Autobox problems - I seem to have lost 4th

Jon White

Anyone know anything about autoboxes?

The 4speed ZF on my RRC seems to have lost 4th gear all of a sudden. 1st - 3rd all work as they should, and change up and down fine, but it will never shift into 4th. I've checked that it is in D before anyone asks!

Anyone got any bright ideas of anything I can check/change or is it just find another autobox and swap it out time? Theres no mention of losing 4th on the FAQ's on ashcrofts site, so I looked it up on Rave. Rave says no 4th gear is either a stuck 3rd/4th shift valve or a broken no4 clutch.

Is there anything I can jiggle/poke/thump/worth a try?

Cheers

Jon

Thanks chaps - the missus says she checked the fluid earlier this week but I'll check it again as I dont beleive her!

The fluid in it was changed about 10K ago when a new torque conveter was fitted.

Its kinda sounding like the box is toast then.......

Sigh.......anyone know how much one weighs? Looks like a piggy of a job to change!

Jon

Ouch! That sounds like fun then! Thats alot more than an LT77! I reckon one of them is about 40kg odd!

Is there any worth in me dropping the vavle block out of the bottom of the box and checking for stuck valves as I can do that without taking the box out? I was kind of reckoning I've got nothing to lose as the box is toast otherwise anyway....

Jon

When you say you're sure it's in D, are you really sure? The cable on my dads old car stretched, so you weren't always sure where it was, and would have to move it further to get the right gear (eg. 3 or N to get D). Worth starting in 1st and changed up through the gears to check it.

Richard

Hmmmmmmm thanks chaps.

I will check the linkage and the kickdown cable first just in case its something as stupid as that!

Failing that then i think I'll drop the valve block off the bottom and have a looksee - I've got nothing to lose as the box is scrap otherwise!

I've checked the rave cd and it says:-

No 4th gear D selected:-

4th to 3rd downshift valve stuck

or

3rd to 4th upshift valve stuck

or

Clutch brake 4 failure

I'm kinda hoping that as it came on all of a sudden its gonna be a stuck valve, as I'd be surprised if you'd manage to burn out the 4th gear clutches - much more likely to do the 1st gear one!

I'll have a look as it tomorrow night with a bit of luck.

Jamesmoree - you have a pm.

Cheers

Jon

Slightly off topic but can someone tell me the distance from the front of the bellhousing (back of the block) to the back of the flexplate (torque converter side)?

Building an 88 hybrid but havent got a V8 to measure from, using a 4l straight six

Thanks