Very quick opinion

muddyplugger

Question: Are Mud Terrains awful on road?

I run Colway ATs on my Disco which IMHO are great, and want to stick some on the Defender, but I wonder what Colway MT's are like on the road. Noisier I expect, but will I end up sideways on a roundabout in the wet?

I have also faced up to reality and this vehicle will mostly doing tarmac work, but want it at least capable when I go playing.

Again apologies for the 'tyre' question, but hope this is a different slant! :unsure:

I had AT colways on my 90 and they were fine for on/off road use mainly greenlanes and some pretty sticky situations.

I have MT colways on my 2a and they also seem fine, I have driven on the road in very wet weather with these and they are ok but my series is no speed machine

to be honest if u do mostly roadwork go for the AT's just to be sure

I've only ever heard praise for BFG MT's.

My dad has the Colway MT's on his Rangie and you will certainly notice they're on there, but as he says "for £45 a tyre who gives a ...?" :lol:

IMHO they're no worse than the cheap kwik-fit road tyres that were on there when he bought it, at least with MT's you don't expect them to be any good on the road.

If you want to drive like a loon stick with AT's, if you can accept either having to adjust your driving slightly, or enjoy power slides, fit the MT's ;)

Question: Are Mud Terrains awful on road?

As you will have deduced from the replies already posted, the answer is "not necessarily". I can't speak for colways as I have never tried them, but you could never describe the good new MTs such as BFG MT, General Grabber MT, Kumho MT etc, as "awful" they are just a compromise. In a vehicle like a Defender, a good set of MTs match the rest of the vehicle i.e. a bit noisy and (like the vehicle) they probably wouldn't be your choice if you did 300 miles a day on the motorway, but otherwise OK. MT tyre noise is much more irritating in a more refined vehicle like a Discovery where the other noise is much less noticeable - I ran BFG MT's on my old V8 Discovery and took them off after about 3 months because they annoyed me, but on a Defender, no problem as its only the difference between quite a lot of noise and a bit more noise.

The one area where MTs do fall short - especially in the wet - is emergency braking. Drive reasonably carefully, and it's not a problem.

For the BFG MTs I have fitted on the 90, I would say that apart from emergency braking the tyres are not the limiting factor on the way I drive that vehicle, the limiting factor is that with a heavy roof rack and spare wheel the handling becomes far too interesting when you start chucking it round, long before the tyres lose grip, and in fact I can't remember even squealing the tyres cornering, much less actually losing it. The general tendency of the door handles to touch the road on cornering, and the butt pucker factor that this creates, is the limiting factor, not the tyres :)

I think refinement is probably down to how well the tyre is made and to use an old phrase You Get What You Pay For so a £45 Colway is unlikely to match a £100+ BFG but I would fit them and see what you think.

You do get what you pay for

If you get some BFG MT's you will be impressed with the quality and in the US there garanteed for 50K miles

What wrong with the AT's you have there a BFG AT patten anyway if you get bigger you will brake stuff if you go more aggressive you will brake stuff.

So for the sake of the odd tow off road, and I will stand by off roading on AT's and Road tyres will teach you more about off road driving skill and improving your skill than a Simex ever will if you learn from them and pick up all the little tricks that you can pick up when you do progress up to bigger tyres you will have far more savy on how to drive on them and will be less likly to brakes stuff as you progess.

I have watched so many people go out and buy the best of everything but learn nothing and there trucks are impresive till they come up against someone that can drive that runs rings round them and has spent half as much to do it.

If you get some BFG MT's you will be impressed with the quality and in the US there garanteed for 50K miles

Oh how I wish that guarantee applied here :)

Approx 12,000 miles between both my vehicles (old 90 and current one) and my MTs are getting towards needing replacement.

Mind you the AT's on the Discovery were F'ed at somewhere around 24,000, I'm a long way off getting 120,000 miles out of a set of AT's or whatever the record is supposed to be :blink:

I should have worded that better the 50k is for the AT's not the MT's I have had well over 65000miles out of a set on a freelander.

But you do need to keep your eye on the psi if there to soft they will wear out very very fast if there too hard the same again.

The Dealer at a sevice droped the pressure to Factory settings (26psi) were as on the freelander they should be 34psi and in 3000miles it took 4 mm off the tred.

I've just had a set of 265/75's AT's fitted to my disco 2 but the fitter had a knightmare fitting them to the rims I will admit.

But it is a plesant feeling going round bend in the wet with steering which I never had before.

If you put any power down while on a round about she would just under stear very very unprodictable.

I used BFG MTs for the 2nd half of my latin america trip (90,000kms in all) and they're still going strong

with probably 60,000kms on them now and on all sorts of surfaces.

As BogBuster says, braking is not as good but you should always drive within your car's limits ;)

My 130 was bought with ATs on the front and Goodyear MTs on the back, the latter make an unpleasant noise

thats just like a dodgy wheel bearing so I'd not recommend that brand over the BFGs which make a nice

humming noise! :P

I think it comes down to how many miles you are doing and what sort of driving. You need to be honest with yourself if you're doing a lot of road miles, or stop worrying about it if you only drive a few miles a day.

I had XCLs on my 109 which were absolutely superb off-road and acceptable on road for short journeys and the occasional long haul on motorways. I then changed jobs and location and needed to drive about 70 miles a day on twisty roads through all sorts of weather. The XCLs proved to be a serious liability, even at series speeds. I switched to a good AT (still quite aggresive considering the boots being worn by most 4x4s these days...) and the on-road handling was transformed - much safer on corners and braking. Off-road performance has proved more than adequate.

They're all a compromise - circumstances dictate which one suits you.

Cheers

Luke

All these experiences are very useful, cheers! I think a set of 235/85/16 AT's on black modular rims is my final choice.

I'm no speed merchant (can't be in a LR) and for the few days playing in the mud, AT's will be more than adequate (they are on the Disco). Getting stuck is half the fun eh?? :D