2008 V8 Defender

streaky

I was down at the workshop today and spotted a shiney brand spanking new 2008 Defender in the top parking spot.

WTF is that doing here I asked. Any work to be done on them is under warranty from the main dealer in Dubai.

Apparently one of the big sheiks bought it yesterday and doesn't like the performance of the new Transit engined 6 speed manual.... so with just 40km on the clock he bought it down to the workshop for a conversion.

In place of the Transit deisel engined 6 speed power plant & box is going a JE 5.2Efi. A brand new R380 box from Ashcrofts with the smooth shift conversion...what ever that is? A full roll cage and probably a load more on top.

Price for the conversion was quoted at 23,000 pounds...thats not including the price of the brand new Defender. The Sheik dropped a 6000 pound deposit to get the work started!

Going spare after the conversion....one delivery mileage only Transit engine and 6 speed manual gearbox. Offers anyone?

I quite like the new Defender engine set up actually...why he wants to change it is beyond me. Okay.... a 5.2 JE is no comparison really is it!

S.

Mine is a 89 with a 5.3 race developments on a 3spd AWB art-car shifter and supposedly is sub 5 seconds 0-60.

I struggle to stop the wheel spin on 235/70 MT's and tarmac.

My mate has a TVR and recons there is not much in it to about 75mph then the racer just runs out of gears

4 mpg

Mine is a 89 with a 5.3 race developments on a 3spd AWB art-car shifter and supposedly is sub 5 seconds 0-60.

I struggle to stop the wheel spin on 235/70 MT's and tarmac.

My mate has a TVR and recons there is not much in it to about 75mph then the racer just runs out of gears

4 mpg

:lol::lol::lol: I need to have a go. If it's sub 5 then its a very quick car!

Jules, sounds like you need taller tyres or higher transfer gears. I raised mine as it just stood still or went sideways in second off road.

I have to say if I owned an oil well I would be looking to General Motors for my engine, not JE.

Yes I agree

I will possibly be going for transfure upgrade as I would think bigger tyres would lead to shaft problems I would expect

I know very little about the old 3spd but after the weekend I would imagin I will have a better idea what I'm dealing with.

Brooklyns have given me and Ali, Glen's old Td5 race spec 90 to play with take to Gaydon and show.

• 7 months later...
I raised mine as it just stood still or went sideways in second off road.

You do have a little more than rover V8 can reasonably off though :)

We have toyed with raising the gearing a little (still may do) as it tops out not much over 80 but the trade off in a little more top and is the acceleration. Given we spend more time accelerating that topping out not sure if it's going to be a good move to up the gearing, maybe a little would help on some courses. But with only an ickle 4.0 TVR lump need to get the best acceleration out of what power there is.

The other thing to consider, Mark, is whether the gears are in the right for the rev range of the engine in relation to your usual corner exit speed. You could find you were down a gear on exit with changed gearing, requiring another gear change and probably slower.

Yes, that's why we've we been studying the graphs I created for various transfer ratios (milner box) to see how the gears compared to what we have now.

Currently second seems ideal for the nadgery bits and accelerating out of the slower corners. Raising it about 1/2 a gear could have and adverse effect on this, raising a full gear bringing 1st into play more would probably be too much and give too big a gap between gears and causing the revs to drop off too much.

The main box is a ZF which ovbiously gives a certain amount of slip/fuzzyness to the ratios over a direct manual. Don't generally find it hunting for gears and only occasionally find it bogging down and have to lock it down a gear - jag shifter with U gate allows this easier than the LR shifter.

Shame isn't not a quick change transfer box to make it easier to try alternative gearing or even set the car up for each course. Maybe we should dig the old SAT's out for an event :lol:

Oh Streaky sorry for dragging your thread OT, well not really :P

Thanks Steve, that's a very kind offer, might take you up on that. 1.4 would be a bit too high I think, 1.66 could be an interesting choice, more in line with the gearing on the old car with 1.66 LT230. Currently running about 2 by my calculations.

Not had the Milner box apart, is it an straight forward job to swap the cogs?

Not had the Milner box apart, is it an straight forward job to swap the cogs?

Yes, easy enough just take your time easing the bearings off the shafts and watch the oil seals. The seals are pretty poor which is probably why they leak as soon as you get get any wear where they run on the flanges.

was at an auction the other day - 12 duratec transit engines with ancilliaries as removed (condition not known) went for .................................wait for it.....................................................gbp5k :o

A brand new unused BMW short engine 2,5 diesel 5 cylinder went for just over gbp1k

Streaky, when I was at Al Tayer two years ago Fadi had a 110 in there for a Sheikh as well that was converted into a hunting vehicle. There was a TD5 in there with every add on for more power you could have but it still wasn't to his liking. he bought a new Disco ( I think ,or it was a RR) with a V8 in it and had the V8 put in the defender.

Any (e-mailable) pictures of the state your old 130 is currently in ?

Hi Ard....the 130 has been sent to Saudi where the Sheik has a coach builders doing the custom body work. He bought a complete running Rolls Royce in Musafa just for the interior & I found him a period radiator grill on Ebay....once it's back here I'll go down to palace for a butchers and pictures etc.

Moving along...I see we have a newbie here from Dubai with one of the 90SVX's....how does that POS engine go in the dunes or haven't you tried it yet? I see you went for the hard top version...good call, they are alot more practicle.

Nadim!!!!! Good to see you lurking here mate! Hope all well with you and er'in doors? Any visits planned for the UAE?

Regards.

S.