Snow....

Matt Neale

"As part of the joint effort between the RAF and the Navy, two helicopters carrying blankets are being sent from St Mawgen to Bodmin where a centre has been made available for drivers stuck in the snow."

For God's sake! :angry::angry::angry:

As a taxpayer I am sick of hearing that year after year the government has been doing nothing at all to educate the people that in winter snowfall is possible and therefore they should drive on winter tyres and dress appropriately.

It's only minus one or two degrees below 0! It's only a few inches of snowfall! You don't die becase of this, just get your ass a bit cold and need to drive more carefully!!!

For God's sake!

As a taxpayer I am sick of hearing that year after year the government has been doing nothing at all to educate the people that in winter snowfall is possible and therefore they should drive on winter tyres and dress appropriately.

It's only minus one or two degrees below 0! It's only a few inches of snowfall! You don't die becase of this, just get your ass a bit cold and need to drive more carefully!!!

It is a source of some considerable amusement to the rest of the world that every year, around this time, the whole of Britain (present company excepted of course ;) I know most on here look forward to it!) feigns shock and surprise at the arrival of 1/2 an inch of snow and the entire country grinds to a halt in absolute chaos :blink:

I was watching the BBC news last night and there was some item about hundreds of cars being stranded somewhere or other - and there wasn't even any bluddy snow on the road - it was completely clear!!!

You don't really need to do anything - I spent 3 years living in Durham and I used to live in a little village about 7 miles outside the city and drive in every day in my ancient Metro (11 years old when I got it). Never any problem, never once failed to start and it used to get #kin cold, the village was in the bottom of a valley and I regularly used to see ice on the inside of the bedroom window! When it snowed we used to deliberately take the back roads in every day because 1) it was much more fun as there was nobody on the back roads which allowed "Juha Kankkunen" cornering on some of the bends 2) there was usually a 1/2 hour queue to get onto the main road out of the village and 3) when you did get onto it half the time it was only travelling at about 5mph anyway. Never had any problem, as long as there was less than about five or six inches of snow (more than that started to drag underneath) a small front wheel drive car could zip around with absolutely no bother - and the old Metro was built way before the days of ABS and traction control. My entire winter preparation used to consist of buying an ice scraper and a couple of cans of de-icer...

My 25oz barbecued steak last night was delicious by the way :P

We got down there fine till 10 miles short of Bodmin at about 9.30pm every road was grid locked so we waited for about a hour out came the potty light and the os road atlas(all we had) and we navigated the last few miles up and down some big unsalted roads with sheet ice on with so we drove very carfuly well two british off road class champs and a Mist works co-driver calling the bends the disco was grate fun just the wife was half egging us on and half complaning that the dogs may get sick. We came across a big merc swift van that was doing a Italian Job impretion off a wall on a bend but no one was around so we didn't stay to help after all the fun on the empty back roads. We rejoind the A38 to find traffic again remember ths was 11pm by this stage and all the truck lined up on the roads and the vans all waiting to get out of Bodmin some had been there all day pour guys. We drove out across the main round about and between two trucks and into Bodmin I got a odd look from a policeman in a Disco due to I was playing on a round about trying to get her to slid out more but we quickly moved on and parked up at the Sister inlaw's for a hot meal and a few beers with her four refugee's that all stayed due to they could not get home.

We got down there fine till 10 miles short of Bodmin at about 9.30pm every road was grid locked so we waited for about a hour out came the potty light and the os road atlas(all we had) and we navigated the last few miles up and down some big unsalted roads with sheet ice on with so we drove very carfuly well two british off road class champs and a Mist works co-driver calling the bends the disco was grate fun just the wife was half egging us on and half complaning that the dogs may get sick. We came across a big merc swift van that was doing a Italian Job impretion off a wall on a bend but no one was around so we didn't stay to help after all the fun on the empty back roads. We rejoind the A38 to find traffic again remember ths was 11pm by this stage and all the truck lined up on the roads and the vans all waiting to get out of Bodmin some had been there all day pour guys. We drove out across the main round about and between two trucks and into Bodmin I got a odd look from a policeman in a Disco due to I was playing on a round about trying to get her to slid out more but we quickly moved on and parked up at the Sister inlaw's for a hot meal and a few beers with her four refugee's that all stayed due to they could not get home.

Long time to get down there but feeling jealous, must have been fun :)

I was down in Penzance on Friday morning with work. A little light drizzle, nothing much. Set out at about 9am to head back to Swansea. All fine 'til we hit Bodmin, when the traffic ground to a halt. Fortunately, I was in the works 4x4 (not a Land Rover :angry: !), so engaged 4WD and continued. The main problem was the hills. Artics were losing traction on the way up, and I think were wary of jack-knifing on the way down. The problem was compounded by roadworks which had reduced the dual carriageway to single lanes.

After two stops of about an hour and a half each, with half a mile between them, the road cleared, just as the radio announced that it was 'a serious incident' and the military were going to be called in.

Finally got home about 8pm - twice as long as the journey usually takes.

Jim