My latest trip on the big yellow taxi

GBMUD

The wife and I went for a week in Scotland - but only got to the lake district before the NSF wheelbearing let go. With the benefit of hindsight I should have gone on to somewhere near Glasgow to effect repairs today but we came home... on this...

post-209-1208195708_thumb.jpg

V8 LPG Ford F150 crew cab - rather more comfortable than the average recovery truck.

The Landrover is now mended (new stub axle :( ) but she'll not be keen to go holidaying in the Landrover again!

Chris

The same thing happened to me on the way home from work in my disco, took the AA 3 trucks and 5 hours to get me the remaining 35 miles home.

1st truck took 40minutes getting there (from a depot 5miles away), and wasn´t even a AA truck, it was a clapped old thing from Egerton's. The PTO wouldn´t work, so he had to ring his mate.

2nd Truck arrived, another clapped out one from Egerton's with no seat belts! After setting off, the driver informs me he can only take me to place of safety and drops me at service station 5miles up the motorway.

3rd Truck (proper one from the AA) arrives 2 hrs later!

I modified and abused my existing box spanner Tim... It will all be tip-top before going away. :)

After my last encounter with the RAC (6+ hours of sitting, waiting, occasionally being fed BS by RAC controllers) I was quite clear on the telephone about the level of service I was expecting. I had the local garage on the phone within 5 minutes of hanging up to the RAC and their driver was with me in about 40 minutes with the correct (if slightly eccentric) vehicle for the job. The trip home was about 6 hours which is not too bad - I did not envy the driver who got me back at mid-night and then had to turn round and drive back.

Chris

Is that on a fifth wheel trailer?

I lost a timing belt on the 6x6 in Snowdonia many years ago and called the AA at 4pm. I told them it was a 6x6 Land Rover with a timing belt gone on a 3.6 Ford York engine and to recover me.

2 hours later - a van turns up with a fan belt for a Land Rover.

6 hours later - an RAC lorry turns up having been called out by the AA.

4 hours later - arrive at the AA depot in Birmingham.

3 hours later - arrive back in London.

im with the RAC and have been very happy with them had them out 3 times in the last 8 months (and not once to my landy supprisingly )

twise for problems with one of my dads cherry pickers (dispite commercials not beeing covered) both times out within 30mins

and the 3rd time when the balancer shaft belt broke and jumped the timing belt on my evo 6 , called them up told them there was no way they could repair it at the roadside and as it was AWD had to be a total lift (not spec lift) with in 10mins a local contactor turned up , winched it on , took it home (just under a mile :( ) and acctally dropped the car back in to my garage for me

more than pleased with there service todate

The LPG capacity we estimated to be about 600l enough the driver said to get from the lakes to the far side of London and back without refilling. The trailer is on a 5th wheel arrangement so hitting it would mean that you hit the 30'+ trailer before you hit the LPG tank.

I replaced the one big nut with two thin one and a tab washer as per Tdi. I will do the rest on Saturday when I had planned a maintenance session anyway.

Cheers

Chris

We grease all wheel bearings on vehicles here on the first service, because they aren't properly lubricated in the factory and never have been for at least 10 years. Since starting that (about 6/7 years ago I think) I can't recall a single failure of a wheel bearing - if it isn't done they often cause trouble as 3/4 years old, like Chris's just has. The stuff put in on assembly is virtually non-existent.

Moral of the story is if you have a newish Defender, grease the bearings as early as possible, all you really need to do is take off the drive member and the outer bearing, hose a good quantity of grease into the hub and put the bearing back in and it will distribute around both bearings with time, its quicker than taking the whole lot off and seems to do the job if done at an early stage. It is very common to find red rust inside the drive member from the complete lack of anything vaguely related to grease!

The trailer is on a 5th wheel arrangement so hitting it would mean that you hit the 30'+ trailer before you hit the LPG tank.

As an aside, does anyone know the legislation that allows a small fifth wheel set up like that or can point me the right direction please. I have searched all over and can't find anything outside of large good vehicle regs.