Looking for a Land Rover Camper

jules

in about 2000 I saw a two landrover campers one a 4x4 the other 6x6.

they looked like proper camper vans but had defender cabs but they had a extra 8-12" added to the middle of the bonnet and bulk head and grill (and had a third vent on the bulk head).

also each/all of the Salsbury axles were extended putting the diff in the middle to widen the whole truck.

this resulted in a fairly normal sized large camper A class with a very good towing ability.

I saw them at the Off Road World championships at Trenthem Gardens and some other shows that year.

Does anyone know who has them now or who built them.

they were big trucks

Guest WALFY

I remember seeing the white 1 at Billing a couple of years ago. I think they were from up North somewhere. That doesn't help much does it.

I remember seeing the white 1 at Billing a couple of years ago. I think they were from up North somewhere. That doesn't help much does it.

Its in the Sand :lol:

I can only find a refrance to 6x6 campers on the designer chassie site but only a few words nothiong more.

Foley maybe??

I cant see anything like you describe on their website but they have built some big campers in the past.

Didnt they build that huge yellow 6x6 camper that the vets crashed/rolled in africa on a bbc programme?

edited to answer myself! This one

Its more the living area room.

out normal camper was fanatic at towing and could knock the socks off any LR product for its towing ability but in a field it would get stuck, or have to slip the clutch when reversing and maneuvering a trailer.

I would like a 130 with a lift off bit but Vick is not too keen :(

Its more the living area room.

out normal camper was fanatic at towing and could knock the socks off any LR product for its towing ability but in a field it would get stuck, or have to slip the clutch when reversing and maneuvering a trailer.

I would like a 130 with a lift off bit but Vick is not too keen :(

I'll show you some stuff they have here , when you get here in a couple of weeks . Give you some ideals and sytles

I've had a look on the nene site but there are no prices for the demountable campers.

the ones I could find is showing around £15k mark then I have to find a 130 to put it on.

do I want a 130 as my every day car ??

Not quite what you are after, but there is a cool Ibex camper of a similar spec to what you describe.

Ibex.jpg

Camperbex

I can't remember if its 130" or 150" wheelbase, but the rear axle is a Salisbury, but with the short side replaced with a long side, to give a central diff, and more importantly a wide track for the demountable body.

My camper is being based on a MWB 35S12 Iveco (couldn't fit the LWB on the drive) as I wanted more space than a LR could offer with resorting to big expense.

Wal's Ibex camper is nice though. I bought the windows for my Iveco from him.

Jules

Can't be 100% sure, but I recall Designa Chassis may have built the extra wide chassis as a one-off for the 6x6 camper you describe.

Oddly enough I saw this truck while sat on the dock in Iceland waiting for the ferry home a couple of years ago.

The demount campers are about £14k dependent on spec. Check out NSR Leisure

Another option.... Italian Bremach with custom built body by Lyndi in Austria. This truck is owned by a guy in the UK. Beautifully finished. Helicopter latches on all internal doors to prevent them from shaking open. Cost? Don't ask!

Kev

My camper is being based on a MWB 35S12 Iveco (couldn't fit the LWB on the drive) as I wanted more space than a LR could offer with resorting to big expense.

Wal's Ibex camper is nice though. I bought the windows for my Iveco from him.

Yes he's a thoroughly good sort.

Not sure about that Mark90 bloke though :unsure:

;)

Might not be exactly what you want but this is my vehicle:

5401_DSC00687_1.jpg

If you have the August LRO there is a 3 page feature on it, if you want more photos or details just let me know.

Based on a standard 130 double cab, sleeps 4, Cooker, toilet, shower, heating, hot water, etc, etc. the BIG bonus is that it is only fractionally larger than a standard 130 (6 inches wider and longer) aprox the size of a 127 Ambulance.

Roof raises so you can stand in it but you can still sleep in it with the roof down

We just got back from a 2 week trip through the Alps in it ( the photo above was taken at 10,000 ft up in July and there was still snow on the ground!)

It is lightweight, built from a one piece GRP moulding. body is 20mm thick with high-density insulation. Even in the snow we didn't need the heater and in the sun it keeps cool (very handy for AUS)

We considered something based on a Merc Sprinter chassis but it was just way too expensive and too big. Our 130 camper will still 'just' fit into a hi-cube container, the widened one you're after will not.

Hope this helps

Simon

Might not be exactly what you want but this is my vehicle:

5401_DSC00687_1.jpg

If you have the August LRO there is a 3 page feature on it, if you want more photos or details just let me know.

Based on a standard 130 double cab, sleeps 4, Cooker, toilet, shower, heating, hot water, etc, etc. the BIG bonus is that it is only fractionally larger than a standard 130 (6 inches wider and longer) aprox the size of a 127 Ambulance.

Roof raises so you can stand in it but you can still sleep in it with the roof down

We just got back from a 2 week trip through the Alps in it ( the photo above was taken at 10,000 ft up in July and there was still snow on the ground!)

It is lightweight, built from a one piece GRP moulding. body is 20mm thick with high-density insulation. Even in the snow we didn't need the heater and in the sun it keeps cool (very handy for AUS)

We considered something based on a Merc Sprinter chassis but it was just way too expensive and too big. Our 130 camper will still 'just' fit into a hi-cube container, the widened one you're after will not.

Hope this helps

Simon

Good timing Si :D Jules I saw this one in the LRO mag and it looks smart. Not many pics of inside but it really made think. Maybe I could p/ex my Swift Fiat Ducato....... and then I saw the price! Ouch. It was the same price as my coachbuilt 05 plate delivery mileage warrantied 2.2dti Fiat based belter what is sat on the drive.

Ok, my 20ft won't go in a container, so if it's round the world you want, then that Simons looks to be the biz.

Simon, any chance of pics of the bed area (ooerr) and maybe a shot in the thru the door? I don't think the LRO shots did the interior justice tbh.

Cheers

Dave