Super cheap racers

jules

Im looking for a very cheap racer

Does anyone know if there is much stregth issues with the Grand cherokee and normal cherokee drive chain

All I want to do is spend no more than £1000 ish on a car £500 ish on a cage then bacisly ready to race they do a 4.7V8 which has court my eye.

engine any good

gear box problems ?

transfure box Problems ?

axle's and diff ?

LSD or lockers as standard?

I'm hopeing that as its a yank truck it will be over engineered and could be fairly reliable for a bit of fun and the only complex bit should be finding decent shocks for it....

Just somthing to race for abit of fun just to keep the adrenalin flowing

everyone i know with a cherokee/grand cherry breaks the drivetrain more often than they would care to think about.

and i dno about the weight but i wouldnt have thought them the most sprightly of machines.

sorry if im not being any help

everyone i know with a cherokee/grand cherry breaks the drivetrain more often than they would care to think about.

and i dno about the weight but i wouldnt have thought them the most sprightly of machines.

sorry if im not being any help

:lol:

They look low and I would assum they have a good COG which is essential for racing.

remember racer only have small wheels

And also worth pointing out I won a few comps in a freelander of all things so I'm better than most at holding things together at speed and against all the odds is it staronge than a freelander

hello

i have a jeep wrangler it runs on the same dana 44 axels i have just done under 50ths miles in her so far done thrust bearing twice front wheel bearings 1 right pain as have to fit new hubs £400 each side just done rear wheel bearings at £80 a side.

hope this helps.

Don't know about G/box/T/Box but Jeep/Dana axles in standard form are garbage. Mate of mine makes a nice living out of repairing them, especially rear axles. You can beef them up with off the shelf aftermarket stuff from the US so they won't break, but wave goodbye to your racer on a budget! Say hello to the world of off-road racing.

Paul Johnson (Sussex / Horsham) has run Jeeps and pricey on spares

John Morgan (runs Slindon) has a Jeep and a bit fragile but again although probably no worse than a Land Rover the prices of spares are higher than our LR's

Talk to Simon R in a hushed voice, he had a diesel Jeep once upon a time.......................... :P

Paul Johnson (Sussex / Horsham) has run Jeeps and pricey on spares

John Morgan (runs Slindon) has a Jeep and a bit fragile but again although probably no worse than a Land Rover the prices of spares are higher than our LR's

Talk to Simon R in a hushed voice, he had a diesel Jeep once upon a time.......................... :P

On the Auto trader web site there are loads below £1000 and still alot around the £500 mark between the L and R age and som of the Gand cherokee's are around the £1000 mark so race on and have one for spares

Speaking to Mr Banfield about his J**p it was a lot of car for the money, relative to a similar RR for example, but the price of bits was just shocking, some parts were at least 10x the price of genuine LR parts, one I remember was he had a new steering bar and it cost him £400 or something silly. LR/RR may not be great but at least there's a plentiful supply of bits. Also bear in mind a lot of J**ps use leaf springs at least on the rear.

Jules the running gear can't be any worse than Landies. :)

Just depend what the tranfer and gearbox are like. But they do come with soem big engines

Well only cost you a couple of grand to find out

Don't like to admit it but keep seeing alot of thoses Jeep rubicans (the 4 door wranglers) and i quite like them :rolleyes:

Axle's will be ok with 205's on, most come with lsd in the rear but almost all need a rebuild. a late 4.7 might have f+r locker if your lucky.

A grand cherokee with the 4.7 in is not that much quicker than an older cherokee with the 4 litre,

They all suffer with cracked steering box mounts if you abuse them.

The std gearbox is ok (better than rover fare) transfer boxes are a little fragile.

Build quality is pretty appaling (even by rover standards), the wiring looms are insanely complex and messy, older XJ's suffer from rot in the boot floor and sills.

They do drive really nice though and are relatively light, and best of all old xj's can be had for next to nothing.

The 4.0 litre Cherokee my brother had was really quick (and juicy!) and great fun to drive, no problems with running gear, just the b****y electrics were a nightmare, if something worked one day it wouldn't the next! although you could be safe in the fact it would work again in a few days time!

Baz