topping up aircon

munkymush

whats the best+cheapest way to ckeck+top up the air con refridgerant r134A is the fluid .. where is the best place to buy it and do you get a hose to fill it through ?

how much does it reckon to need ? is it easy to do i dont fancy paying a company to do it if its do-able at home cheers glenn

I think you can top up with a bottle yourself, but you're supposed to use a proper system to fill it up from empty. On mine you can see the top up valve on the pipe (drivers side just in from the bulkhead)

Anywhere should be able to sort you out for a refill, quickfit were doing an offer where if it didn't make it noticeably cooler it was free - or something like that

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAR-AIR-CONDITIONING...7QQcmdZViewItem

It's not a DIY job. The fluid is not topped up as any other fluid in the vehicle.

If the AC is working ok then leave it be. Make sure to switch it on from time to time (even in winter) for 5-10 mins and it will be fine.

But if you want to mess with the refrigerant, don't forget to kiss the compressor goodbye...

I have seen a DIY set in Halfords,

I believe theres a test to check the system that you buy first, then if required you buy the top up.

I hav'nt looked at it properly so I could be wrong but it may be worth a look.

Ivan

Just had a look at web site

www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_201507_langId_-1_categoryId_35126

check it out.

the best way to top up your aircon is to get a proffessional to do it, dont be fooled into thinking its an easy 5 minute diy job with a halfords special, topping up with these types of refill can does not take into account any moisture in the system and can lead to the system failing or at worst having a pipe explode(yes it does happen), as said if your aircon is not working it needs the proper maintenance carried out

knowingly topping up an aircon system that has a leak also carries large fines and/or jail terms

all aircon people should have a certificate of competence and from july this year will need to be licensed

Guys,, the AC system on modern vehicles are NOT a DIY job,,

The car has to go on a proper AC machine, which in basic terms, vacuum's the system, then hold that vacuum, to check for leaks,, If the vacuum drops, a dye is added with the gas, to help find the leak !!

If OK, a lubricant is then added, followed by the gas, depending on the system, around 700-900 grams of R134, for a full fill !!

You can and do lose gas if on R134, without having a leak, a lot of vehicle manufacturers now work on a check every 2 to 3 years The old R12, which is now illegal, never seams to lose pressure,

Lack of use, does them no good, run in the winter as well, ! even if only for a few minutes,

As already said, despite all the cans of this, that and t'other on eblag and elsewhere get it professionally serviced.

That's actually the cheapest way as they will know what amount of refrigerant comes out and what amount of oil also comes out. The vacuum will remove any moisture in the system & reveal any leakage points.

When recharged the correct amounts will be put in.

If you DIY it & there is insufficient oil you will be shelling out for a replacement compressor.

They are a critically charged system so the gas charge has to be spot on, or high pressure problems can arise. ie. Wrecked compressor, nuisance tripping of high pressure safety cutout, blown hoses, lack of correct oil charge.

I wouldn't mess about with it, the amount of gas and oil is fairly critical, and you might do more harm than good by just topping it up.

If gas is leaking out the system may have eith air or moisture in it, both of which need to be removed prior to re-charging.

I work with monster refrigeration plants holding 250KG of R134A and 120 litres of oil (designed for navy ships) and the oil/ gas level is pretty critical on these aswell....

It is a 5 minute job :P i got a can of r134 by castrol of e-bay (where else!)

Air con as fitted to cars loses about 10% volume of gas per annum.

So mine was 5 years old and whilst it cooled it was not cold enough, so one can and its been as good as gold for last 18mths or so.

Also worked on wifes Mini same age as disco and her old Merc.

So long as it works at the moment it prob just wants a top up and the can will acheive this cheapl

Lynall

In Australia it is illegal for anyone to work on a AC without a licence. Big fines due to Ozone and greenhouse problems.

R134a is a critical charge and if you still have a label it will be some where between 700 to 900 grams plus or minus 5-10 grams.

If you are experianced you can top it up but you need to be carful not to overcharge it.

Head pressure problems will be the result of an overcharged system.

If you have lost too much gas then you suction pressure will be negative and a good possablilty you have sucked in moisture.

New dryer and evacuation is then needed.

This is all after you have found the leak. I would start with the compressor shaft seal that is a very common problem.

Running though the colder weather keeps the oil up to the seal keeping it lubricated and less chance of leaking.

Peter

This is all after you have found the leak. I would start with the compressor shaft seal that is a very common problem.

Running though the colder weather keeps the oil up to the seal keeping it lubricated and less chance of leaking.

Peter

I always wondered why they said you should use it periodically during the winter - now I know :)

Guys,, the AC system on modern vehicles are NOT a DIY job,,

The car has to go on a proper AC machine, which in basic terms, vacuum's the system, then hold that vacuum, to check for leaks,, If the vacuum drops, a dye is added with the gas, to help find the leak !!

They didn't do that with mine, I took mine to a main dealers a few months ago to see if they could tell what was wrong with the aircon and how much it would cost to fix, to diagnose it they plugged it into the AC machine told me they needed to suck everything out first (that took 5 or 10 mins) they then said there was basically nothing in there, they then started pumping the stuff in to fill it up, as they did this it started hissing out of one of the pipes - and the mechanic said there's your problem that pipe has a hole in it, he switched the machine off and left it to drain out of the hole.

Long story short - unless I can find some second hand bits it isn't worth fixing

They didn't do that with mine, I took mine to a main dealers a few months ago to see if they could tell what was wrong with the aircon and how much it would cost to fix, to diagnose it they plugged it into the AC machine told me they needed to suck everything out first (that took 5 or 10 mins) they then said there was basically nothing in there, they then started pumping the stuff in to fill it up, as they did this it started hissing out of one of the pipes - and the mechanic said there's your problem that pipe has a hole in it, he switched the machine off and left it to drain out of the hole.

Long story short - unless I can find some second hand bits it isn't worth fixing

they would have charged it with nitrogen to find the leak, he wouldnt or shouldnt have used gas as its illegal for one, carries a possible £20k fine for 2 and a possible custodial term for three

In Australia it is illegal for anyone to work on a AC without a licence.

it will be here after july where i work we have to be licensed by then to work on mibile systems fitted to agricultural equipment, quite handy as i can do my own landy as well then :rolleyes: