Engineering test...

ThreeSheds

92% - staggeringly!

The question about the gear ratios got me confused and I missed that one.

I too got the piston one wrong as I only read as far as the correct (as far as I was concerned) answer.

I did the same with the bob weights by failing to read the whole question.

Water in the pipe, hands up, I got wrong on my own as I thought about venturii and just got the high pressure/low speed bits wrong. I do actually know the answer. :(

So, but for reading it properly and taking the time to think properly about it, I could have had 98% too. :P

The test says that it does not measure what you know, but to be honest, I think that it assumed a hell of a lot of knowledge. I only have GCSE Science to rely on.

Chris

I know no ones going to believe me, but 100%.

I did think about each one quite carefully (dont tell me boss).

a few notes/anbguities

- kg is not a measure of force

- which oil? some are heavier than water

- suction/air pressure - thats very debatable - yes air pressure is the direct cause, but only beacuse the piston has moved down & caused a reduced pressure.

96% for me B)

As has been said some of the terminology was plain wrong. Force in psi? :huh: psi was a measure of pressure when I was at school :rolleyes:

I got the piston engine one wrong too - you could say it was either I think, and both were arguably wrong. The other one was a "wibble" moment on parallel/series no idea why I got it wrong as I knew what the answer was :rtfm:

I knew I shouldn't have done this test :angry: , I got 3 wrong that I'm still disputing the answers :rolleyes::rolleyes: after reviewing it .

So the piston one I got wrong, as I said suction. I should have read this post to the end before doing the test :rolleyes:

The balloon one I still dispute. The atmospheric pressure is the same on all. The pressures inside the ballons are different. Semantics :rolleyes:

And the tube one I also got wrong. Now fluid dynamics are not my strong point but, if the liquid is flowing at a constant rate then I would have thought that the pressure would be lower in the wider section of the tube and higher in the narrower section. So if that's the case, B would be higher than A not the other way round.

I also got one of the gear questions wrong, where you had to match them up, but I struggled on that one :lol:

Cheers

Steve

The balloon one I still dispute. The atmospheric pressure is the same on all. The pressures inside the ballons are different.

IIRC, it does ask which balloon had the greatest pressure on it, implying that they are not all in the same atmosphere. The picture doesn't convey that though.

I got 92, not bad for a muppet. :lol:

IIRC, it does ask which balloon had the greatest pressure on it, implying that they are not all in the same atmosphere. The picture doesn't convey that though.

Thats pure Boyles law - Volume of a gas is inversely proportional to pressure where temperature is constant.