td5 or tdi as road car

hi im thinking about a 1999 defender td5 for a road/towing/mild offroading and i need opinions

also what is the insurance like on them oh and tax

and what sort of mpg are you getting from a 90 td5 station wagon

watson

hi im thinking about a 1999 defender td5 for a road/towing/mild offroading and i need opinions

also what is the insurance like on them oh and tax

and what sort of mpg are you getting from a 90 td5 station wagon

watson

If its pre 2001 it doesnt go into the funny new tax brackets, so next year a 1999 TD5 will be £185 to tax I think.

On my 1999 TD5 I used to get ~250 miles on a tank which I think works out to about 25mpg. Thats chipped on 35" tyres and a roll cage for extra drag. Oh and I dont hang about.

Ben

Tax is same as any (pre '06) landrover, so £205 or there abouts. MPG wise i used to get over 28mpg mixed driving, and i have a "spirited" style on road, the TD5 and TDi are chalk and cheese, personally the TD5 is much much nicer to drive, i hate my 200!!

yea i think td5 is probably the way to go for road im still not convinced for extreme offroad

is it worth getting them chipped and does that effect your insurance allot

Decide what you want to do with it, ask your insurance, concentrate on spelling.

Les.

yea i think td5 is probably the way to go for road im still not convinced for extreme offroad

is it worth getting them chipped and does that effect your insurance allot

watson

ECU remap or plugin box makes a BIG difference to performance but a lot of insurerers will add a big premium for it.

Getting around 370 miles from a tank on my 2005 TD5 110 (standard ECU). Comfortable at 70mph and on a 2,600 mile trip to Italy got 400 miles per tank at 70. Economy drops fast if sustaining 80-85mph.

No problem pulling up hills etc.

No experience of earlier models except lightweight (bed of nails) but it seems most improvements have been emmissions / road oriented so if that's your game I'd go for the latest model you can afford.

Only real issue with the TD5 on the road is the sluggish acceleration when pulling out of junctions (occasionally seems to get bogged down at inopportune moments). Maybe an ECU remap might improve this?

Insurance cheap as chips but then I'm in my dotage.

is it possible to get the ecu to bring in the turbo more qwikly or mess about with the turbo

watson

Yes, lots can be done, remap, intercooler, hybrid turbo, boost boxes, rebore, new crank/pistons/head...its an engine, anything is possible!

The question is, why are you so worried, you dont even have one and need to actually drive one first, also if you are young then you wont get insurance if you remap it etc, not unless you are minted.

EDIT: on your earlier point on extreme offroading....what do you class as extreme?? Quite a few of the more experienced UK guys use them now (Gigglepin, devon etc) and they are excellent engines, i have one in my D-Lander, and thats hardly designed to potter about and just go green laning!

Josh, what sort of budget do you have to cover everything?

If you can afford to modify, chip etc.. a later Td5 may be better with the 02 upgrades long term, or if insurance is going to be crippling get a Tdi and have some fun with it. I used my red 300Tdi truck cab as a commuter to London every day for a year and trialled it every month. No problem.

Richard

may i ask what spelling

watson

Oh dear!!!! :lol::lol:

allot is spelt "A LOT"

im is spelt "I'm"

qwikly is spelt "quickly"

offroad is two words,

And the TD5 works absolutely wonderfully in heavy off road situations,

Ask, me, Jim Gigglething, Simon D44, Ced, and many others who have been using / abusing theirs for years now.

Don't worry, they are as reliable as they get.

Lara,

Or use a spell checker like me ;);)

my '99MY td5 goes well, 330miles to a tank but it's got and overdrive so that helps and is chipped, (ECU replacement) i don't think pre 02MY td5 are flashable. ECU change added about 10% to insurance.

If its primarily a road vehicle then i would go for a td5 over a tdi.

tax - £185 on mine (Hardtop renewed 2 days ago). i think if you get a leter td5 SW etc it will go into the new bands for road tax next year.

carnt say much about the differnce between the two but my insurance was about £950 fully comp with the NFU but if your under 21/25 carnt remeber which they dont like giving insurance to you. helps if your parent are with them first. even then you may struggle.

I realise all the younger & not presently own a LR members want to have the LR pleasure, but if I was in that position, I'd go for a smaller vehicle & cheaper insurance & get the driving experience & knowledge first & carefully build your 'no claims' bonus & save for the LR you want at the same time & build up the research to help when the time arrives where it's possible to buy one.

I'm still on my 1st & last LR, only owned it since '93 & wouldn't be without it.

I realise all the younger & not presently own a LR members want to have the LR pleasure, but if I was in that position, I'd go for a smaller vehicle & cheaper insurance & get the driving experience & knowledge first & carefully build your 'no claims' bonus & save for the LR you want at the same time & build up the research to help when the time arrives where it's possible to buy one.

I'm still on my 1st & last LR, only owned it since '93 & wouldn't be without it.

I will start driving on the road in November and my car will be a little 1.4hdi 206 pug. £35 tax, 65mpg and insurance group 4, ticks all the boxes for me!! I have to go for this, as I would find it very hard and expensive to insure a fully prep'd bobtail ;):lol: