In the wing or outside the wing...?

bishbosh

Just took delivery of some tube to start making a cage for the RR. I know pretty much what I want for the whole truck except I cannot decide if I should put the windscreen hoop inside the front wing or outside........ :wacko:

Mr Farmer's disco with them in:

post-121-1201213247_thumb.jpg

and Lawrence's Disco with them outside

post-121-1201213283_thumb.jpg

I want the cage to offer as much protection as possible to the bodywork so I am leaning towards going outside, but still need to be convinced....

Opinions please......

3 main reasons for me going inboard were

1. as Chris says, less chance of hanging up on a branch (avoid all vertical runs if possible).

2. trying to minimize width as far as possible (the body on a Disco/RRC is about 8" wider than a 90 without a cage to add to it.

3. I wanted my cage to be chassis mounted so the body remained isolated on its' rubber mounts. Even inboard the outriggers I fabricated were about 14" long. Going outboard would have added another 4 inches or so and increased the leverage/twisting torque (or whatever the technical term is :P ) on the structure.

Oh and it looks better too I reckon (but I would wouldn't I :D )

Bish

IN IN IN IN IN IN.

I have outside the body cage. Protects the body from 99% of stuff BUT when on the DRD for example it slices the bank. You then end up with huge slices of mud on your motor and James moaning at you :( . And that was just the front wing bars. The vert bar by the windscreen again slices mud and pushes it against the bodywork and will deform your panels.

If I wasn't going to Ashcrofts next week to spend a lot of money I'd be changing my cage. Will have to weigh up either making my own or saving for a QT cage.

Chris

I thought you were going to link a pic of my motor then with it's climbing frame :P

Bish, I'd say defiantly in. I particularly liked Nige's description of making a vehicle look like a toast rack - spot on :lol:

If you think you're going to have problems with the bodywork being venerable you could do like Dirty Diesel did on his G wagon and use box section for the bodywork section of the front hoop. Its loads more work (especially to make it look right on a RRC) but it'd give you all the benefits.

The innies seem to be winning - so I'm going to offer some balance towards the outies.

I like my kiddies climbing frame!

It has been on its side.

It has been sitting on its bum!

I have forced it between trees and other solid substances without damage.

I vote for an outy!

Mine started as a full cage, with the rear half internal & the front external, then I decided I didn't want any expensive body damage and ended up with this:-

Love it or hate it - it sure does the job!!!

Andy-T.

post-475-1201284688_thumb.jpg

Just took delivery of some tube to start making a cage for the RR. I know pretty much what I want for the whole truck except I cannot decide if I should put the windscreen hoop inside the front wing or outside........ :wacko:

Mr Farmer's disco with them in:

post-121-1201213247_thumb.jpg

and Lawrence's Disco with them outside

I want the cage to offer as much protection as possible to the bodywork so I am leaning towards going outside, but still need to be convinced....

Opinions please......

must get some more bread.............. :D

have used mine aggressively without need of panel replacement, also my Son loves to climb over it but not when i'm driving :lol:

I like to keep mine reasonably bash free & the external cage does just that, it also prevents unwanted removal (by trees) of wing mirrors.

So at least it complies with the design brief.... and to be honest I prefer the look and protection.

But each to their own.....

inside wing/foot wells ? on disco that's not an option without loss peddle space what does your truck offer in terms of getting a fix onto the chassis?

I had to design/make and weld on 4 substantial outriggers .

good luck Bish

post-892-1201287105_thumb.jpg

After listening to Walfy moan about it you have to go in.

Its not like you compete so it shouldnt matter too much anyway.................................

Nick - i think hes after a little more body work with his though!

OK, so the "In's" seem to have it.

Can't do half and half without complicated bends in the tube which would also compromise strength.

Anyone fancy a trip to Weston -super-mud? Got a SWMBO free weekend and all I've manged to do is cock up my first bend attempt!! :lol::lol:

Desperately in need of a grown up!! :lol::lol:

Hang on Bish, you would never make a politition. wait untill everyone has had chance to vote.

Dont be miss guided by these doubters, it has to go outside. Believe me, I speak from experience. What good does it do inside, I guess you could hang you dinner suit on it. Outside it serves a purpose. Not only does it look cool and groovey but it keeps the god damn trees away.

post-978-1201294677_thumb.jpg

Just to clear things up, they only bit I am unsure of is the bottom of the A pillar tube - should be outside the wing or inside the wing. Never fear Bob, the rest of the cage will be outside to fend off those pesky trees!!

Something like this:

post-121-1201336116_thumb.jpg