LT77 gearbox

Hi people, I have had a defender for about 8 months and it seems the gearbox has gone! it still drives but it jumps out of 1st & 2nd when you start off or CRUNCHES like mad when you try to change into those gears. The only gear that does not make a noise is 4th gear but its hard to start off at a junction in 4th!?

So I took it to a landrover centre near me and he wants £1500 for a recon gearbox! (is that normal) I have fitted engines before without any help to rover metro's and mini's so I thought what the **(><" I will fit the bloody gearbox myself, I can buy one for about £400.

Would anyone suggest I do or I don't!

I don't mind hard work and I am pretty switched on I think!

I would really appreciate your thoughts on this Guys as you have all the experience.

dennis

Dennis, I am no mechanic, but would like to think I could muddle through it, you will get loads of help on here if required. as for a recon LT77 box about £350 seems about the mark, £1500 I would say is for a new one.

Have a look in the tech archive, Les has loads of great photos and knowledge in there, may be one of fitting.

Oh yes, Welcome to LR 4x4, drop some details in on the Members Trucks page.

Plus, get some pics up for us to see, we are very nosey :ph34r:

Cool thanks, the guy in the garage did actually specify it would be RECON! I think everything he does is double the price, a starter moter for the same vehicle is £198! whereas everywhere else it was around £100.

Thanks for the encouragement I really need it.

I will get posting and looking.

dennis

Hi people, I have had a defender for about 8 months and it seems the gearbox has gone! it still drives but it jumps out of 1st & 2nd when you start off or CRUNCHES like mad when you try to change into those gears. The only gear that does not make a noise is 4th gear but its hard to start off at a junction in 4th!?

So I took it to a landrover centre near me and he wants £1500 for a recon gearbox! (is that normal) I have fitted engines before without any help to rover metro's and mini's so I thought what the **(><" I will fit the bloody gearbox myself, I can buy one for about £400.

Would anyone suggest I do or I don't!

I don't mind hard work and I am pretty switched on I think!

I would really appreciate your thoughts on this Guys as you have all the experience.

dennis

Buy yourself an engine hoist for just over £100. Sling from in the cab. Undo bits. Pull back. lower to floor.

buy clutch kit and clutch arm as well.

Buy a Haynes manual and use it for 'guidance'.

Also best to say what part of the world you are from, so we can help you with suppliers etc.

You guys are awesome (or maybe just landy geeks) I am from KENT about 20 mile up from the south coast near ASHFORD.

So someone has suggested removing it from within the Cab!?

Thanks GUYS for your encouragement.

dennis

#You sound like you don't believe me about the hoist in cab ?

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...&hl=gearbox

Thats how i did mine !

Sure - buy an engine crane - use it the once, and then let it sit in the corner to rot away - good way to waste money. You can slide the gearbox back without a crane and remove it by just undoing a few more bolts. This thread is replacing the gearbox with an Ashcrofts one. Vehicle is a 90, but 110 are the same method. The thread goes as far as removing the clutch, flywheel, and replacing the crankshaft rear main bearing oil seal, but is still descriptive for what you need to do.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=6840

Les.

Sure - buy an engine crane - use it the once, and then let it sit in the corner to rot away - good way to waste money. You can slide the gearbox back without a crane and remove it by just undoing a few more bolts. This thread is replacing the gearbox with an Ashcrofts one. Vehicle is a 90, but 110 are the same method. The thread goes as far as removing the clutch, flywheel, and replacing the crankshaft rear main bearing oil seal, but is still descriptive for what you need to do.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=6840

Les.

Inexperience ... balancing heavy objects on blocks of wood and trolley jacks whilst moving them. :ph34r:

It's easiest if you have a pit to work over or a lift but it's reasonably doable without, some have even done it on their own at side of the road! At least one helper makes life easier.

You'll need to take the gearbox tunnel and the cover under the centre seat out. Remove the gear lever turret and high/low mechanism off the top of the box, they have to come off anyway and you don't need to lower box so much to clear seat box if they are off.

Drop the propshafts off, remove crossmember (will be well rusted in), disconect speedo cable, switch wires and anything else still connected, then support back of engine. If you haven't got a gearbox jack or an engine hoist, remove the transfer box from the gearbox first, it's an awkward shape to handle but liftable. Then pull the gearbox off. All done from underneath but with someone in the cab with a strop taking the weight.

Reassembly is simply reverse of the above! :lol: If you can round up some mates and have somewhere dry, do it yourself. If not, seriously consider getting someone to do it for you. Ashcroft do the best boxes, just need to find someone local to fit it.

Im getting excited ! buying an engine hoist!! I have a shed full of tools I used once. My brother said its dead easy "he fitted one in poland with only an angle torch and a red lens. All on his own!? sounds like a typical squaddie story.

I am going to invite him down from the north for a weekend of drink & well gearbox fitting.

Infact he could pick my gearbox up when he is driving down.

Thanks guys I will no doubt need your infinite wisdom along the way.

dennis

I did it last year on mi tod with the Disco, spend ages making a cradle to be gearbox on that got binned!

Ended up useing a piece of 3x2 through the car (doors open) on scaffolding, rachet strap onto gearbox, rachet straps around gearbox onto chassis, slowly slowly and lower it down no probs, reverse to put it back.

Make sure you change your spigot bearing and any knackered oil seals at the same time.

Good luck!

Inexperience ... balancing heavy objects on blocks of wood and trolley jacks whilst moving them. :ph34r:

I have a motor bike jack £49.99 from makro bolt some wood to it and i can roll it out from under the landy in one go.

got to put new gearbox and transfer box on mine when i get time.

Tim

I first joined this forum cos my clutch fork failed. I was directed to a thread with all the info and pictures you could want! My workshop manual got demoted to mouse mat, they were that concise! I found you could maul the box about sat inside the cab with a rope around the box and it sat on a length of wood held up by trolly jacks. Crude, awkward but it worked. Between you and another it should be fine. A simple but awkward job. Incidently, when i got mine back together, i found i had much the same problem as you've got now, only 3rd gear though. Strange yet typically land rover. :)

Follow the instructions in the thread and take care - you should be fine. I use this method every time and even the first time I felt safe. Both the transfer box and gearbox are removed by hand from above, so there is no real risk to yourself.

Les.

Thanks Les, I have took your advice and ordered a box today from Ashcrofts, it arrives next tuesday. Good job really as I was driving home today and it wont stay in third gear at all now. Would you suggest changing the clutch regardless of its condition or should i just use the old one?

thanks for your advice and encouragement.

dennis

Would you suggest changing the clutch regardless of its condition or should i just use the old one?

For £80-£100 would you want to take the gearbox off again? Also you may want to strengthen the clutch fork as sometimes these can pop through from the pressure, I think Les may sell them.

Mark.

As has already been said above- an engine hoist is the safe and easy way... I am sure there will be someone local to you that can lend you one. Whilst the box is out I would definitely drop in a new clutch and all the associated bits- release bearing arm etc etc... It is not expensive and while the box is out anyway you might as well...

Shrek

its not too bad a job, me and a mate did one on my 200 tdi disco a few years back in my driveway with hand tools and a trolley jack - oh and a bloudy big hammer to get the gearbox crossmember out!

definetly replace the clutch and pretty much anything else you can while in there - its no fun dropping it twice.

If possible buy as many new bolts for x member etc as possible so even if you destroy them on way out, it doesnt matter!

As above, do not even think about doing it without changing all the clutch bits!

You'll need to swap the bellhousing and a load of dowels over to the new box which can be fun. If I did it again I'd get new dowels, can take a bit of work to get old ones out.

Never had trouble getting crossmember bolts out but the member itself can take some hammering out, it's shocking how much rust there will be even in a newish vehicle. Have a spray can of black sh!te handy when you put it back.

Just persevere and don't be afraid to apply more force or use a bigger hammer than you think is safe! :blink: