Replacing Discs

mpb

I need to replace the disc on my 1996 Defender 90, is it worth spending the extra money and buying Delphi or AP Lockheed discs, or do I buy the cheep discs that most after market suppliers sell. The Delphi/Lockheed are about twice the price of the cheep ones, but are they going to last any longer or are they going to be made from the same type of cheese as the cheep ones.

What are your thoughts please.

Cheers

Tyres and brakes are one area I wont scrimp on - IMO they are the main thing sitting between you and death (commonsense apart!).

I got delphi ones from bearmach and they have been used off road for very deep wading and they have remained fine.

They might be dimensionally accurate but metallurgy is the biggest difference between a quality part and a cheap copy. I'm not saying that the cheaper ones aren't fine but a narrow harder layer might improve resistance to fade or high-temperature distortion, for example.

Despite being a lifelong spendthrift, I'd spend the money.

They might be dimensionally accurate but metallurgy is the biggest difference between a quality part and a cheap copy. I'm not saying that the cheaper ones aren't fine but a narrow harder layer might improve resistance to fade or high-temperature distortion, for example.

Despite being a lifelong spendthrift, I'd spend the money.

I'd totally agree. You may go through brake parts fast on a Land Rover (lots of weight and mud) but its not worth mucking about with cheaper, poorer quality components. Once you've experienced complete brake failier your views change slightly :ph34r:

For the third time Turbocharger is 100% correct :lol:

I'd think cheapo brake parts changed often would be the way to go for off-roading - if the bits are cheap I'm more inclined to bin them when they get marginal, if they're going to hit me in the wallet I'll run them till they turn to dust.

Mind you, the 109 has Wilwood brakes all round :rolleyes: and the (strictly tarmac) Range Rover has cheap Paddocks brakes. I have experienced complete brake failure in the past, it's what handbrakes and gearboxes are for. Failing that, it's what bullbars, trees, and seatbelts are for :ph34r:

They're what you get when you've had maximum value from a brake drum :P

It wasn't a LOL at the moment when it happened, but I have been there, years ago after buying a cheap indian made brake drum. Don't know about maximum value though. It only lasted 1500 miles before the flange and drum separated. Asimilar thing has happened with some poorly machined aftermarket brake rotors where the numbats have managed to make the inside and outside diameters of the top hat section nearly identical.

bill.

AP ones for me but be aware fronts and rear are different!

I found out after buying some alleged fronts only to find when the calipers wouldn't fit they were in fact rears.

when I had to replace a rear caliper the cheapo ones where real 1st class shoddy rubbish

I sent them back and fitted AP instead

I replaced the front discs on our 98 Disco Tdi while doing the swivel balls and also because the discs felt warped when braking. I fitted AP discs when re-building

Looking at the discs they look like genuine LR items going off the codes stamped on them. But look how they had gone, it had passed a MOT not long before i changed them to.

disc1.jpg

disc2.jpg

disc3.jpg