Engineering test...

ThreeSheds

74% - I hate gears, my brain doesn't work on them.

Phraseology for the intake stroke question.

I didn't read the question on one (lever question about which would be more difficult)

and after I clicked two I knew it was the other answer...

Yeah, it would have been better if all the questions were visible at the same time.

88%

Questions 24 and 25 are the same circuit drawn slightly differently, but give different answers :rolleyes:

Got the worm drive wrong and hard to go back and stare at it really hard before I managed to convince myself they were right after all...

Got a couple of pulley questions wrong, too, and the pumped constriction thingy, which I thought would act as a venturi.

I'm still convinced that the atmospheric pressure on the outside of the balloons is the same - it's the internal pressure that's different?!! Ah...just reread the question :blush:

80% and absolutely amazed that I got most of the electrical stuff right.

That balloon got me too.

Still, not that bad for someone who spends most of his time engineering pumps for oil refineries and the rest either using Autoglym's finest products or cooking.

That balloon got me too.

Yeah. I was looking at it as if the three balloons were in the same place at the same time, so atmospheric pressure would be the same on them all, so I couldn't understand how you got different amounts of gas in them and they were different sizes.

88% so I am happy as I only did 3 years in college 33 years ago :D

The bit I failed was finding how to review the questions :rolleyes: Now I will have to do it again to see the mistakes.

Shame there wasn't more electric ones :(

Nice post thanks for adding it.

82% and I never was good at blocks and tackle! Or electrikle stuff. I would like to know which questions I got right and which wrong though.

And they get 0/10 for spelling - the old principal/priciple one rears its ugly head again :o

just click the review results bit at the end of the test.

Doh :blush:

Twas the fans (Still don't get why it would spin in the same direction? :huh: ), water being pumped through pipes and the 12 volt batteries in series and parallel (Glad I don't have a split charge system...) that were my undoing.

Excellent link though, Ta

Shrek

I got 98% - so I guess I got 1 wrong. Thought some were a bit ambiguous. The one with a piston in a gas engine saying what causes the air to enter the piston. Is it the suction caused by the piston moving or the atmospheric pressure pushing the air in. Actually it's the differential pressure between the inside and outside, so both could be correct - but I went for the latter.

Most of the rest of it was straightforward with a bit of thought. I'll give it a go tomorrow when I'm not drunk!

Si

PS The fans go in the same direction by the way. Imagine if both were turning in opposite directions as shown, they would both be pushing air in to the void inbetween. turning the same way (as shown), one blows and the otrher sucks.

PPS Having reviewed the results, the one I got wrong was the planet gears one at the start. Case of mis-reading the options I think.

I got 98% - so I guess I got 1 wrong. Thought some were a bit ambiguous. The one with a piston in a gas engine saying what causes the air to enter the piston. Is it the suction caused by the piston moving or the atmospheric pressure pushing the air in. Actually it's the differential pressure between the inside and outside, so both could be correct - but I went for the latter.

Most of the rest of it was straightforward with a bit of thought. I'll give it a go tomorrow when I'm not drunk!

Si

PS The fans go in the same direction by the way. Imagine if both were turning in opposite directions as shown, they would both be pushing air in to the void inbetween. turning the same way (as shown), one blows and the otrher sucks.

Why did I just KNOW that SimonR would score top marks? :D

My GF (with no help) has just scored 78 :o and the ones she got wrong were things like the reciprocal to rotary one - where after all, if somebody hadn't told you it was called a crankshaft would you know? she got the fan right (and it was worked out).... Cripes I am impressed!

TS

Doh :blush:

Twas the fans (Still don't get why it would spin in the same direction? :huh: ), water being pumped through pipes and the 12 volt batteries in series and parallel (Glad I don't have a split charge system...) that were my undoing.

Excellent link though, Ta

Shrek

I considered the fans as srewed rod, with the air between as a nut. As the nut moves down the rod the latter must rotate in the same direction each side of the nut.

Si

PPS Having reviewed the results, the one I got wrong was the planet gears one at the start. Case of mis-reading the options I think.

Cor I feel in good company then as i misread that one. :D

Must learn to read better as I rushed it and missed 3 answers :angry: