wheel spacers

k9unit

As I've put in other threads before now - I know 2 people who've put them on their Landys, one a Disco and the other a 90, one set was a budget buy, one was a premium make. Both were loctited on assembly. Both came loose repeatedly. Both owners gave up and removed them in the end.

Mo

I totally agree with Mo on this subject.

If you need a better ofset for any reason then buy wheels not spacers it is the main reason for my tyre question on the disco forum.

I want to keep my alloys and want to fit the widest tyres possible without spacers.

I have been in a defender when a properly fitted "quality" spacer has worked loose. Luckily I was the passenger, it was a hot day and the spacer that had a mind of it own was on my side. We were only doing about 50 at the time and I made the driver stop imediately.

All I can say is thankgod he wasnt't doing 70 on a motorway with his family in the vehicle.

I am sure there are some of us on here that make/sell or just swear by them but at the end of the day its your life and others too.

I can go on but my soapbox won't support my weight for to long.

Andy

I use wheelspacers, but only because I couldn't find 17" wheels with the right offset.

They're from Paddocks, and needed modifications to fit over the HD flanges from the same company. :angry:

The don't seem to have a tendency to work loose, but do act like real mudtraps, so I regularly take 'em off to clean everything.

• 1 year later...

Why would spacers come loose? They are in effect the same as bolting a wheel on. So, logically, if the spacers come loose then so should your wheels.

I'm looking to get a set for my 2a but I'm a bit concerned about whether to get alloy (aluminium) or steel? There isn't much difference in price between the two metals or even between different brands/suppliers.

I have the Paddocks alloy ones, been fine so far, regularly checked and always found to be tight. Used loctite and torque wrench to fit. They use captive 10.8 bolts for studs. Only problem with them is it makes the wheel a bit more difficult to mount as it doesn't have the hub to guide it anymore (a shovel helps) plus there's more to undo for maintenance.

I had Spacers on my disoc for about 100,000 miles and never had an issue.

They werent cheep i can't remeber the brand but they were TUV stamped, i got them from Keith Gotts when i worked there i guess they still sell them.

I always made sure the hub was spotless and tourqued up the nuts holding them up to the correct tourque for an alloy wheel, never had an issue.

If you use good quality certified kit and not back street bodgers stuff where the maker hasnt done any resurch into the strength of there product i personaly cant see an issue as said before if a wheel dosent come loose why should a spacer ?

Just my 2p,,,,i'll go crawl back under my stone now.