Something that could affect us all one day

disco_al

Is this the bit that worries you?

Quote from web site.

"The latest news to worry ACE is that SVA will cease to be at the end of March 2009. As you will see from The Birth of ACE the SVA is a very necessary piece of legislation should you be modifying or scratch building a vehicle. The proposal is that it will be replaced with IVA. However there are no copies available for inspection nor is any public consultation needed as it will come into force due to the signing of the EU (non constitution) Treaty. This means it will simply enter our Statutes with no input from our own Government or, more specifically, the people it purports to represent.

Enquiries have shown that the IVA has been looked at by VOSA and that there are currently some ‘showstoppers’ that would effectively stop home building, or modifying, as most cars would be unable to comply. For instance, the IVA would require ALL vehicles to be fitted with ABS and that the system should be certified, by the manufacturer, as being suitable for its application!

VOSA are keen to have the support of all those who SVA currently affects to enable a usable system to replace SVA. However, it appears fairly obvious that the test will become more stringent and there is the possibility that the class structure may be broken down more, with increasing levels of regulations to meet."

This sounds bad?

For instance, the IVA would require ALL vehicles to be fitted with ABS and that the system should be certified, by the manufacturer, as being suitable for its application!

how many kit cars/challenge trucks/bobtails etc are going to be able to fit a working manufacturer approved ABS system to the car/truck or whatever?

how many people on here building hybrids for road/off road trial use would find themselves being unable to drive their pride and joy on the public road because of a Brussels directive that does not allow for home builds?

This is just the tip of iceberg. With all the Health and Safety nazis taking control I reckon the new rules will prohibit:

Chassis mods

Engine changes

Bodywork changes

Seating changes

Changes to lighting

Changes to braking systems

Non standard tyres

Maybe not all in March 09 but the writing is on the wall!

This is just the tip of iceberg. With all the Health and Safety nazis taking control I reckon the new rules will prohibit:

Chassis mods

Engine changes

Bodywork changes

Seating changes

Changes to lighting

Non standard tyres

Maybe so............ but it is very difficult if not impossible for them to make retrospective vehicle legislation changes,

Examples are ...........emission tests......... higher tax based on emssions............ the SVA we have today.............airbag laws .........seat belt laws...................... recent bull bar laws..........etc..........

One of the reasons is that it is assumed that most vehicle's have a life span .................. LR's can go on forever if you just keep changing the chassis and bulkhead every 20 years........... ;)

look on the bright side .............. if this cr@p comes in from date blah, blah, blah..........then todays LR's might be worth a little more to the right buyer in the future.....

:)

Ian

Chassis mods

Engine changes

Bodywork changes

Seating changes

Changes to lighting

Non standard tyres

Yepp, that is what it is like here.

Any changes you want to make to your vehicle outside set parameters from the

type-approval have to be documented as acceptable for the vehicle in question.

Some changes are a definate no-no like chassis mods, and some changes can invoke

extra taxes like engine changes.

OOO fun... :ph34r:

My insurance company have already implemented the new regulations. I have to negotiate with them to be allowed to add chequerplate sills to my Defender. They would certainly cancel the insurance if I started talking about different chassis, 6 cylinder engines, rock sliders etc. Good to know they are ahead of the game!

MINESAPINT

Oh c**k - about to have no workshop, very little money and rapidly running out of time.... superb! :angry:

On annother note what will this mean for small volume manufactureres like Caterham and Ariel? Surely this is going to have a really big impact on them.

I suspect another Brussels Directive drawn up by non-elected commissioners that will be passed into British law without so much as a murmur from the British government, putting another nail into the coffin of British industry. Why was it up to the German government to get all upset about the Commissions proposal for average CO2 emissions from a company's whole range to be under a certain level? They complained because Mercedes and Porsche in particular don't have a hope of meeting the proposed new rules. What about Aston Martin, Land Rover, Jaguar - how will they do? If Land Rover is sold to Tata, will teh EU count all of Tata's cars to work out the average? That could save Land Rovers, because with a bit of luck, their Nano could come in well under (although it's no eco-car). If not, then Land Rover will have to be sold (for 2p) to someone like Fiat, who make tons of small economical cars.

I never used to be anti-European, but this sort of c**p makes me want to vote UKIP.