Just a thought.....

Guest WALFY

I'm all for this but approved by WHO? Do the mods get the say so or by general vote. It is such an ambiguous topic you would never get a definitive list. For every 100 Yays there will be a couple of Nays.

Better in my mind that if you are intending to buy/make something then just ask. There will then be up to date info on your chosen topic. Rather than XYZ company being good last week and then absolute rubbish this week.

The forum 'officially' endorsing or criticising a company and/or their services opens up a real can of worms and goes against this forums stated aims of being independent.

Although, not everyone thinks LR4x4 is independent - Dylan, aka 'Mr Brian' :lol: (aka 'Mr Paranoid' :lol::lol: )

has this to say about LR4x4 on the LRO forum -

"discount any opinions about me on the lr4x4.com forum completely. They are worthless. It is full of people from the trade and their stooges"

"lr4x4 touts itself as "independent" but the administrators do not make clear who is running the site. Is this because they want free reign to libel anyone they want to with impunity?"

Here - Land Rover Owner Forum Index » LRO magazine readers forum » before n after

Paul.

couldnt you put up another column titled web links or sommit (4x4 related only)

just have the name of the company and the link to there page sure mods could make it

so that its read only, so it doesnt become a b1tching page

could also add the amount of donation/discount to lr4x4/members

The forum 'officially' endorsing or criticising a company and/or their services opens up a real can of worms and goes against this forums stated aims of being independent.

Although, not everyone thinks LR4x4 is independent - Dylan, aka 'Mr Brian' :lol: (aka 'Mr Paranoid' :lol::lol: )

"discount any opinions about me on the lr4x4.com forum completely. They are worthless. It is full of people from the trade and their stooges"

"lr4x4 touts itself as "independent" but the administrators do not make clear who is running the site. Is this because they want free reign to libel anyone they want to with impunity?"

Here - Land Rover Owner Forum Index » LRO magazine readers forum » before n after

Paul.

What he means is 'discount anyone who dares to question or critisise me'

Funny how he pops up and talks of libel but never does anything about it.................

Dylan, aka 'Mr Brian' :lol: (aka 'Mr Paranoid' :lol::lol: )

Paul.

:lol:

On that basis I wonder what he says about ORRP and their 55 page thread absolutely slating him, his products, his cat. his cats uncle and anything else connected with B&A :rofl:

I think we can prob just about live with his thoughts of us tho :)

Nige

On that basis I wonder what he says about ORRP and their 55 page thread absolutely slating him, his products, his cat. his cats uncle and anything else connected with B&A :rofl:

That was fair constructive critisism :lol: He was most upset that he couldn't get the thread pulled.

He never provided any of the answers either :rolleyes:

Guest WALFY
Sounds like time I became a moderator then. :rolleyes:

Nick perhaps you and I could moderate the moderators. And really see the bungs, freebies and shenanigans that go on.

Take a snapshot of these mods selected at random ;):P

Les Nice shiny engine. We all know mechanics are poor people

Tony Owns a fleet of veh including a couple of mercs

Chris W Permanently on holiday.

How do they fund their popstar lifestyles??? :unsure::unsure: . I don't have them done as drug barons

See, Now we know their game, we all deserve a slice of the action :P:P:P . But if a certain Orange company offer freebies you can have them :P:P

Sort of what i was expecting from every body...I agree with it :P

couldnt you put up another column titled web links or sommit (4x4 related only)

just have the name of the company and the link to there page sure mods could make it

so that its read only, so it doesnt become a b1tching page

could also add the amount of donation/discount to lr4x4/members

something like this a better idea? just an uneditable (by non mods) list of companies that give a discount to forum members??

I dont see any point at all of having an approved companies list. What one person may like about a company, another may not.

Personally (and I dont want to start THIS up again) I have only used Srapiron once before, and I thought they were pretty good. Almost everyone else cant stand them.

Everyone, please dont take that as an opportunity to start a rant about WHY Scorpion would be rubbish if I wanted to return something etc, etc.....we all know....I'm making a point.

What is best, is what happens already......you start a post saying "I'm thinking of getting a XXX, who would be best to get it from?"

Then everyone gives their 2p worth and tells you where THEY think is best. You end up making your own mind up, but after a few times you have a short-list in your head of who you go to for whatever product you need.

What I did, was go to Billing last year, a month after getting my first Land Rover, and being a bit green, but very far from stupid.....I spent a day chatting to some of the big suppliers on their stand. You will soon see who are robbing little gets with poor customer servive; and who genuinely wants to give you the best product to suit your needs.

As for discounts.....in a year of LR ownership, I have NEVER paid full price for any parts or service I have needed. You want a discount? Ask for one! It is a VERY competitive market out there.....with lots of companies competing for our £££'s for the same or similiar product. For the sake of 5% or 10% of retail price, do you think a company will run the risk of losing your business to a competitor?? Hardly.

They give you 10% off an item that costs £50 because you ask nicely.......£5 is a nice little number to the average bloke on the street, but sod all to them.....and they have a customer for a very long time.

They refuse to give you a discount and they have lost you & perhaps hundreds or thousands of pounds to a competitor....all for a Fiver.

For what its worth though. I will only ever let my vehicle be serviced/repaired by Oak Tree Garage in Luton. And my shortlist includes Devon 4x4, Exmoor Trim, Rebel 4x4, Paddocks & The Land Rover Centre.

HTH

Martin

Edited to add: Actually, I have paid full price for a product!! Simon, you owe me 60p in leiu of a discount on an X-cap!!!!!

The vast majority of companies wouldn't give discount to members of this website - why should they? there are loads of popular Land Rover websites out there, that they may be able to manipulate to some extent (I have an advert in your magazine, so pull the thread). Some companies already offer discount/support this website in some way by either/and donations or discounts, but this is their choice - and most likely because of the freedom from the constraints that other websites suffer from. If a company is that good, then a question will swiftly be answered - X-Eng, Ashcroft Transmissions, Llama 4x4, and of course Turner Engineering. People say these companies are good because they are almost certainly are, but there will always be the awkward bugger - who will swear black is white for any reason - money off, to prove they know not much more than bugger-all, just being a pain, expecting the world for nothing - the list could go on forever.

Someones personal opinion is not necessarily a true reflection of a company that most others think are very good. In the end you makes your choice and takes your chance. If you need to know if a certain company is any good or not, then just ask.

Les.

Nick perhaps you and I could moderate the moderators. And really see the bungs, freebies and shenanigans that go on.

Take a snapshot of these mods selected at random ;):P

Les Nice shiny engine. We all know mechanics are poor people

Tony Owns a fleet of veh including a couple of mercs

Chris W Permanently on holiday.

Mog brand new 110 and a fleet of cars

Paul a brace of homes

Les Brock allegedly owns a L/R

Western has the fuel reserves of Saudi to drive a 110 as far as he has

How do they fund their popstar lifestyles??? :unsure::unsure: . I don't have them done as drug barons

See, Now we know their game, we all deserve a slice of the action :P:P:P . But if a certain Orange company offer freebies you can have them :P:P

we have always been the poor relations :(

Edited to add: Actually, I have paid full price for a product!! Simon, you owe me 60p in leiu of a discount on an X-cap!!!!!

Damn! Thought I'd got away with it. I was going to run away to Brazil and live like a criminal on the proceeds! ;)

Tell you what - if you give me a ring, I'll refund the whole thing so you can have it for free!

Si

All I was asking is can there be a link to websites

i.e

x-eng

Llama

scorpion

Brookwells

Craddock

paddocks

LR Supermarket

Silicon Hoses

A.W.T

Cheviot

Gigglepin

QT

winch Solutions

Ashcroft

If you dont like them, Dont use them

I quite often spend time on here looking thru old posts trying to find website address

that was mentioned in the past

I ordered something from X-eng yesterday but that was only because I new

that I could find there web address thru Si

If you see sommit you like but want to discuss it before you buy it stick a post in the international page.

Damn! Thought I'd got away with it. I was going to run away to Brazil and live like a criminal on the proceeds! ;)

Tell you what - if you give me a ring, I'll refund the whole thing so you can have it for free!

Si

Stop showing off! :D

All I was asking is can there be a link to websites

i.e

x-eng

Llama

scorpion

Brookwells

Craddock

paddocks

LR Supermarket

Silicon Hoses

A.W.T

Cheviot

Gigglepin

QT

winch Solutions

Ashcroft

If you dont like them, Dont use them

I quite often spend time on here looking thru old posts trying to find website address

that was mentioned in the past

I ordered something from X-eng yesterday but that was only because I new

that I could find there web address thru Si

If you see sommit you like but want to discuss it before you buy it stick a post in the international page.

The list of potential links to suppliers and services could be virtually endless, can't all the companies you mentioned be found via Google or similar anyway?

The list of potential links to suppliers and services could be virtually endless, can't all the companies you mentioned be found via Google or similar anyway?

yep

even easier now as most are now on my fav's link