Brake Pipe

smo

Thanks Chaps - Ian, when you say normal size is there an alternative?

For all the landrovers I have worked on the size has been

3/16 for brake pipes

The diametre of the brake pipe has to be correlated to the amount of fluid moved by the master cylinder pump action. Using a larger diametre pipe will therefore mean you have to work the pedal harder (longer travel) to maintain the same brake action.

Just replaced mine with 3/16 copper nickel pipe, just need some longer rear flexi hose's only place I have found what I want is Scrapion so hanging on for a few days to see what else I can find.

Peter

Check out llama, I think he does everything you need. He even throws you a forum discount :rolleyes:

Thank's I should have said I want Stainless steel fittings most only do coated end's but Scrapion do full SS. also I don't like the idea of paying for 1mtr when I want 500mm.

Sorry for the Hijack Smo!

Peter

.........The diametre of the brake pipe has to be correlated to the amount of fluid moved by the master cylinder pump action. Using a larger diametre pipe will therefore mean you have to work the pedal harder (longer travel) to maintain the same brake action.

Not for liquid filled systems because liquids don't compress.

Pedal travel is determined by the relative surface areas of the pistons in the master and slave cylinders, and of course how well they shoes are adjusted.

Narrow pipes make it easier to bleed the system because smaller bubbles move along with the fluid, they are cheaper and they withstand higher pressures. Their disadvantage is higher resistance to fluid movement, but in a properly set up system not much fluid is moved anyway.

Clutch systems (In Series landies at least) use 1/4 inch pipes as more fluid is moved and pressures are lower.

Yes, 3/16 is the standard ………………. ¼ or 5/16 for the clutch……….

I have to agree with Mo …………. David at Llama 4x4 provides a first class service for quality flexi hoses at a very reasonable cost …………. Just ring the guy, tell him the requirement length, and they are on your doorstep the next morning ………..

:)

Ian

Thank's I should have said I want Stainless steel fittings most only do coated end's but Scrapion do full SS. also I don't like the idea of paying for 1mtr when I want 500mm.

Sorry for the Hijack Smo!

Peter

I will happily make them for you with stainless fittings as well as braid if you want - pretty much the whole range of fittings is in stock in stainless asnd plated mild steel . A lot of aluminium fittings are in stock aswell but these tend to be for track use and I would not suggest them for road use..

The hard pipe around the car will be 3/16" - though more and more I am doing offroaders as racing / rally cars have been for yonks with stainless braid all through

David

also I don't like the idea of paying for 1mtr when I want 500mm.

Peter

The same price for up to 1 metre is to make life easy not to charge you extra just because you only want a short hose!!

The price is about right ( cheaper than most before you even get Forum discount ) for a 50cm hose. For how many people have a hose a full metre long I will stand the extra cost of hose as just as many people only need hoses 25cm long!

Giving the one price means that a hose can be invoiced ( 9 times out of 10 ) as a hose assembly rather than having to detail the price of each component of the fitting and a length of hose to the nearest cm.

David

The hard pipe around the car will be 3/16" - though more and more I am doing offroaders as racing / rally cars have been for yonks with stainless braid all through

Just out of interest, what are the advantages of using braided hose thoughout? Other than ease of fitting.

Just out of interest, what are the advantages of using braided hose thoughout? Other than ease of fitting.

Probably none! :lol::lol: It is a case of being very simple to make / fit etc.

One other advantage is in how easy unbolting cylinders etc. becomes with no need to disconnect / bleed the system afterwards, you can just swing it out the way on the flexi

David

One other advantage is in how easy unbolting cylinders etc. becomes with no need to disconnect / bleed the system afterwards, you can just swing it out the way on the flexi

Cylinders come out on the drum side and the pipe the opposite way, so how do you manage to get the cylinder out of the way while still connected to the pipe?

Les.

Cylinders come out on the drum side and the pipe the opposite way, so how do you manage to get the cylinder out of the way while still connected to the pipe?

Les.

There is more cylinders in life than wheel cylinders on dodgy old drum brakes.

Master cylinders, slave cylinders, fiddle brakes, calipers, etc.

A lot of race cars have fixed seats and the whole pedal box moves to adjust the length for different drivers - easy if the whole thing is on flexi...

Think beyond old Land Rovers and the benfits start to appear.

David

Interesting, but master and slave cylinders can be moved out of the way anyway - I only ever disconnect the pipe if the master or slave has to be replaced, which you would do with flexi pipes as well (and then have to bleed the system as normal).

Thinking beyond Land Rovers - well this IS a Land Rover website. :)

Les.