New MOT computerised system

JST

Not that i know much about it, or need to really, but i do know that now if you take less than 45mins to do the MOT the Ministry will know (if the data is then added to the system) so your 3yr old car for 1st MOT will be 45mins min. not the 20min look around that can/used/did/does happen.

Well truck Cab had its tick in the box for the year on Sat. i did take it in a week early so that i had some time to sort any problems if needed. The only issue was that as this was the first time it had been added to the computerised system they could Not date the MOT from the expiry of my old cetificate. Apparantly this wont be an issue when re MOTing cars on the system but is an issue for first issue (!!!!)

So the warning is dont get your MOT done too early if its the first time on the new system as you may well lose days as in my case. Glad i didnt take it in any earlier!

The only issue was that as this was the first time it had been added to the computerised system they could Not date the MOT from the expiry of my old cetificate. Apparantly this wont be an issue when re MOTing cars on the system but is an issue for first issue (!!!!)

So the warning is dont get your MOT done too early if its the first time on the new system as you may well lose days as in my case. Glad i didnt take it in any earlier!

Well i stand to be corrected,, but not correct,, the Tester has the option to enter the previous mot expiry date, and so long as within the 30 days, can still be done, ie previous test expiry 10 dec 2005,, new mot will run for todays date to 10 dec 2006 !!

Well i stand to be corrected,, but not correct,, the Tester has the option to enter the previous mot expiry date, and so long as within the 30 days, can still be done, ie previous test expiry 10 dec 2005,, new mot will run for todays date to 10 dec 2006 !!

When I got mine MOT they dated the new ticket from the old expiry date.

Martin

1996 Defender 90

The new computerised MOT isn't necessarily a good thing. I'm not aware of any time problems, but some garages are using it as an excuse to make more money. The most common ones are that because they have to log into the system a second time in the case of a fail - they have to charge 1/2 the test fee again (making it look like they have no choice).

The tester types into the computer what your vehicle fails or passes on, so the fail sheet is printed out rather than the hand written sheet you would have previously got, so DVLA know what it failed on as well now. The next time you go for the MOT, it's likely that the garage will know where you last had it tested and when, if it passed or failed, and what it failed on.

It's very common for people to forget that their vehicle is due for the MOT, and more often than not I take a car for the MOT and the old one has already expired.

I think it won't be long before you get a fixed penalty through the post if your MOT has expired and you haven't renewed it. A reminder would be a good thing, but big brother won't stop there I feel.

Les.

I think it won't be long before you get a fixed penalty through the post if your MOT has expired and you haven't renewed it. A reminder would be a good thing, but big brother won't stop there I feel.

Les.

Then you'll have to prove you didn't use the vehicle since the MOT failed and you went for a new one. My garage actually sends me a reminder.

Interesting comment re: 45 minutes (now where have we heard a 45 minute claim before... :ph34r: )

The wife dropped our Audi off for its MOT the other day at 08h55, the MOT certificate is timestamped when authorised / printed from the computer and I noticed it said 09h22 and commented to my wife they they didn't take long :blink:

just had it confirmed in an email from VOSA (MOT department) slightly different to what I said above but

close enough

Dear Mr Sigsworth

Thank you for your e-mail.

Re-test's are still the same as they were before MOT Computerisation came

in. The VT9A states the following:

If the vehicle stays at the test station which failed the vehicle, to be

repaired

No Additional Fee

(Partial Re-Examination)

If the vehicle is taken away and brought back to the same test station and

retested before the end of the next working day on one or more of the items

listed on the fees and appeals poster (VT9A)

No Additional Fee

(Partial Re-Examination)

Anything other that the above then you would have to pay the full fee again

and have a full examination carried out again.

I hope this is of help to you.

Regards

Rebecca

So you only get one day to put the failures right.

It's a case of make sure everything's spot on before the MOT, rather than see what it fails on.

Incidently, I had my tax renewal today - I can renew on-line. They know whether I'm insured and know if my MOT is current! :ph34r:

But they could only nick you if your MOT has already expired and not if you are driving away from the test centre to go to get it fixed or back if MOT is pre arranged

because you can take your vehicle for an MOT upto 30 days before it runs out and if it fails you technically still have thirty days legal motoring

Well I took two cars for the MOT at a different test station today - one without the new computerised sytem.

First motor was a 6yr old fiesta. It passed, but advised both front brake pipes, rear number plate, and a tyre. £30 trade, but £39.50 to joe public. The test took 30-minutes, but the guy knew his job, as did his assisstant. The second was a '96 Astra Estate, which failed on two tyres and a white indicator bulb. It has Advisory on quite a lot, but again the test only took around 30-minutes. No re-test fee, and I have 14 days. I think the 45 minute 'thing' is just a guideline.

It's always wise to take your vehicle for the MOT a couple of weeks before the old one runs out. If it fails, then I suppose technically you are driving it illegaly after the test but before the old one runs out, unless you are of course taking it home or to a place to be repaired.

Les. :)

Edited by Les Henson

But they could only nick you if your MOT has already expired and not if you are driving away from the test centre to go to get it fixed or back if MOT is pre arranged

because you can take your vehicle for an MOT upto 30 days before it runs out and if it fails you technically still have thirty days legal motoring

They can still nick you for having a fault on your car irrespective of MOT status or whether you are going to or from a testing station, by appointment or not.

This is typical of how our laws are formulated.

Roger is right. If your car has failed on (for instance) bald tyre, no brake lights, you will get your collar felt by plod if you get a tug while on a public road, as these are breaking road traffic regulations. But to be fair, at the bottom of the fail certificate there's a little box that says 'this vehicle should not be driven (or is it dangerous?) for the following reasons:-

In which case bald tyre and no brake lights should be listed in there. The tester is telling you you shouldn't drive it, but he can't stop you, only the police can do that, so it's up to you if you do, and then you take a chance on being nicked!

Les. :)

This quite alot of fun, so i wont bore you........

But basiclly the exmaniner has to log on to do a retest and then can not log on again for another 45minutes.

So what they saying is YOU must pay for that 45 minutes. Simple really.

And to be honest if it was your business you would do the same.

The M.O.T inspector that does all our vehicles is finding the new system quite good now he's got his head round it.

Jim :)

I belive that the next day [free] retest -only applies to lighting and wipers. anything other than that is full retest of the vehicle. Unless as it's been said before the vehicle is left for repair at the testing station..The resone behind it is that if you have to replace disks or pads you might disturb other things that could become dangerous. The 45minute rule is a guideline or at least it used to be. It was quiet difficult to enforce 45 min rule as there was no way of telling how long mots took to do, unless mot station was doing too many mots in a day then DOT[Vosa] could pull the garage about it.[but I think DOT only looked at monthly average. Now with big brother watching they can implement the rule in to the MOT program. The plans for big brother were even bigger then what they are now as when DOT tought of this system initialy[ it was going to be computer controlled [which it is ] plus every MOT staition was going to have camera installed so that when mot was in progress they could have randomly monitor testing station doing the test. At the moment the only way Vosa can check the testing station to see if they do the mot's properly is by eather sheduled visits[mot stations know that inspectorate is coming and get prepaired for visit] drop visit or by sending one of their testers to pose as a costumer and watch the progress of the test from waiting bay.The other thing that was in plans [and I belive some might alredy be in altough not heard about] is that after mot was finished the pass or fail data was going to DVLA,police and post office. So that when you got pulled by police they knew if you had MOT or not, and if you went to post office you could tax the car with out having paper MOT as all they had to do is put your registration in the system. So yes BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING and I think it's going to get worst or better depends which end of reciving stick your on.. Greg.

• 4 months later...

i think the letter of the law states a full price retest, but in august they are introducing a £20 retest option.... a lot of it is down to your individual test stations discretion... if you use a good place, who know landrovers, and know you, then you should be fine... but bear in mind there are a lot of total w***ers working as MOT testers, and a lot of MOT stations just out to rip you off.

mine was tested on monday, and it came up on the system as a pick-up even though its a hard-top, they can edit the form and change this, but only if they understand landrovers.

if you are in, or near Essex, go to RJ Harvey in rayleigh, they know their landrovers, are honest and apply common sense to the whole proceedure.

Well truck Cab had its tick in the box for the year on Sat. i did take it in a week early so that i had some time to sort any problems if needed. The only issue was that as this was the first time it had been added to the computerised system they could Not date the MOT from the expiry of my old cetificate. Apparantly this wont be an issue when re MOTing cars on the system but is an issue for first issue (!!!!)

Maybe you were unlucky or the MOT guy didn't understand the system properly. I took my Defender for an MOT today - two weeks before the expiry just in case of "More 'Orrible Trouble" and it passed :D and the new cert has an expiry of 13 April 2007 :rolleyes: