor design can handle.

Hopefully Si is onto another winner though....time will tell.

Funny how there will always be an exception to every rule....one of the Desert challange lads here has a Ni$$@n Patrol LWB and a portable winch back and front. He also uses a genuine Pull Pal.

The difference in our two events is that on a rally raid you can afford to spend the ten minutes or so to un-pack the recovery gear and deploy it etc. Where as ten minutes on a winch challenge could be an expensive loss of time.

As far as tour guides go. Emirates has a seperate company called Arabian Adventures that cater for tourism and desert trips. Arabian Adventures is managed by a German guy Yoken and his mate Heinz Klinz who won the camel trophy for Germany many moons ago. AA are the best and will cater for anything ranging from simple day trips...to five days in deepest Liwa empty quarter.

When your friend gets here....the hotel would have plenty of company names and contact numbers. Be warned by the dodgey companies without roll cages or experianced drivers...there are roll overs and nasty accidents every week because of lack of experiance....that why I reccomend Arabien Adventures above all others.

Bear in mind that the weather here right now is scorching into the 100's and the humidity is well up into the 60's in the day and 90's at night!

When is he coming out? We might be able to include him in one of our club outtings upto the mountains which are much cooler at this time of year.

Regards.

S.