what size tyre

yogibear47.lee

You can fit 255/70R16 to a D2 with no lift - I have those on mine

I would think 265/75R16 might be possible but it depends on rim offset too

Of course when we are pretty much guessing as to what age of Discovery we are talking about from three different models and nineteen years of production, any advice given is necessarily somewhat general :)

Hi if it's a Disco 1 then 235/85/16 (defender size) will fit easily enough - you will have to make a very small "camel cut" to the rear arch and adjust the lock stops a tiny bit.

This is mine fitted with 235/85/16 Cooper Discoverer STT's - cant even notice the small cut.

post-6099-1203019097_thumb.jpg

It will however affect your speedo reading slightly and your accelleration/power slightly( due to the change in gearing) - this will be noticable in High but not in Low range.

Hope this helps

You can fit 255/70R16 to a D2 with no lift - I have those on mine

I would think 265/75R16 might be possible but it depends on rim offset too

Of course when we are pretty much guessing as to what age of Discovery we are talking about from three different models and nineteen years of production, any advice given is necessarily somewhat general :)

265/75/R16 fit with out a lift but screw your gearing

Based on my own experience... 1.5" lift, D1 3dr, factory flares.

• 225/75R16 - BFG AT - no problems under any conditions.
  • 245/70R16 - GY AT/R - no problems, but lightly touching the lower rear corner of both rear guards at full articulation. Chains would rub for sure. Steering stops req slight adjustment.
  • 31x10.5R15 - Dunlop AT2, KL71 - Front OK (steering stops adjusted), rear required trimming the rear guards and also "lipping" the leading edge of the rear guards. Also the max (dia) size if an LRA aux fuel tank is fitted as the tyre rubs on the tank as it is.

I found that pushing the rear lower part of the rear guards out by extending the little stay brackets allowed me to avoid camel cutting, but I had to trim the return lip. Means the guards still look bog standard... so plod leaves me alone... so far :P

16" rims were factory standard 16x7" 33P offset.

15" rims are aftermarket 15x7" 19P offset.

Don't underestimate the effect of wheel offset on what will fit and what your turning circle will be. Also, some tyres are bigger than others in the same size.

265x75xR16 on Modulars / 8 spokes will still require some arch trimming on full articulation, as will 235x85xR16. Both are ideal fitment once you fit Paddock / Roccia style flares (ie dont hit inner arches, only wings). If you're on a budget buy Defender flares and trim 2" off them to reduce the size - cheap and look quite smart :)

• 2 weeks later...

A camel cut refers to the need to trim the rear edge of the rear wheel arches as these are the closest bits to the tyres and are first things that get crunched when oversize tyres are fitted. In its' simiplest form, it's a diagonal cut from the point on the arch where it meets the horizonal body crease down to about 2 inches back from the original lower corner. There are different versions, however, depending generally on what size tyre is to be fitted and how much effort is put into making it look neat.

The name comes from the Camel Trophy Discoverys, which were the first to be modified in this way to accomodate the 7.00 x 16 tyres they were fitted with (the early ones, anyway).

A camel cut refers to the need to trim the rear edge of the rear wheel arches as these are the closest bits to the tyres and are first things that get crunched when oversize tyres are fitted. In its' simiplest form, it's a diagonal cut from the point on the arch where it meets the horizonal body crease down to about 2 inches back from the original lower corner. There are different versions, however, depending generally on what size tyre is to be fitted and how much effort is put into making it look neat.

The name comes from the Camel Trophy Discoverys, which were the first to be modified in this way to accomodate the 7.00 x 16 tyres they were fitted with (the early ones, anyway).

• 1 month later...
265/70/16 Machos on mine and have had to attack the rear arches slightly

RRX, I'm assuming you've got a 2" lift?

;) Just for sake of being thorough.

I'm also battling with this decision at the moment.