Defender pretender

mattwhitfield

I'm probably gonna open a huge can of worms here but..........

I've seen a few series 2 and 3's tarted up to look like defenders, is this difficult to do as I fancy having a Defender Pretender

I would only wanna change the bodywork, doors, bonnet, arches, grill. I've tried the search engines on here and can't find any info.

I apologise now to all the purists.

Matt

You'll need the bonnet, grille and slam panel for the front. If you want the doors to fit then

you'll need to change the striker plates. To properly get the look you'll need to fit a one

piece windscreen or a Defender screen and frame but then you'll need to change the roof

and shorten it. Up till this it was all simple bolt on. Not too diff to mod a roof though.

Drill out rivits at rear, trim and re fit.

To fit the eyebrow arches you'll need to drill a few holes.

Think that's all there is to it.

You'll need the bonnet, grille and slam panel for the front. If you want the doors to fit then

you'll need to change the striker plates. To properly get the look you'll need to fit a one

piece windscreen or a Defender screen and frame but then you'll need to change the roof

and shorten it. Up till this it was all simple bolt on. Not too diff to mod a roof though.

Drill out rivits at rear, trim and re fit.

To fit the eyebrow arches you'll need to drill a few holes.

Think that's all there is to it.

Cheers Nige

Not to worried about the roof or the windscreen to be honest it's only gonna be an off road toy.

Where abouts in the wirral are you?

I'm in Ellesmere Port.

I've got defender arches, bonnet grill, slam panel, windscreen, roof and doors on mine.

I think it looks much better that way, plus its alot nicer to drive. The windscreen makes a massive difference and having wind up windows is nice too. I needed the arches to cover my wider wheels and the bonnet was done in order to allow me to get a bigger radiator in to keep the V8 cool.

And before anyone asks its still on series chassis, axles, suspension etc.

Jon

If you really want a defender these days you may as well just buy one rather than hack up a serviceable series :rolleyes: also they're common as muck :ph34r:

Quite, and I would rather prefer to go the other way round since a flat front looks pretty hidous. Why would you want to destroy the most iconic landy shape?

Mine:

237F9442-copy.jpg

Daan

Fair play to you Tonk thats a beast. Mine definitely needs moddin. What size tyres have you got on it?

34*11.50 jt2's on 15*10 rims, arches trimmed just a tad :)

a landrover is what you make it, some prefer the series look, i prefer the defender look

That's the last time you'll be allowed in that garden centre young man! :lol:

I went back once already!

a landrover is what you make it, some prefer the series look, i prefer the defender look

Ok, Fair comment, but if you can package your engine behind the series grille, fitting a winch is going to be easyer and with a better aproach.

The shape looks so right with the grille moved back and a winch fitted. On a defender a winch is always going to look like an after tought. The future is retro imo.

Daan

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Looking at it now, very impressive. Just bought a series 3 tonight. Want to do the Defender facelift myself.

Hello thankyou keep a eye on it should be more picks on today just fitted a 300 tdi snorkel etc all ways good for idea's.

How far you plan to take it in to defender land?

David ;)

Hello thankyou keep a eye on it should be more picks on today just fitted a 300 tdi snorkel etc all ways good for idea's.

How far you plan to take it in to defender land?

David ;)

I had a V8 110. I sold it due to rot and no money Then I ventured into Disco territory.

MISTAKE.

I am now the proud owner (when I pick it up) of a 24v FFR 109 ex army.

I AM interested in swapping for a Diesel 110 though, even though I haven't even driven this thing yet. It's a 2.25 engine, canvass and hoops, no roof. Looking forward to driving it. :) And being ex army, the bulkhead looks new, probably is new.

As for defender land, I am starting to feel it would be wrong to do this. It is what it is. A Series 3. May as well enjoy it, sell it on to someone who will appreciate it, and buy a 110 CSW instead of hacking up a piece of British history.

David, Your 2A is coming along nicely... Nice idea on the filter rotation...

I really like the series 3 you picked up. Let me know if you come across another roof like what is on the 3. I've been looking all over up here for one, but haven't found one close by yet...

David, Your 2A is coming along nicely... Nice idea on the filter rotation...

I really like the series 3 you picked up. Let me know if you come across another roof like what is on the 3. I've been looking all over up here for one, but haven't found one close by yet...

Hello Ray i was given the series 3 by a guy who did not want it, its all reasonably sound want to try to get it as near to standard as possible.

I got the snorkel fitted on the 2a and the new wheels really made a difference.

Best wishes

David :rolleyes: